Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Re: Ranking the Martin Era Albums!

Now that I just received Eternal Idol yesterday in the mail from an ebay auction, I still need Cross Purposes before making a full judgement. CP should be coming this week as I won that over the weekend.

So far, without having listed to CP I would rank the albums:

1-Headless Cross
    2-TYR
    3-Eternal Idol
    4-Forbidden

Leave a comment:

• MarcStitz
    replied

Originally Posted By: mikewho
    5. Headless Cross… I must be one of the few people who isn’t impressed by this one. I still don’t know why it’s regarded as such a classic by some. Slick 80’s “Dokken-esqe” production. The lyrics are pretty cheesy. "Devil" this "devil" that ooooh… the Devil will get you and he’s evil… blah blah blah. It had a charm on the early stuff, but sounds silly from middle-aged men. And what is a “Headless Cross” anyway… a stick?
    Nope I don't like it either, I agree everything you said.

Leave a comment:

• thorgrim
    replied

Eternal Idol
    Headless Cross
    Tyr
    Cross Purposes
    Forbidden

Leave a comment:

• BloodshotGtr
    replied

Tyr. Musically TYR is absolutely amazing. Neil Murray and Cozy just rule on that album. And some of Tony's best solos and Martin's best vocals are on there.
    Tyr.
    Headless FUCKING Cross-Awesome, classic tracks on this one.
    Eternal Idol. Very heavy, very underrated.
    Forbidden Very VERY underrated. Great songs on here, Kiss of Death, Shaking off the Chains, most of them on there really.
    Cross Purposes-Some great tracks, Immaculate Deception, I really love EVIL EYE. GZR being on here helps it along a lot.
    CP Live-It's great in some spots but often it dosen't do it for me.

I really love them all.

Leave a comment:

• mikewho
    replied

1. Cross Purposes - Musically, I think CP is very strong… definitely feel the presence of Geezer.

2. Eternal Idol - A troubled recording, but with some great songs nonetheless.

3. TYR - Very strong… the Norse / Viking themes are a refreshing change from all the Devil songs. Strong material, overall.

4. Forbidden - Kind of odd production, but once you get used to it, it sorta works… rather odd - very deep- bass sound. Kinda like it. When “Shaking Off the Chains” gets going, it really rocks.

5. Headless Cross… I must be one of the few people who isn’t impressed by this one. I still don’t know why it’s regarded as such a classic by some. Slick 80’s “Dokken-esqe” production. The lyrics are pretty cheesy. "Devil" this "devil" that ooooh… the Devil will get you and he’s evil… blah blah blah. It had a charm on the early stuff, but sounds silly from middle-aged men. And what is a “Headless Cross” anyway… a stick?

Still it’s got it’s moments…. I like the Brian May solo in When Death Calls and the Riff to HC is pretty cool. All in all, it’s my least favorite though.

Leave a comment:

• Saboteur
    replied

Tyr
    Cross Puposes
    Eternal Idol
    Headless Cross
    Forbidden

Leave a comment:

• Psycho Man
    replied

I like:
    Eternal Idol - 9/10 songs
    Headless Cross - 8/9 songs
    Tyr - 9/9 songs
    Cross Purposes - 7/11 songs
    Forbidden - 8/11 songs

so
    #1 - Tyr
    #2 - Eternal Idol
    #3 - Headless Cross
    #4 - Forbidden
    #5 - Cross Purposes

and all very close

Leave a comment:

• Psycho Man
    replied

I like:
    Eternal Idol - 9/10 songs
    Headless Cross - 8/9 songs
    Tyr - 9/9 songs
    Cross Purposes - 7/11 songs
    Forbidden - 8/11 songs

so
    #1 - Tyr
    #2 - Eternal Idol
    #3 - Headless Cross
    #4 - Forbidden
    #5 - Cross Purposes

and all very close

Leave a comment:

• Niklas
    replied

Originally Posted By: Eternal Idol
    Tyr -1
    ODIN MY MAN, GOD BLESS YOU!

Leave a comment:

• Niklas
    replied

Originally Posted By: Eternal Idol
    Tyr -1
    ODIN MY MAN, GOD BLESS YOU!

Leave a comment:

• kentuckyfan
    replied

Cross Purposes
    Eternal Idol
    Headless Cross
    Forbidden
    TYR

Well i know thios is oppsite from most yu you. any album with Tony and Gezzer it great and the songs show the strength of this song writing team. Eternal Idol and Headless Cross both have s 2-3 very good songs and the rest are better than average Forbidden has a few songs that are good but most are average TYR has one great song and the rest average. but these are my thoughts.

Leave a comment:

• kentuckyfan
    replied

Cross Purposes
    Eternal Idol
    Headless Cross
    Forbidden
    TYR

Well i know thios is oppsite from most yu you. any album with Tony and Gezzer it great and the songs show the strength of this song writing team. Eternal Idol and Headless Cross both have s 2-3 very good songs and the rest are better than average Forbidden has a few songs that are good but most are average TYR has one great song and the rest average. but these are my thoughts.

Leave a comment:

• grandmaster
    replied

Cross Purposes ~ Some of their best work in years - definitely aided by the presence of Geezer.
    TYR ~ Spectacular album that I didn't get to start with, but its now one of my all time favourites, the way BoT Odin's Court and Valhalla wind together is incredible, and Anno Mundi one of Iommi's best ever riffs.
    Eternal Idol ~ Martin's best vocal performance on a Sabbath album, great songs, riffs, melodies altogether a great album.
    Headless Cross ~ Very 80s, very riff driven, still good.
    Forbidden ~ The opposite of Headless Cross in every sense, pretty good, has to live in the shadow of CP though.

Leave a comment:

• grandmaster
    replied

Cross Purposes ~ Some of their best work in years - definitely aided by the presence of Geezer.
    TYR ~ Spectacular album that I didn't get to start with, but its now one of my all time favourites, the way BoT Odin's Court and Valhalla wind together is incredible, and Anno Mundi one of Iommi's best ever riffs.
    Eternal Idol ~ Martin's best vocal performance on a Sabbath album, great songs, riffs, melodies altogether a great album.
    Headless Cross ~ Very 80s, very riff driven, still good.
    Forbidden ~ The opposite of Headless Cross in every sense, pretty good, has to live in the shadow of CP though.

Leave a comment:

• Eternal Idol
    replied

Once again for the record .
    Tyr -1
    Headless Cross -1a
    Eternal Idol-2
    Forbidden -3 not garbage
    Cross Purposes-4
    Cross Purposes Live-5
    Dehumanizer-6 maybe if i keep mentioning this it will finally appear !LOL!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X