Forbidden, was it THAT bad???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Forbidden, was it THAT bad???

Fanboys? Sissy girls? cheerleaders? Grammar? Spelling? Etc?

ISN'T THIS THREAD ABOUT FORBIDDEN?
    Good Beer is the perfect blend of Art & Science.

Comment

Here. Let me shift this thread back in the intended direction. Last thing we need is to have a topic die simply over grammatical issues.

I gave Forbidden a listen months ago, and should really try again to let it all absorb. But from my first impression it didn't sound as bad as most would have us believe. Of course I wouldn't have given it a fair chance if it weren't for the rest of you guys on the forum, so kudos to you!

Highlights for the moment: Kiss of Death, Shaking Off the Chains, I Won't Cry For You, Forbidden and Sick and Tired

Comment

Originally Posted By: Echoes Highlights for the moment: Kiss of Death, Shaking Off the Chains, I Won't Cry For You, Forbidden and Sick and Tired
        And the other half of the album? What do you think of them

The blood runs free
        The rain turns red
        Give me the wine you keep the bread

Comment

Originally Posted By: Ray Rules Well, I believe that since we are not messing with Ozzy into his section, it would be great if you guys showed a little respect here... I love jokes, but this is kind of turning into direct ofenses
          Well for once I was not the one who brought it up because I've seen what it can turn in to. As I remember, it was Eternal Idol who keeps playing on the same joke.

Quote:
          Damn it wait till Rar the biggest Tony Martin fan gets a hold of you !
          As proven.
          -rar

Comment

Originally Posted By: rar
            Originally Posted By: Ray Rules Well, I believe that since we are not messing with Ozzy into his section, it would be great if you guys showed a little respect here... I love jokes, but this is kind of turning into direct ofenses
            Well for once I was not the one who brought it up because I've seen what it can turn in to. As I remember, it was Eternal Idol who keeps playing on the same joke.

Quote:
            As proven.

What joke ?

Comment

Quote:
              As proven.

Sorry dont know whta happened here ?

Comment

Quote:
                As proven.

Rar you are the ultimate Tony Martin fan remember when you told us you were in the closet and the Shining was playing and you loved the part when he sings "Rise Up "

Comment

Quote: What joke ?
                  Tommy Lommy, ect...
                  "I want to tell you, yeah
                  How Good It Feels
                  Sleeping here with you tonight
                  And thatís for real"
                  -Sometimes I'm Happy 8/5/75

Comment

Originally Posted By: UnderTheSun
                    Originally Posted By: Echoes Highlights for the moment: Kiss of Death, Shaking Off the Chains, I Won't Cry For You, Forbidden and Sick and Tired
                    And the other half of the album? What do you think of them
                    Oh man, I can't really remember at the moment. Ask me that question again after I've given it a second listen. (I didn't even realize I listed half the album )

Though I will comment on the rap in Illusion of Power. While the idea and execution of it did seem strange to me that first impression, it did not make me enjoy the song any less. That's a good sign.

Like I said, I'll give Forbidden a second listen since it definitely feels like it'll grow with time.

Comment

Forbidden takes a looooooooooooooooooooooooooong time to get used to. It's all over the place and feels really disorganized upon the first list.

As time goes on, it's not THAT bad, but it's not as focused as say "Cross Purposes" or "Headless Cross."

Comment

Originally Posted By: DrColostomy Forbidden takes a looooooooooooooooooooooooooong time to get used to. It's all over the place and feels really disorganized upon the first list.

As time goes on, it's not THAT bad, but it's not as focused as say "Cross Purposes" or "Headless Cross."
                        That's a really good point Dr. I never thought of it that way. When I think about it now, CP, TYR and HC all have either a unified theme to the songs or a mood built upthroughout the album, whereas Forbidden does feel all over the place. Of course given the fact that the songs were written and recorded in a short time span and quickly, the band probably wasn't too concerned with the theme this time (of course I may be wrong).

Comment

Originally Posted By: Echoes

That's a really good point Dr. I never thought of it that way. When I think about it now, CP, TYR and HC all have either a unified theme to the songs or a mood built upthroughout the album, whereas Forbidden does feel all over the place. Of course given the fact that the songs were written and recorded in a short time span and quickly, the band probably wasn't too concerned with the theme this time (of course I may be wrong).
                          According to Wikipedia, it states the album was hastily written/ recorded to quickly get them out of the IRS contract. I tend to agree because a lot of songs have fantastic moments that are bogged down by rather "riffing by rote" elements. Plus Martin's lyrics seem really rushed as they are repetitive in places.

What I do like about the ablum is that is raw in places and has an overall organic drum sound. A lot of folks I know who have heard EI, HC or TYR claim it's too polished. They seem to dig CP but then get thrown off by Forbidden.

Comment

Originally Posted By: DrColostomy
                            According to Wikipedia, it states the album was hastily written/ recorded to quickly get them out of the IRS contract. I tend to agree because a lot of songs have fantastic moments that are bogged down by rather "riffing by rote" elements. Plus Martin's lyrics seem really rushed as they are repetitive in places.

What I do like about the ablum is that is raw in places and has an overall organic drum sound. A lot of folks I know who have heard EI, HC or TYR claim it's too polished. They seem to dig CP but then get thrown off by Forbidden.
                            Call me crazy, but it's that polished sound on TYR that captured an atmosphere which made it my all time favourite Sabbath album. Plus Cozy's sound on here is one of my favourites (the others being on Painkiller, Master of Puppets and Signals). As you can tell, I'm a sucker for drums that have a thundering sound.

Comment

2/10

Comment

Originally Posted By: DrColostomy
                                Originally Posted By: Echoes

Can't be, they had the compilation "The Sabbath Stones", which I think where released by IRS, with most songs from he Martin era.

Comment

Working...
                                X