Forbidden, was it THAT bad???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forbidden, was it THAT bad???

Well...this album gets so much negative attention...Well let's look at this then...
    Forbidden (as you all know) was Black Sabbath's last studio album made (so far). It is often seen as it's worst-which I don't think it's true. It had a killer line up of Iommi/Nicholls/Murray/Powell/Martin, and the album itself had a really neat cover... The only thing I don't like about it is the echo voices on "Can't Get Close Enough To You"... I never minded that Ice-T was on there or Ernie C produced it, that wasn't an issue to me... I think every Black Sabbath album has something to offer and Forbidden is no different. The person I feel shines on the album is Cozy Powell, his drumming is hard, and fast. Cozy was the highlight for me on this album, but Tony Iommi does some great solo's and riffs too... On a more personal note, I have a big poster of the Forbidden line up on my wall, because I like the album and I feel they deserve it.

Re: Forbidden, was it THAT bad???

Originally Posted By: Renaissance Well...this album gets so much negative attention...Well let's look at this then...
    Forbidden (as you all know) was Black Sabbath's last studio album made (so far). It is often seen as it's worst-which I don't think it's true. It had a killer line up of Iommi/Nicholls/Murray/Powell/Martin, and the album itself had a really neat cover... The only thing I don't like about it is the echo voices on "Can't Get Close Enough To You"... I never minded that Ice-T was on there or Ernie C produced it, that wasn't an issue to me... I think every Black Sabbath album has something to offer and Forbidden is no different. The person I feel shines on the album is Cozy Powell, his drumming is hard, and fast. Cozy was the highlight for me on this album, but Tony Iommi does some great solo's and riffs too... On a more personal note, I have a big poster of the Forbidden line up on my wall, because I like the album and I feel they deserve it.

I used to rank this cd low on the Martin scale , found the production dull but i bought the Japanese version with Loser Gets It All and been hooked ever scince . I found the sound better on the import ! Now it ranks higher for me than Cross Purposes !

Comment

Thank you...someone agrees!

Comment

I love the album...

Comment

I heard all of the negativity about forbidden so when I bought the album I went to the title track see if it was any good. The song (forbidden) is amazing track. No one seems to keen about it.
          Vic always says 'killing is my business, and business is good'.. He can play the symphony of destruction, after all the worlds needs a hero because the system has failed. Vic is on the killing road to Hangar 18, and he will Take No Prisioners on this holy wars.

Quote by Ray Rules

Comment

I think it gets trashed more than it should. The only song I hate on it is the first with Ice T. I honestly think that one song has turned most hard core Sabbath fans against the album. The rest of the album is pretty good. But, to be fair, even Tony Martin said it was the worse album he made with Sabbath.
            Life Member of the NRA

Comment

This cd rules man! Many good songs, and a few killers, like Forbidden, Get A Grip and the CLASSIC Kiss Of Death! Oh.. I love KOD lyrics! It's so passionate.. sounds like TM sending a message to Sharon Osbourne!
              Can't you see what I see
              You and I victims of Their word
              As the master of power
              Try to poison our world
              ----- Eternal Idol ~ 1987

Comment

I think Forbidden is a very good album anyways. Got some classic tracks Get A Grip, Rusty Angels, Loser Gets It All and the rest of the album is good. Apart from the unnecessary rap on The Illusion Of Power, Sick And Tired and Guilty As Hell which are the weak links on the album, it is a 8,0/10,0 album for me. Martin's lyrics are also very personal and keep us guessing for who they are directioned.

Comment

Originally Posted By: MarcStitz I heard all of the negativity about forbidden so when I bought the album I went to the title track see if it was any good. The song (forbidden) is amazing track. No one seems to keen about it.
                  I happen to love this song as well. It used to be my "theme song" for awhile, too.
                  I also like Kiss of Death (sure), Loser Gets It All (should have been an opener) and Shaking off the Chains.

However, Forbidden suffers from having lots of filler, more so than the other Sabbath albums (maybe the same could be said about TE & NSD).
                  "There's only one Black Sabbath... I like to call him Tony Iommi" - racer

Comment

There are a lot of songs I love on this album but the production is ruining it for me. Great tunes but crappy sound.

In fact, I hated this album until I first heard bootlegs from this tour. Once I heard the songs live, I went back to my CD and it grew on me. Once you realise the music is good, you can go pass the bad production I guess.
                    Tony Iommi Fact #216: In fact, most demolition companies donít use explosives to collapse buildings, only a good stereo and a copy of ďDehumanizerĒ.
                    "Black Sabbath : la BÍte venue de Birmingham"

Comment

I like this album but there are a few things that bother me. I like the lyrics, there are quite a few good songs, I like Ice-T's part (YES, THAT's A KILLER PART, he's a rap artist, SO WHAT?), and the drumming is great, I like that Murray is back on it and not "look, my music is so cool" Buttler.

The things I don't like are: the sound. Sometimes it seems like Martin is singing in the bathrum. The guitar sound is raw and unpolished, the bass is sometimes inaudible some songs lack catchy melodies.

Fron 1-10 Forbidden gets a 7 from me. As a comparation:

Eternal idol: 8
                      Headless Cross: 10000000000000000000000000000000000
                      Tyr: 9
                      Cross Purposes: 8
                      Forbidden: 7
                      Dehumanizer (not Martin, but I must bash it) : -888 (yes, negative points)

Comment

i really don't think the cd was bad at all. i really like it except for the ice-t track. outside of that i really like the title track and sick and tired. what a cool bluesy song! a definite replay button hitting tune! i think rusty angels has a cool riff as well.

Comment

Originally Posted By: El Lobo I like this album but there are a few things that bother me. I like the lyrics, there are quite a few good songs, I like Ice-T's part (YES, THAT's A KILLER PART, he's a rap artist, SO WHAT?), and the drumming is great, I like that Murray is back on it and not "look, my music is so cool" Buttler.

The things I don't like are: the sound. Sometimes it seems like Martin is singing in the bathrum. The guitar sound is raw and unpolished, the bass is sometimes inaudible some songs lack catchy melodies.

Fron 1-10 Forbidden gets a 7 from me. As a comparation:

Eternal idol: 8
                          Headless Cross: 10000000000000000000000000000000000
                          Tyr: 9
                          Cross Purposes: 8
                          Forbidden: 7
                          Dehumanizer (not Martin, but I must bash it) : -888 (yes, negative points)
                          I wonder how this album will sound when/if they remaster if!... I mean, they have the master tapes, it just need a decent produtor! Who was the guy that produce Headless Cross? Now, that's a AWESOME production and sounding!
                          Can't you see what I see
                          You and I victims of Their word
                          As the master of power
                          Try to poison our world
                          ----- Eternal Idol ~ 1987

Comment

i thought it was fine...

Comment

Originally Posted By: Ray Rules Who was the guy that produce Headless Cross?
                              You'll need to dig Cozy out then

Comment

Working...
                              X