Ranking the Martin Era Albums!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by B5Erik View Post
    1. The Eternal Idol 2. Cross Purposes 3. Tyr 4. Headless Cross 5. Forbidden The Top 3 there are among my all time favorite Sabbath albums, and I like them more than most Ozzy era Sabbath albums.
    Wow this speaks volumes. You should preamble all your reviews with this info.

Comment

• Originally posted by OIM View Post
      Wow this speaks volumes. You should preamble all your reviews with this info.
      I'm not stuck in, or blindly loyal to, ANY era from ANY band. I like what's good, regardless of era, line-ups, or whatever.

Comment

• Originally posted by A Sabbath Historian View Post
        Funny enough, the order in which they came out is EXACTLY how I'd rank them in terms of quality. Mediocre to poor, on the five star scale:

'Eternal Idol' ( Two stars ).

'Headless Cross' ( Two stars ).

'Tyr' ( One star ).

'Cross Purposes' ( One star ).

'Forbidden' ( One star ).

Even though I consider these albums to be the Tony Iommi Experience, I'll always acknowledge that the Martin era had it's share of shining moments ( ).
        I'm with you on the order of the albums. I almost put Forbidden above Cross Purposes, just because I wanted to be different, and because it seems a bit more original, but it just has way too many clunkers. I think the best stretch of songs is "I Witness" through "Virtual Death" on Cross Purposes for what that's worth. I also almost put Headless Cross above Eternal Idol, but too many of the songs sound too much alike on Headless. So yeah, same order!
        You bought and sold me with your lying words.
        Phil, your head's all full of lice!

Comment

• Eternal Idol - 5.5/10
          Headless Cross - 3/10
          TYR - 3/10
          Cross Purposes - 6/10
          Forbidden - 4/10

Comment

• Originally posted by Wheels Of Confusion View Post
            Eternal Idol - 5.5/10
            Headless Cross - 3/10
            TYR - 3/10
            Cross Purposes - 6/10
            Forbidden - 4/10
            thats about the way I'd score them although I'd probably be slightly more generous to Tyr and give it a 4.5 and swap HC for Forbidden.

Comment

• 1- Cross Purposes

2a- Eternal Idol
              2b- TYR

4- Headless Cross

7- Forbidden
              Good Beer is the perfect blend of Art & Science.

Comment

• Cross Purposes- Love Virtual Death. One of the heaviest tracks they recorded . The Hand That Rocks the Cradle also very good. Back to Eden, great
                TYR- I like Feels Good To Me. Must be one of the few who does!
                Headless Cross
                The Eternal Idol- The Shining, Ancient Warrior. Some great songs here
                Forbidden- I actually do like The Illusion of Power. Very heavy riff. Rusty Angels is my favourite track

Comment

• Originally posted by Thelemech View Post
                  Eternal Idol
                  TYR
                  Headless Cross
                  Cross Purposes
                  Forbidden
                  This has changed

Headless Cross
                  TYR
                  Eternal Idol
                  Forbidden
                  Cross Purposes
                  Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law

Comment

• I feel pretty bad for Forbidden...
                    You tried to suppress me
                    But nothing holds me down
                    Just when you think you're happy
                    I come around

Comment

• Post number 1, here we go. That it's ranking the Tony Martin albums might tell you a little bit about where my current interest in the band lies, and it's a shame to admit but after decades of original line-up Black Sabbath fandom I've only just now got into the Tony Martin albums for the first time. And quite frankly it's amazing.

1. Headless Cross - I love the production including keyboards and Cozy's 80s drums. Tony Martin sounds incredible and I also really enjoy the dark, even occult vibe of the whole thing.
                      2. Cross Purposes - Great production and some amazing riffs. It's a real toss-up with 'Tyr' for this spot, but I think the overall tone wins out for the moment.
                      3. Tyr - I love the viking vibe and of course the amazing opening track and the 'suite'.
                      4. The Eternal Idol - Doesn't quite do it for me in the same way as the others, although to be honest I need to hear this a bit more.
                      5. Forbidden - No where near as bad as the world has led me to believe, but this still comes in fifth place for me.

Comment

• Originally posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
                        1.) Forbidden (I can't grasp how people trash this album and say it's Sabbath's worst album)
                        2.) Eternal Idol
                        3.) Headless Cross
                        4.) TYR
                        5.) Cross Purposes

My rankings have changed:

1.) Eternal Idol
                        2.) Forbidden
                        3.) TYR
                        4.) Cross Purposes
                        5.) Headless Cross
                        "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
                        "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
                        ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Comment

• 1- Headless Cross: OK, i'm not so fond of the occult topic in general but i have to admit that this album is having some monsterous riffs by master Iommi. Every song is killer on this album, none of the songs is skippable or a filler. Definetely, among Sabbath's best.

2 - TYR: A definetely lighter and brighter atmosphere on this one, not so dark as Headless Cross. No filler songs here but on parts, it is a bit meh so, TYR loses the first place from Headless Cross. The songwriting is some steps lower than Headless Cross.

3 - Cross Purposes: OK, Headless Cross is one of Sabbath's best but Cross Purposes, is my favorite from the Martin era. I really like the energy and the groove on this album. I appreciate the uptempo music and the rhythm provided by Bobby Rondinelli it really does the job for me. The songwriting is not as good as the previous albums i mentioned but, i really liked this album. Also, i think that on this album, Tony Martin showed his full vocal capabilities because, he used his full range i think while on the previous, he used his high range mostly.

4 - Eternal Idol: Lets face it. Eternal Idol is one of the first Black Sabbath albums i have heard and it holds a special place in my heart. But, after a long time, i notice that i'm not really attracted on hearing this album regulary as Headless Cross, TYR, Cross Purposes. The Shining, Ancient Warrior, Eternal Idol, are really great songs but apart from those songs, meh. However, i admit that this album was a return to roots. It had the doomy, apocalyptic song like "Black Sabbath" (Eternal Idol), it had an acoustic instrumental like Embryo (Scarlet Pimpernel) but the rest of the album, is not having another resemblamce with the Black Sabbath name.

5 - Forbidden: Yes, this album is having a really good guitar work in riffing and soloing and for me, Tony Iommi gave his best on this one. But overall, Forbidden isn't a great album. The production, the half-assed vocals are removing enough points from this album. And some of the songs are great (Kiss Of Death is a hidden gem) but apart from those, i'm not so mad about this album. I used to like it at first but now, not so much....

Comment

• Originally posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
                            My rankings have changed:

1.) Eternal Idol
                            2.) Forbidden
                            3.) TYR
                            4.) Cross Purposes
                            5.) Headless Cross
                            Eternal Idol has always been my favorite Black Sabbath album with Tony Martin.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kennyz View Post
                              Eternal Idol has always been my favorite Black Sabbath album with Tony Martin.
                              It has surpassed Forbidden slightly, and has some of the best Martin/Sabbath classics on it.

Thank you for accepting my friendship request K.
                              "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
                              "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"

Comment

• My new ranking

1.) Forbidden (Best Martin/Sabbath album, one of the best Sabbath album covers)

2.) TYR (been listening to this album a lot, great album, love Feels Good To Me)

3.) Headless Cross (find memories Headless Cross #1 Martin/Sabbath song)

4.) Eternal Idol (this one has only changed position because it was originally a Ray Gillen album, but still fantastic, The Shining and Ancient Warrior, top Sabbath songs)

5.) Cross Purposes (Cross Of Thorns, wow!!!)

Comment

Working...
                                X