• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cross Purposes
    The Eternal Idol
    Headless Cross
    Forbidden
    Tyr
    "The consequence of conscience/Is that you'll be left somewhere/Swinging in the air"-Ronnie James Dio (1942-2010) R.I.P. King Of Metal
    "Just take a look around you what do you see/Pain, suffering, and misery/It's not the way that the world was planned/It's a pity you don't understand" - Geezer Butler
    "If god is in heaven/How can this happen here" - Phil Lynott (1949-1986)

Comment

1. Forbidden (The mix is bad but the songs are great. Forbidden demos sounds better though)
      2. Tyr (Majestic)
      3. Cross Purposes (Very solid and have mr Butler)
      4. Eternal Idol ( Good but I like the Ray Gillen version better)
      5. Headless Cross ( I like the title song and Nightwing but the rest don't do much for me )

Comment

Originally posted by architect View Post
        1. Forbidden (The mix is bad but the songs are great. Forbidden demos sounds better though)
        2. Tyr (Majestic)
        3. Cross Purposes (Very solid and have mr Butler)
        4. Eternal Idol ( Good but I like the Ray Gillen version better)
        5. Headless Cross ( I like the title song and Nightwing but the rest don't do much for me )
        Forbidden is Tony Martin's best Sabbath album, thanks man, someone agrees with me!!!!
        "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
        "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
        ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Comment

Originally posted by Choralone View Post
          Oddly enough, this is going to be my first post. I think there's a lot of bandwagon hopping when it comes to the Martin-era. It was a relic of the 80s, mullet metal music that was very uncool in 1995, and the bad press and the fact that it was not of its time I think has clouded people's judgements of what these albums actually sound like. The bad press and criticism sort of avalanched to the point where nowadays, yeah, we're supposed to hate Forbidden, even Tony Iommi says he hates it in his book, right?

Well, these albums are not at all bad in my opinion, other than Headless Cross. That album is too cheesy for me. But I can get into every other one. And Forbidden has a lot of great songs if you a) like 80s metal, b) forget about Ice T and Ernie C. See, "The Illusion Of Power" is not a bad song, it's just that people's heads explode when you even THINK of combining Black Sabbath with Ice T. You'd think they turned into rap or something. But they didn't. It was one track, he did some spoken word thing (it wasn't really rap - it was spoken word, you people who don't listen to rap) and it was a bit odd, but I liked it.

Now, these albums aren't GREAT, but to me, Sabbath wasn't Ozzy - it was riffs by Iommi. So I understand where we part ways if you think the band stops at Never Say Die. (Also - 13 was kind of crappy to me, but that's for another thread.)

For 80s metal albums combined with Sabbath, which we already should have been primed for from H&H and Mob Rules, they're "pretty good"
          Another great post.

For me:
          1. Cross Purposes- out in front by quite a margin
          2.Eternal Idol- would have been even better with Ray Gillen's vocals intact
          3.Forbidden
          4-5. Headless Cross and TYR- could go either way

Comment

Tyr
            Headless Cross
            Cross Purposes
            Eternal Idol
            Forbidden

Comment

Originally posted by Choralone View Post
              Oddly enough, this is going to be my first post. I think there's a lot of bandwagon hopping when it comes to the Martin-era. It was a relic of the 80s, mullet metal music that was very uncool in 1995, and the bad press and the fact that it was not of its time I think has clouded people's judgements of what these albums actually sound like. The bad press and criticism sort of avalanched to the point where nowadays, yeah, we're supposed to hate Forbidden, even Tony Iommi says he hates it in his book, right?

Well, these albums are not at all bad in my opinion, other than Headless Cross. That album is too cheesy for me. But I can get into every other one. And Forbidden has a lot of great songs if you a) like 80s metal, b) forget about Ice T and Ernie C. See, "The Illusion Of Power" is not a bad song, it's just that people's heads explode when you even THINK of combining Black Sabbath with Ice T. You'd think they turned into rap or something. But they didn't. It was one track, he did some spoken word thing (it wasn't really rap - it was spoken word, you people who don't listen to rap) and it was a bit odd, but I liked it.

Now, these albums aren't GREAT, but to me, Sabbath wasn't Ozzy - it was riffs by Iommi. So I understand where we part ways if you think the band stops at Never Say Die. (Also - 13 was kind of crappy to me, but that's for another thread.)

For 80s metal albums combined with Sabbath, which we already should have been primed for from H&H and Mob Rules, they're "pretty good". So here's my ranking:

1) Eternal Idol
              2) Cross Purposes
              3) Tyr
              4) Forbidden

...and these 4 could basically be tied and switch any moment, but then there's a big gap between them and....

5) The Heeeeeeadlessssss Mulleeeeeeettttt
              Shouldn't that be called Hairless Mullet???
              Upping The Irons and Defending The Faith

Comment

Eternal Idol
                Cross Purposes
                Headless Cross
                Tyr
                Forbidden

Comment

The Eternal Idol
                  Tyr
                  Cross Purposes
                  Headless Cross
                  Forbidden

Comment

Originally posted by Never Satisfied View Post
                    Shouldn't that be called Hairless Mullet???
                    Well done!

Comment

• Good to not-so-good:
                      1.) Headless Cross Undisputed champ of the Martin era. The first Sab album in years to actually sound like it came from a fully functioning band.
                      2.) Cross Purposes Geezer Butler's presence gave the proceedings some extra muscle, but in the attempt to sound more contemporary (by early-'90s standards, that is) the band ended up sanding away the qualities that made the Martin-fronted lineup unique.
                      3.) Tyr At times, a solid follow-up to HC, yet it's marred by the inclusion of too many throwaways.
                      4.) The Eternal Idol Otherwise known as Seventh Star, Part II. Glossy glam rock, smothered in a bad '80s nightmare sound mix.
                      5.) Forbidden A half-assed offering from musicians who didn't seem to give a shit. The amateur-hour sound quality offers added insult.
                      Last edited by Abyss; 01-07-2015, 11:31 AM.

Comment

• Funny enough, the order in which they came out is EXACTLY how I'd rank them in terms of quality. Mediocre to poor, on the five star scale:

'Eternal Idol' ( Two stars ).

'Headless Cross' ( Two stars ).

'Tyr' ( One star ).

'Cross Purposes' ( One star ).

'Forbidden' ( One star ).

Even though I consider these albums to be the Tony Iommi Experience, I'll always acknowledge that the Martin era had it's share of shining moments ( ).

Comment

• You could see is this way
                          1. Headless Cross, The signing of Tony Iommi to the management he has today. With the injection of the name and skill of Cozy Powell. And the coming of age so to speak of Tony Martin. Helped to pull the band from it's darkest period. 1988 Record label dumped them. The band was in a profit-less state. HC sales in countries like Germany was able to put the band into profit for the first time in years. Pleasing the band's new label IRS Records. The tour would add another name and skilled player in Neil Murray. Not to forget the tenth year of Geoff Nichols in the band. Heaven And Hell and Headless Cross were turns for the better in Sabbath altogether. Throw in the fact this is also the best remembered.

2. Cross Purposes, Headless Cross's only downfall was American sales in album and concert tickets. Not even completing the American tour. But here you have the inclusion of Geezer Butler. Which is ten bonus points in itself. But out of all the TM era albums/tours this one did the best in America. Although Tony I was use to multtiple times the sales in America for other Sabbath albums, IRS was happy with the profit it made. Plus they also did the best to promote the album I think.

3. TYR, This one was the next step in iommi, Martin, Powell, Murray, and Nichols. This had that band unity that most of the 80's lacked. The same band who finished the last tour did an album then completed it's full tour. Mob rules was the only album in the 80's for Sabbath to have the same band record it and do the whole tour.

4. My fave but forth from this POV is Forbidden. A great album that's either love it or hate it. And so much trouble from the making of it.

5. Eternal Idol goes last for a couple reasons. Tony M had nothing to do with the making of it. Sure he sang it. But nothing of his is in the songs. And the story behind the makingg of it and the tour is a novel by itself.
                          Pain and Poison Roses

Comment

• 1 Headless Cross
                            2 Eternal Idol
                            3 Forbidden
                            4 Cross Purposes
                            5 Tyr

Comment

• Over the years my personal rankings have changed over and over. But currently it's like this..

1. Eternal Idol. Great songs, great singing by Tony, great riffs by Tony Iommi. Practically no stereotypical occult songs.
                              2. Tyr. Just an awesome album. Great album cover. As someone said earlier, it was a great idea basing the songs on Viking mythology. The production was so clean.
                              3. Forbidden. Iommi's guitar is so heavy on this album. I hate Ice T's part on Illusion of power. I had an mp3 once of the song without his part but it got deleted somehow. Very underrated album. Great having Cozy back and Neil Murray back. Ridiculously bad album cover.
                              4. Cross Purposes. I like about half the album. Virtual Death is my favorite. Sounds like a lost Dehumanizer song. I think it should have been the title of the album.
                              I was really pumped for Geezer and Tony Martin to be on a Black Sabbath album together. I remember seeing the commercial and hearing Tony Martin sing "Ohhh yeahhh" and getting excited.
                              5. Headless Cross. The first Black Sabbath album I ever bought on it's release day. I love the music and Tony Martin is a great singer, but the lyrics are horrid. The album cover looks pretty bad.

Comment

• 1. The Eternal Idol
                                2. Cross Purposes
                                3. Tyr
                                4. Headless Cross
                                5. Forbidden

The Top 3 there are among my all time favorite Sabbath albums, and I like them more than most Ozzy era Sabbath albums.

Comment

Working...
                                X