Cross Purposes
    The Eternal Idol
    Tyr
    Headless Cross
    Forbidden

Leave a comment:

• William_the_Bloody
    replied
    1. Cross Purposes - The Most purely "Black Sabbath" of the Martin Era albums. And Martin fits right into the material, he doesn't sound miscast. Faves: I Witness, Cardinal Sin, Immaculate Deception, Psychophobia, Virtual Death but the whole album plays nicely as a unit.

2. Eternal Idol - Fairly Strong Martin Debut. Definitely set the tone for what was to come. The Shining, Glory Ride, Nightmare, Scarlet Pimpernel, Lost Forever stand out for me.

3. Tyr - Anno Mundi, Valhalla suite, Jerusalem. I'm not super psyched about the whole Norse theme but it when it works it's great.

4. Headless Cross - Title track is just about all this has going for it. The rest sounds like whitesnake but not as good.

5. Forbidden - Though I'm finding more and more to like off this once discarded album, it's still on the bottom for the time being. I've always liked Rusty Angels.

Leave a comment:

• Now in Darkness
    replied
    Enjoy them all.

Tyr
    Cross Purposes
    Headless Cross
    Eternal Idol
    Forbidden

Leave a comment:

• SabbathsValhalla
    replied
    1.) TYR & Headless Cross (Cant choose which is better)
    2.) Cross Purposes
    3.) The Eternal Idol
    4.) Forbidden

Leave a comment:

• KiloDeltaCharlie
    replied
    Cross Purposes
    Tyr
    Eternal Idol
    Headless Cross
    Forbidden

Leave a comment:

• Thelemech
    replied
    Eternal Idol
    TYR
    Headless Cross
    Cross Purposes
    Forbidden

Leave a comment:

• OzzyIsDio
    replied
    1.) Forbidden (I can't grasp how people trash this album and say it's Sabbath's worst album)
    2.) Eternal Idol
    3.) Headless Cross
    4.) TYR
    5.) Cross Purposes

Leave a comment:

• Choralone
    replied
    Oddly enough, this is going to be my first post. I think there's a lot of bandwagon hopping when it comes to the Martin-era. It was a relic of the 80s, mullet metal music that was very uncool in 1995, and the bad press and the fact that it was not of its time I think has clouded people's judgements of what these albums actually sound like. The bad press and criticism sort of avalanched to the point where nowadays, yeah, we're supposed to hate Forbidden, even Tony Iommi says he hates it in his book, right?

Well, these albums are not at all bad in my opinion, other than Headless Cross. That album is too cheesy for me. But I can get into every other one. And Forbidden has a lot of great songs if you a) like 80s metal, b) forget about Ice T and Ernie C. See, "The Illusion Of Power" is not a bad song, it's just that people's heads explode when you even THINK of combining Black Sabbath with Ice T. You'd think they turned into rap or something. But they didn't. It was one track, he did some spoken word thing (it wasn't really rap - it was spoken word, you people who don't listen to rap) and it was a bit odd, but I liked it.

Now, these albums aren't GREAT, but to me, Sabbath wasn't Ozzy - it was riffs by Iommi. So I understand where we part ways if you think the band stops at Never Say Die. (Also - 13 was kind of crappy to me, but that's for another thread.)

For 80s metal albums combined with Sabbath, which we already should have been primed for from H&H and Mob Rules, they're "pretty good". So here's my ranking:

1) Eternal Idol
    2) Cross Purposes
    3) Tyr
    4) Forbidden

...and these 4 could basically be tied and switch any moment, but then there's a big gap between them and....

5) The Heeeeeeadlessssss Mulleeeeeeettttt

Leave a comment:

• WarningRules
    replied
    Hm... I had to think about this one a little.

1. Headless Cross
    2. Forbidden
    3. TYR
    4. Eternal Idol
    5. Cross Purposes

Leave a comment:

• ThrasherBG
    replied
    To me is something like:

1.Headless Cross (1989)
    The most essential Sabbath album with Martin,When Death Calls is one of my all time favorites.
    2.The Eternal Idol (1987)
    I think that this album is really underrated,'cause it is released at the hardest times for the band.
    3.Cross Purposes (1994)
    Great stuff,some really rockin' songs.When I was 10 years old I was crazy of "Duing For Love"!
    4.TYR (1990)
    There is some kind of lightness in this album,which I don't like,but this is compared to the others,it's a great album in fact!
    5.Forbidden (1995)
    I think that there are some tracks on that one,which are not good enough.They just don't capture me,even after the 100 listening...

Leave a comment:

• Ashley Dalby
    replied
    Originally posted by J Hillenburg View Post
    Originally posted by Ashley Dalby View Post
    Nightwing = A blood-thirsty creature of the fictitious standard presented as something good only to trick it's victims into spilling their blood, pun intended. Things presented as a game when in reality it is allowing evil things to infect the soul and conscience.
    One of my favorite songs in the entire Sabbath catalog. Just gorgeous.
    I Concur! It's mystical, cryptic and overall mysterious. With astonishing atmosphere.

Originally posted by J Hillenburg View Post
    Originally posted by Ashley Dalby View Post
    Finally, I'll conclude by saying Headless Cross is one of those rare albums that is made by a band who had already achieved commercial status in the metal scene, and yet managed to release an album that not only held its own in its current day and age, but was easily as good as anything in the band's back catalogue. While Headless Cross is somewhat of a dinosaur now, let us not forget that Sabbath had been around for twenty years when they released this metal monster, their fourteenth studio album. Very few bands make greatness on their fourteenth album. Even fewer manage to be relevant at that time. Only one has actually managed to release their career-defining album at that point, and that band is Black Sabbath. Whether this sudden stroke of genius after so many years was a result of anger by past results, the addition of new blood with extraordinaire backing musicians and get this, A RETURNING VOCALIST. Or an outstanding production team, or simply the logical final product of a band that had been approaching this sound their entire career, I don't know.

Whatever the reason for this album, however, it is simply beyond amazing, mind blowing, an utter masterpiece. Never again would the band ever even come close to this greatness, and I doubt they ever will as long as Tony Martin is not singing for them.
    When Headless Cross was released and articles about the new Sabbath began to crop up in metal publications at the time, I was extremely happy. I knew Cozy Powell from Rainbow and thought that was a great choice for a drummer. I was open-minded about Martin. Hell, they even cropped up on MTV a few times, unheard of for Sabbath in recent years. After a few years in the wilderness, Sabbath came back with a strong record with good songwriting and musicianship.

It was the Sabbath sound sonically updated to appeal to contemporary music fans. However, the trademarks were still there and the album was quite heavy. It's not
    my favorite album in the world, but it is an interesting and significant album in the
    band's history.

Great summary of your thoughts, Ashley.
    Thank you, glad you enjoyed it. One of the things you mentioned is coming back with a strong record with good songwriting and musicianship. Though I had only knew of Sabbath for a total of six years by this time album was released, I had purchased every album from Born Again onward as soon as they were released, so I'd heard Eternal Idol beforehand. I consider their comeback album to really be Eternal Idol, so when I purchased Headless Cross and it had the same line-up almost I knew it was going to be good. My problem with Eternal Idol is that the ideas are stretched to the point of annoyance sometimes, which NEVER happens on Headless Cross. Then comes TYR, which had the same line-up for the tour, which means Neil Murray was an improvement on the bass guitar. My problem with TYR is the same almost as Eternal Idol, the ideas are stretched past the point they should be. Plus TYR tries very hard to be conceptual, whereas Headless Cross doesn't try at all to be conceptual but has a more sophisticated one. But these gripes aside, the first two are still the best two albums in Sabbath's catalogue, while TYR is definately in the top ten.

Leave a comment:

• sabbozzy
    replied
    Eternal Idol

Headless Cross

Leave a comment:

• Daistoh
    replied
    eh.. sorry forgot to answer to the real question...

for me the best Tony Martin album as a whole will be "Cross Prposes".. until the date the 2nd best of Sabbath albums for me.. only the 2nd to Dehumanizer in the Sabbath career so far. (now of course waiting for the majestical impact of the "Devil You Know")

The second best TM album for me would be the Eternal Idol, followed by Forbidden and Tyr in quite close rating(yes im weird i dont doubt that) and Headless Cross being the least favorite although it has possibly my most favorite TM era sabbath sog ever.. as an album it still lacks that certain something

Leave a comment:

Working...
X