X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OzzyIsDio
    replied
    Originally posted by ElvesWearBoots View Post

TYR is my favorite Martin era Sabbath album.
    TYR is a very good album, but not better than Forbidden, Sabbath’s Martin Masterpiece!

That album spews classic Sabbath.

Leave a comment:

• ElvesWearBoots
    replied
    Originally posted by Sabbathman View Post
    The albums HEADLESS CROSS and TYR must be the most coveted and most difficult to find, at least for a reasonable price. I started listening to these mighty albums some 20 years ago and it took me over 10 years to find the CDs, for a good price. As it turned out, I couldn't settle for just one copy...I'm lucky to have 3 original CD prints of each of these two jewels in the Black Sabbath catalogue.

Between 13th and 28th of March we had a rare pop-up record store in the city center. One of the sellers was a friend of a friend and he offered both HEADLESS CROSS and TYR on vinyl + HEADLESS CROSS 7'' as a bonus! I couldn't believe it - both albums available together! I couldn't let them go, who knows how long it would take to even see those albums again, let alone together as a package...so we settled on 90 euros total! 20 years down the line and now the circle is complete.
    TYR is my favorite Martin era Sabbath album.

Leave a comment:

• ElvesWearBoots
    replied
    Thank you Back To Eden, I think people just one give something a chance once there used to something.

Leave a comment:

• BACK TO EDEN
    replied
    Originally posted by Sabbathman View Post

Between 13th and 28th of March we had a rare pop-up record store in the city center. One of the sellers was a friend of a friend and he offered both HEADLESS CROSS and TYR on vinyl + HEADLESS CROSS 7'' as a bonus! I couldn't believe it - both albums available together! I couldn't let them go, who knows how long it would take to even see those albums again, let alone together as a package...so we settled on 90 euros total! 20 years down the line and now the circle is complete.
    Fantastic find brother! ... That's the type of Martin Era story that make you feel all good inside! ... It's the rarity of this era that allows it to shine so bright with a vinyl pick up like that!!

ElvesWearBoots ,, 100 percent correct , your post is screaming with "intelligence" .. The MARTIN Era contains 50 of the most spectacular tracks ever written .... ENJOY!

sin - lum , I can get carried away with all the CAPS .... Silver , Gold and Platinum status outside of the U.S. for all 5 in different locations ,,, and the lowest seller of the 5 in the U.S. is about to go over 200,000 units moved.

Wheels Of Confusion , love it brother!! , the Wizard Of Oz references never get old.

God Bless Sabbath maniacs

Leave a comment:

• ElvesWearBoots
    replied
    This era is one of the best of the Sabbath eras around.

Tony needs to get back with Martin and record new material, then I bet you there would be more interest in the other Martin albums..
    Last edited by ElvesWearBoots; 04-06-2020, 08:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Sabbathman
    replied
    The albums HEADLESS CROSS and TYR must be the most coveted and most difficult to find, at least for a reasonable price. I started listening to these mighty albums some 20 years ago and it took me over 10 years to find the CDs, for a good price. As it turned out, I couldn't settle for just one copy...I'm lucky to have 3 original CD prints of each of these two jewels in the Black Sabbath catalogue.

Leave a comment:

• Wheels Of Confusion
    replied
    *smoke and flashing lights*

THE GREAT DOC HAS SPOKEN

PAY NO ATTENTION TO THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN
    Last edited by Wheels Of Confusion; 04-06-2020, 02:08 AM.

Leave a comment:

• sin - lum
    replied
    Originally posted by BACK TO EDEN View Post

My good man , I can only assume you did not read this , even though you quoted it .... a re release and a repackaging are 2 entirely different entities .... SINCE THE 2010 BA SS EI DEH ALL SOLD WELL , THEY WERE REPACKAGED ALONG WITH THE OTHERS DURING 2012 - 2014 (not re released) , AND THEY ONLY REPACKAGE (not re release) SAME DATED (2010) MATERIAL AT A DIFFERENT POINT IN TIME , if it sells.

That same quote that I will put up for you again , DOES STATE , SURPRISINGLY THE SAB'S DID HAVE SOME PULL WITH THE 2010S , NOT A TON , BUT SOME .... that's just the facts , the record labels were in charge of that entire run , not Sabbath , BUT YES THEY WERE INVOLVED .... here is the quote again , WITH ALL THE ANSWERS FOR YOU - and if anyone , please anyone wants to know SALES NUMBERS , please just ask ,,, God Bless

My good man ,, BA , 7TH STAR , TEI and Dehumanizer all sold "well" on re release , each of those have also seen repackaging of the 2010 release during 2012 - 2014 , along with the Ozzy 2010 re releases ,, something only done due to approved sales numbers.

@Everyone lacking the understanding of how the music industry works ...

THE SABBATH RE RELEASES WERE PUT TOGETHER BY THE RECORD LABELS , that are still in our existence , with very little help and input from Iommi and company (tho surprisingly the Sab's did have some pull with the 2010s , not a ton , but some) ... HEADLESS CROSS , TYR , CP , FORBIDDEN are "owned" , if you will , by IRS (no , not that IRS ​ ) , who went away , don't exist , loooooooong before any re releases had a chance ,, 1996.

Believe it or not in early 2011 , thro EMI it was reinstated with a chance of survival ,, hence why YOU ALL WERE HEARING SO MUCH ABOUT THE MARTIN ERA REMASTERS coming to fruition ,, but then once again in mid 2015 IRS went goodbye , and that was the major reason you no longer heard all that much about the Martin remasters , if you will.

Sales numbers on all 5 of the Martin releases were very respectable for the IRS label (esp in the UK and outside of the U.S.) - here's hoping Iommi can find the time and strength to help another label profit from these Sabbath gems , and us fans as well!!
    Then provide the sales figures, my good man. How do you have access to that info also and why didn`t you post it to begin with?

You state here "THE SABBATH RE RELEASES WERE PUT TOGETHER BY THE RECORD LABELS , that are still in our existence , with very little help and input from Iommi and company (tho surprisingly the Sab's did have some pull with the 2010s , not a ton , but some)", so the releases do involve the members of Sabbath to some degree therefore the releases then are not solely done through the record label. This is especially the case with the Born Again and The Eternal Idol albums since they included material which only the band members would have at their disposal - the alternative track versions.

Just from my point of view, your writing style is difficult to follow - YOU USE SO MANY CAPITALS!!!!

Leave a comment:

• BACK TO EDEN
    replied
    Originally posted by sin - lum View Post

Were Born Again, Seventh Star & The Eternal Idol rereleased twice in the modern era? I only know that they were issued as deluxe editions around 2010. How would that decision have been made in regards to sales numbers? I figure they were released simply because these were all the albums that appeared in EMI`s catalogue. They started with the Ozzy era, then moved into the Dio one. I think as they had the three "other" Sabbath albums in their catalogue I think a number of people would have asked why not rerelease all the albums in the catalogue and so they went through with all of them.

I can imgaine the only people who would buy the "others" would be diehard Sabbath fans. I think the status of Dio and of course Ozzy would warrant attention from casual metal fans of the 70s and 80s and so they end up in metal fan collections who are not absolute diehard Sababth fans. I think it is a different story with everything post Mob Rules.

I don`t get the argument either that it is totally down to the record label releasing albums. I have a distinct feeling the Sabs do get consulted on the releases and are asked for their input. How is it then that the Ray Gillan versions of The Eternal Idol got released?
    My good man , I can only assume you did not read this , even though you quoted it .... a re release and a repackaging are 2 entirely different entities .... SINCE THE 2010 BA SS EI DEH ALL SOLD WELL , THEY WERE REPACKAGED ALONG WITH THE OTHERS DURING 2012 - 2014 (not re released) , AND THEY ONLY REPACKAGE (not re release) SAME DATED (2010) MATERIAL AT A DIFFERENT POINT IN TIME , if it sells.

That same quote that I will put up for you again , DOES STATE , SURPRISINGLY THE SAB'S DID HAVE SOME PULL WITH THE 2010S , NOT A TON , BUT SOME .... that's just the facts , the record labels were in charge of that entire run , not Sabbath , BUT YES THEY WERE INVOLVED .... here is the quote again , WITH ALL THE ANSWERS FOR YOU - and if anyone , please anyone wants to know SALES NUMBERS , please just ask ,,, God Bless

My good man ,, BA , 7TH STAR , TEI and Dehumanizer all sold "well" on re release , each of those have also seen repackaging of the 2010 release during 2012 - 2014 , along with the Ozzy 2010 re releases ,, something only done due to approved sales numbers.

THE SABBATH RE RELEASES WERE PUT TOGETHER BY THE RECORD LABELS , that are still in our existence , with very little help and input from Iommi and company (tho surprisingly the Sab's did have some pull with the 2010s , not a ton , but some) ... HEADLESS CROSS , TYR , CP , FORBIDDEN are "owned" , if you will , by IRS (no , not that IRS ​ ) , who went away , don't exist , loooooooong before any re releases had a chance ,, 1996.

Believe it or not in early 2011 , thro EMI it was reinstated with a chance of survival ,, hence why YOU ALL WERE HEARING SO MUCH ABOUT THE MARTIN ERA REMASTERS coming to fruition ,, but then once again in mid 2015 IRS went goodbye , and that was the major reason you no longer heard all that much about the Martin remasters , if you will.

Sales numbers on all 5 of the Martin releases were very respectable for the IRS label (esp in the UK and outside of the U.S.) - here's hoping Iommi can find the time and strength to help another label profit from these Sabbath gems , and us fans as well!!

Leave a comment:

• A Sabbath Historian
    replied
    Originally posted by Wheels Of Confusion View Post
    Considering the tens of millions of copies of albums like Headless Cross and TYR have sold Tony Martin obviously never has to work again.

Another good one Wheels!

Leave a comment:

• A Sabbath Historian
    replied
    Originally posted by Wheels Of Confusion View Post
    The Tony Martin fronted albums aren't readily available because it's undisputed FACT that they are the biggest selling and most popular albums of all time and they all sell out as soon as they hit the racks.
    As evidenced by Tony Martin's wildly successful solo career (coming to an arena near you) THE CAT is a household name and legions of fans SNAP up these cds in an instant.

Only Sabbath legend Neil Murray's pink bass is as synonomous with the most beloved era of any rock or metal band ever.

Good one Wheels!

Leave a comment:

• sin - lum
    replied

THE SABBATH RE RELEASES WERE PUT TOGETHER BY THE RECORD LABELS s!

Were Born Again, Seventh Star & The Eternal Idol rereleased twice in the modern era? I only know that they were issued as deluxe editions around 2010. How would that decision have been made in regards to sales numbers? I figure they were released simply because these were all the albums that appeared in EMI`s catalogue. They started with the Ozzy era, then moved into the Dio one. I think as they had the three "other" Sabbath albums in their catalogue I think a number of people would have asked why not rerelease all the albums in the catalogue and so they went through with all of them.

I can imgaine the only people who would buy the "others" would be diehard Sabbath fans. I think the status of Dio and of course Ozzy would warrant attention from casual metal fans of the 70s and 80s and so they end up in metal fan collections who are not absolute diehard Sababth fans. I think it is a different story with everything post Mob Rules.

I don`t get the argument either that it is totally down to the record label releasing albums. I have a distinct feeling the Sabs do get consulted on the releases and are asked for their input. How is it then that the Ray Gillan versions of The Eternal Idol got released?

Leave a comment:

• ronn
    replied
    Big Black Shape 'aka' , great to have you back on the forums ... anyway , obviously Martin's vocal ability (which is actually quite strong right now) would not be a reason for Iommi not to stand along side him on tour ,, ie) Iommi has shown on Iommi's latest 2 tours with Sabbath , it's not all about vocal strength if you will ​ .... if that was the case he would be on tour with Sabbath vocalist GLENN HUGHES - the undisputed vocal king of the past decade for 1970 vocalist , and it's not even close.

Great thread guys , let's keep learning ON the Sab's , , God Bless!
    The guy found the fountain of youth Doc! It's crazy how good he is!
    Keep a teaching Doc

Martin forever \m/

Leave a comment:

• BACK TO EDEN
    replied
    Originally posted by sin - lum View Post
    I think as Born Again through to The Eternal Idol were rereleased, they might have been used as a benchmark to monitor sales and it`s very possible they sold less than everyone was anticipating. Let`s be honest, only real die hard Sabbath fans are going to buy the Tony Martin albums. I was surprised when I started other threads that many of the users here have not even looked into getting Tony Martin`s solo albums or even Bill Ward`s solo albums for that matter. If people already have on their "hard to find" CD copies of the Tony Martin albums, then what difference would it make to rerelease them unless of course you are talking about the die hard collectors.

Big Black Shape 'aka' , great to have you back on the forums ... anyway , obviously Martin's vocal ability (which is actually quite strong right now) would not be a reason for Iommi not to stand along side him on tour ,, ie) Iommi has shown on Iommi's latest 2 tours with Sabbath , it's not all about vocal strength if you will ​ .... if that was the case he would be on tour with Sabbath vocalist GLENN HUGHES - the undisputed vocal king of the past decade for 1970 vocalist , and it's not even close.

Great thread guys , let's keep learning ON the Sab's , , God Bless!

Leave a comment:

• sin - lum
    replied
    I think as Born Again through to The Eternal Idol were rereleased, they might have been used as a benchmark to monitor sales and it`s very possible they sold less than everyone was anticipating. Let`s be honest, only real die hard Sabbath fans are going to buy the Tony Martin albums. I was surprised when I started other threads that many of the users here have not even looked into getting Tony Martin`s solo albums or even Bill Ward`s solo albums for that matter. If people already have on their "hard to find" CD copies of the Tony Martin albums, then what difference would it make to rerelease them unless of course you are talking about the die hard collectors.

On aother note, Tony Iommi is supposedly working on a new mix for Forbidden, and alledgedly had discussions with Tony Martin about making new songs, and supposedly working on another solo album. Itīs been over 3 years since the whole Sabbath thing died down with Ozzy and these 3 years have been the most unproductive in Iommi`s whole career. Obviously he is older now and possbily is still undergoing treatment but it is odd that there does not seem to be much in the way of solid news these days from anybody.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X