Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Forbidden, was it THAT bad???

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Forbidden, was it THAT bad???
    yes
    .........
    Black metal > Whatever you like, sorry. *shrugs*

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Buffalo Bill Scruggs View Post
      yes
      .........
      It wasn't THAT bad, except for the production. The production was bone-dry but the songs were good.

      It was a mistaken attempt by Black Sabbath to sound '90s. It was the age of Nirvana/Soundgarden/Faith No More etc and it was a misguided example of Sabbath trying to be followers rather than leaders.
      He is not here. He has risen!

      Comment


      • the production isnt what was bad about it
        Black metal > Whatever you like, sorry. *shrugs*

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Buffalo Bill Scruggs View Post
          the production isnt what was bad about it
          I think Forbidden is better than 13.

          Comment


          • not a high bar to set
            Black metal > Whatever you like, sorry. *shrugs*

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Buffalo Bill Scruggs View Post
              the production isnt what was bad about it
              What is​ "bad" about it then?
              He is not here. He has risen!

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Kennyz View Post
                I think Forbidden is better than 13.
                Have to disagree Kenny, while I like Forbidden as one of Martin/Sabbath's best, I do not think it better than 13.

                But I'm glad you like Forbidden that much, it gets way too much slack.
                "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
                "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
                ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

                Comment


                • Originally posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
                  Have to disagree Kenny, while I like Forbidden as one of Martin/Sabbath's best, I do not think it better than 13.

                  But I'm glad you like Forbidden that much, it gets way too much slack.
                  I echo Kennyz sentiments and much prefer Forbidden to 13. Shaking Off The Chains alone is a better attempt at recapturing that classic Ozzy-era Sabbath vibe than anything on 13. And that ain't even the best track on offer.

                  I think Forbidden gets a bad wrap. It doesn't help that the albums weakest two tracks are track 1 and 2. Illusion of Power and GAG aren't great tracks by any stretch of the imagination. But fortunately, things get a lot better from Can't Get Close Enough onwards. I would argue that tracks 3-10 are every bit as good as anything else Martin/Iommi did together.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Towelie View Post
                    I echo Kennyz sentiments and much prefer Forbidden to 13. Shaking Off The Chains alone is a better attempt at recapturing that classic Ozzy-era Sabbath vibe than anything on 13. And that ain't even the best track on offer.

                    I think Forbidden gets a bad wrap. It doesn't help that the albums weakest two tracks are track 1 and 2. Illusion of Power and GAG aren't great tracks by any stretch of the imagination. But fortunately, things get a lot better from Can't Get Close Enough onwards. I would argue that tracks 3-10 are every bit as good as anything else Martin/Iommi did together.
                    I like Get a grip.

                    Comment


                    • I think it's bottom 3 with 7th Star and Born Again.

                      Between these 3, "Born Again" has the best single track (Zero the Hero) and the most original members if that counts for anything, makes it more "legit"

                      But for my money, "Forbidden" has the best Singer with most longevity compared to the other two...being a part of a solid "Era" rather than a flash in the pan, band-aid solution adds legitimacy.

                      Further, "Forbidden" lacks a strong, dominating track however has maybe the highest count of "hey, not bad..." versus filler or off-brand material. If you assigned point value for this it would probably end up sniping the "strong track" impact of ZtH thus taking Born Again down further.

                      Forbidden, then, is the best of the worst of a band whose ass resides at most other bands face level, if you get my meaning.

                      Comment


                      • ^^You're not that far from me. I'm in Port Huron.
                        He is not here. He has risen!

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by DiosSword View Post
                          ^^You're not that far from me. I'm in Port Huron.
                          Hey, yeah? Always meant to get up that way and check it out. Looks like some nice photo ops (<--fancies himself a photographer)

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by DiosSword View Post
                            What is​ "bad" about it then?
                            I think the songwriting is bad and I find most of the album wimpy and limpwristed
                            Black metal > Whatever you like, sorry. *shrugs*

                            Comment


                            • Well, the bone-dry production certainly doesn't do it any favours in terms of being "wimpy and limpwristed."

                              It certainly doesn't have their best songwriting but a few of the songs I find to be really good - production aside.

                              Again, I think they were trying too hard to be "too '90s" instead of being themselves.

                              Having Ice-T as a "guest rapper" (trying to do an Aerosmith) was very misguided.

                              I read where Brian May told Tony Iommi it sounded like Soundgarden and Iommi flipped out.
                              He is not here. He has risen!

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by DiosSword View Post
                                Well, the bone-dry production certainly doesn't do it any favours in terms of being "wimpy and limpwristed."

                                It certainly doesn't have their best songwriting but a few of the songs I find to be really good - production aside.

                                Again, I think they were trying too hard to be "too '90s" instead of being themselves.

                                Having Ice-T as a "guest rapper" (trying to do an Aerosmith) was very misguided.

                                I read where Brian May told Tony Iommi it sounded like Soundgarden and Iommi flipped out.
                                Love Forbidden, to me it's Martin/Sabbath's best, Illusion of Power certainly one of the heaviest and best songs on the album.

                                In the beginning I didn't much care for Ice-T being on the album, perhaps it was my prejudice towards Rap music, which I still loathe, but like Ice-T as a participant on the song Illusion of Power.
                                "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
                                "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
                                ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X