Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Iommi discusses EVH's involvement on 'Evil Eye'.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iommi discusses EVH's involvement on 'Evil Eye'.

So he definitely did play the opening solo before Tony recorded it for the album:

He had a hand in writing one of the songs on Black Sabbath’s Cross Purposes album, “Evil Eye.” How did that come about?
    Well, when we were doing Cross Purposes, they were playing in Birmingham. Obviously, I went to see him, and we were rehearsing. I said, “You ought to come down to rehearsal if you want.” “Oh, can I?” I said, “I’ll pick you up from the hotel.” I said, “Let’s go and get a guitar.” We went down to the music shop in Birmingham. I said, “Can you lend us a guitar for Eddie?” And of course, they went, “Oh, oh, wha’?” [Laughs] So Eddie came in with me, and we got one of his guitars, his own model. And he came to rehearsal. We played some of the Sabbath stuff for him. One of his favorites was “Into the Void,” strangely enough. We played that and we went back to writing. I think it was “Evil Eye,” and I said, “Go on, you play the solo on this.” He did and it was really great. When we recorded it, of course, I tried to duplicate that, but I couldn’t [laughs].

You must have a tape of that solo somewhere still.
    You know what, there is. I don’t know where it is amongst my lot, but there is one. I know I’ve got one. It was a real gem.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...rview-1073082/

Tony Martin mentioned finding a copy of the tape with that solo on it, so Tony Iommi mustn't have been the only band member with a copy of it.

Originally posted by SweetSymptom View Post
    So he definitely did play the opening solo before Tony recorded it for the album:

He had a hand in writing one of the songs on Black Sabbath’s Cross Purposes album, “Evil Eye.” How did that come about?
    Well, when we were doing Cross Purposes, they were playing in Birmingham. Obviously, I went to see him, and we were rehearsing. I said, “You ought to come down to rehearsal if you want.” “Oh, can I?” I said, “I’ll pick you up from the hotel.” I said, “Let’s go and get a guitar.” We went down to the music shop in Birmingham. I said, “Can you lend us a guitar for Eddie?” And of course, they went, “Oh, oh, wha’?” [Laughs] So Eddie came in with me, and we got one of his guitars, his own model. And he came to rehearsal. We played some of the Sabbath stuff for him. One of his favorites was “Into the Void,” strangely enough. We played that and we went back to writing. I think it was “Evil Eye,” and I said, “Go on, you play the solo on this.” He did and it was really great. When we recorded it, of course, I tried to duplicate that, but I couldn’t [laughs].

You must have a tape of that solo somewhere still.
    You know what, there is. I don’t know where it is amongst my lot, but there is one. I know I’ve got one. It was a real gem.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...rview-1073082/

Tony Martin mentioned finding a copy of the tape with that solo on it, so Tony Iommi mustn't have been the only band member with a copy of it.
    Great story Sweet, I'm sure the guitar shop owner was more than happy to lend Eddie a guitar, also cool to know Into The Void was one of his favorites.
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
    ________Sabbath Forever, Forever Sabbath!______OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Comment

Prob my least fav song off the album pretty mundane
      "Music is so sacred to me that I canít hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
      R. Blackmore

Comment

Definitely, OID. It's always reminded me of 'A National Acrobat' in some respects.

Comment

Originally posted by SweetSymptom View Post
          Definitely, OID. It's always reminded me of 'A National Acrobat' in some respects.
          yea I can kinda hear that ... but National Acrobat is a mind blower maybe the most underrated song in Sabbath's catalog!
          "Music is so sacred to me that I canít hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
          R. Blackmore

Comment

Working...
          X