Availability of Tony Martin Era Albums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OzzyIsDio View Post

Brother you and I think alike and love Sabbath alike, 70’s I love your post. What song is heavier than Illusion of Power? How awesome is the title track, Forbidden? I Won’t Cry for You, impeccable,? Wow is all I can say a true raw Sabbath album. Get a Grip, Rusty Angels and Loser Gets It all( Japanese release) and so on, the whole album is a Sabbath Masterpiece, and I like it just the way it sounds, but am looking forward to the remix, you and I are in the minority few regarding Forbidden, but then again the true diehard Sabbath fan never goes along with the masses we have our own minds and hearts when it comes to Sabbath.

Amen!!!!!
    Such a perfect overall description of what magic Forbidden is! I'd be so happy if the Martin era Sabbath albums get re released in their current forms, along with the Forbidden remix!
    ♫Forget all your sorrow, don't live in the past,
    and look to the future, 'cause life goes too fast, you know♫

Comment

Originally posted by BACK TO EDEN View Post

Fantastic find brother! ... That's the type of Martin Era story that make you feel all good inside! ... It's the rarity of this era that allows it to shine so bright with a vinyl pick up like that!!

ElvesWearBoots ,, 100 percent correct , your post is screaming with "intelligence" .. The MARTIN Era contains 50 of the most spectacular tracks ever written .... ENJOY!

sin - lum , I can get carried away with all the CAPS .... Silver , Gold and Platinum status outside of the U.S. for all 5 in different locations ,,, and the lowest seller of the 5 in the U.S. is about to go over 200,000 units moved.

Wheels Of Confusion , love it brother!! , the Wizard Of Oz references never get old.

God Bless Sabbath maniacs
      It`s good to see the album sales have been promising. I only hope that the lack of news for the last few years is a positive sign. Hopefully there will be a big announcement - the 5 Martin albums in a box set with some new 2020 tracks with our two favourite Tony`s ))

Comment

As this thread has ignited everyone`s interest in the Tony Martin era again, I have two questions which perhaps don`t belong in this thread but I`ll try them here:

1) Were there any concerts done by Sabbath with were only made up of Tony Martin era tracks? If so when did these concerts take place?

2) What songs would be considered the "anthem" tracks of the Martin Era? I mean which songs are the ones that "everyone" knows? When looking at the other established eras, Ozzy`s era has the title track, NIB, War Pigs, Paranoid and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath. Dio has Neon Knights, Children of the Sea, Heaven and Hell and Die Young. Is it possible to reach a consensus for the Martin era? :p

Comment

Originally posted by Big Black Shape View Post

As for a tour with the two Tony’s. No way Tony Iommi would put himself through the rigours of touring just to play clubs and small venues. He went out on the highest note possible. Reunion albums and tours with Dio and Ozzy and a subsequent farewell tour.

Agreed, and well said. However, I'll take a slight detour though: a truly proper "farewell" tour could've only happened if the original four concluded it together. That to me will always be a shame that it didn't materialize.

Still, your point is well-taken! Great comments.

Comment

Originally posted by sin - lum View Post
            What songs would be considered the "anthem" tracks of the Martin Era? I mean which songs are the ones that "everyone" knows?
            I wouldn't know about any songs that everyone knows, but I do know songs that every heavy metal fan should know...

From "The Eternal Idol":

Ancient Warrior
            - Such a tremendous song, full of power and great vocal lines, an instant "hell yeah" effect when the song kicks in!

Hard Life To Love
            - What a great rocker, a memorable lead riff, should be played loud at all times.

Glory Ride
            - The lyrics alone paint so many visions of war and heroism, the tune itself roars over, leaving a smoldering trail of carnage and statues of bronze.

Eternal Idol
            - The darkest and heaviest song on the album and thus one of the fiercest songs heavy metal has known. I mean come on, no-one can make a song like this in such a grand style...

From "Headless Cross":

Headless Cross
            - The epic title track, full of best things in Sabbath, riffs from hell, a killer solo, forceful drumming and the vocals are top notch.

Devil & Daughter
            - Instantly recognizable, hard hitting rocker! If you don't step on it while listening to this, you're dead already...

When Death Calls
            - The darkest and heaviest song on the album, a mood of damnation all over it.

Nightwing
            - The wonderful closing song, the most astounding atmosphere found on the album...I become a Nightwing myself when I hear this!

From "Tyr":

Anno Mundi
            - The opening song is so obvious: the beautiful intro starts the journey and then the exploding boom makes this steamtrain roll through your house...

Jerusalem
            - The drumming starts the song in an unforgettable way, the song is such a great rocker through and through...

Sabbath Stones
            - The lengthy and progressive doom moment of the album, starting with volcanic heavyness, culminating with a faster section...a real destroyer of a song! These stones are not for picking, these are strenuously pulled over and dropped in place for ages to come...

Feels Good To Me
            - After 20 years, it still feels so good to me...an unavoidable ballad that I'll never forget. Of what could have been, as well...Tony knows how to tear some heart flesh...

From "Cross Purposes":

Cross Of Thorns
            - The epic classic of the album. Each and everyone should know and embrace this titan of a song.

Virtual Death
            - Another viciously heavy jewel in Sabbath's history.

The Hand That Rocks The Cradle
            - A great rocker here as well, this has taken me to places...

Evil Eye
            - Super heavy, super cool. Just one of the finest there can be.
            "He is the King of all kings, the keeper of light...He holds eternity's wings"

Comment

Originally posted by sin - lum View Post

It`s good to see the album sales have been promising. I only hope that the lack of news for the last few years is a positive sign. Hopefully there will be a big announcement - the 5 Martin albums in a box set with some new 2020 tracks with our two favourite Tony`s ))
              This is what I want a Martin era box set,
              "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
              "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
              ________Sabbath Forever, Forever Sabbath!______OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Comment

Hey, thanks for the great replies everyone. There was certainly plenty of interesting information across the now three pages! Lots of Tony Martin passion out there.

One of the questions raised was regarding whether there is the market for the re-release CDs or not. Like I said in my opening post, it seems really odd that this would be a factor when it comes to Black Sabbath. At the very least, given the historic status of the Tony Martin era albums, you'd think there would be something of a market for them, especially as Black Sabbath is now more than ever a towering name in music. They're virtually cultural icons. When lesser bands have things like rehearsal tapes and B-Sides/outtakes officially released, it's hard to understand why genuine Black Sabbath studio albums have disappeared into the aether.

Also, I don't think anyone addressed the lack of digital downloads. The albums aren't on Apple Music and I don't think they're on Spotify either. It costs virtually nothing to make your albums available on these platforms. Ok, so IRS was responsible for putting these albums out in the first instance, but that was 30 years ago! Surely if a company folds then an artist like Tony Iommi would have the opportunity to purchase the rights to those albums and then go from there.

For instance, The Beatles were on Apple Records right? So if Apple Records folds then suddenly there won't be any more Beatles albums available, for 30 years? Of course not. They'd figure it out.

And these 'Forbidden' remixes have been in the pipeline for maybe 3 or 4 years now? What's the hold-up?

There has to be more to this story than simply 1. The label folded. 2. Sales were low. 3. $haron. I mean, it's Black bloody Sabbath we're talking about here, not some two-bit flash in the pan band.

Release the albums already! Special deluxe editions please. Thank you.

Comment

Putting things into persepctive based on what actually has happened, we all know all Black Sabbath albums except for Headless Cross, TYR, Cross Purposed and Forbidden have been rerelased and currently available to purchase and download.

Iommi patched things up with Ozzy and Dio and we got one album from each of them plus a chunk of extra songs.

Iommi also patched things up with Ian Gillan by releasing the Who Cares album together. I wonder if this might have been instigated by the rerelease of Born Again? I mean I could imagine that in order to show a side of goodwill, perhaps they both met up (maybe also with Geezer and Bill) to have a chat over their short time together and also to listen to the album again after all these years.

This also might have been the case with Glenn Hughes and Seventh Star although both of them had patched things up long before the Seventh Star album was released.

When it comes to The Eternal Idol rerelease, it seems that they took the approach to honour Ray Gillan`s legacy over Tony Martin`s. This makes sense for a number of reasons primarily that Ray Gillan co-wrote the songs and Tony Martin came in at the last minute to lay down his vocals over lines that has already been pre-written by Ray Gillan. I do wonder if Iommi´s management got in touch with Ray Gillan`s estate about the release just to honour his contribution to that album.

Now we haven`t had any information in regards to the rest of the Tony Martin albums. I can only summise that they want to honour everyone`s contribution for these 4 albums so they might be letting the other members know about these upcoming releases to honour everyone`s contributions. I can imagine that Tony Martin and Iommi would collaborate again on some new songs as this has been done with Ozzy, Dio, Gillan and Hughes already. It has never been dismissed as a possibility and Iommi is always open to collaborations. I think the lack of news can only be a good sign ​ Still got my fingers tightly crossed

Comment

I think if they were to release a collectible numbered limited edition Box set with all the Martin era albums with a nice book and some bonus tracks, it would sell well.
                    Last edited by OzzyIsDio; 04-14-2020, 11:27 AM.
                    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
                    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"

Comment

They should rerelease Headless Cross at least. Very important album in Sabbath history and best one from Martin era.

Comment

Originally posted by Requiem View Post
                        There has to be more to this story than simply 1. The label folded. 2. Sales were low. 3. $haron. I mean, it's Black bloody Sabbath we're talking about here, not some two-bit flash in the pan band.
                        ..... in this case , the record label played a HUGE part.

You did great starting this thread ... it one shows why the Martin Era is so important to the name Black Sabbath .... and two it was great to read how many "smart" Sabbath fans , with LOVE for the Martin Era , reside here at BSO .... kudos!!

.... and NO JOKE , for my listening pleasure over the past 3 days , the GREATEST SABBATH ALBUM OF ALL TIME (for 72 hours and counting) , is no other than , FORBIDDEN , simply amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by BACK TO EDEN View Post

..... in this case , the record label played a HUGE part.

You did great starting this thread ... it one shows why the Martin Era is so important to the name Black Sabbath .... and two it was great to read how many "smart" Sabbath fans , with LOVE for the Martin Era , reside here at BSO .... kudos!!

.... and NO JOKE , for my listening pleasure over the past 3 days , the GREATEST SABBATH ALBUM OF ALL TIME (for 72 hours and counting) , is no other than , FORBIDDEN , simply amazing.
                          Forbidden sounds as raw as the first Sabbath album doc
                          I believe it was both written and recorded in less than 2 weeks
                          Every track is great
                          track 4 is my favorite

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
                            I think if they were to release a collectible numbered limited edition Box set with all the Martin era albums with a nice book and some bonus tracks, it would sell well.
                            Would it really?

Personally I (generally) detest limited edition boxed sets and all that jazz, where you only actually want 1 disc out of 6 and you've already got the rest.

I know some of you guys buy multiples of anything with the name Black Sabbath on it, that's cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Wheels Of Confusion View Post

Would it really?

Personally I (generally) detest limited edition boxed sets and all that jazz, where you only actually want 1 disc out of 6 and you've already got the rest.

I know some of you guys buy multiples of anything with the name Black Sabbath on it, that's cool.

Why do you detest them Wheels?

Comment

Forbidden all day every day .... and it just keeps getting better and better and better ,,, the album is spectacular , so much so , I have to redo my Sab album rankings.

Comment

Working...
                                X