X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• English only??

Why English only??
    Black Sabbath is HEAVY; Judas Priest is METAL. \m/

I'm sure it's because the mods speak English and want to make sure folks keep the conversations civil. Nothing wrong with that.

Comment

gotta say i am dissappointed. this rule alienates (no pun intended) south america as well as well as most of europe where h and h and metal are HUGE!

Joe and mods- why not recruit bilingual moderators to monitor the other language threads, prob just german spanish and french???

Comment

Originally posted by ScreaminDoug
        Why English only??
        Because I can't read anything other than English. I cant tell if there are things going on that need to be dealt with.

---------- Post added at 01:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:29 AM ----------

Originally posted by ScreaminDoug
        Joe and mods- why not recruit bilingual moderators to monitor the other language threads, prob just german spanish and french???
        I'd have to trust a mod personally to add them. I don't know anyone i trust enough that can speak the languages who would want to do this. Will never just add a mod like that. The couple of mods i have now are people I had known for some time before I made them mods.
        Joe Siegler, Webmaster - Black Sabbath Online
        View my CD collection | View my movie collection | What I've been listening to

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels." (Matthew 25:41)

Comment

i'm agree to use the english...but please be patient with me 'cause i dont speak english very well
          "if you want to find me, if you really care, follow the tears, they're everywhere"
          "Then they were thrown to the ground Wiht a terrible sound Just like somebody broke a heart Rock 'N' Roll Children Alone again Rock 'N' Roll Children Without a friend But they got Rock 'N' Roll"

Comment

Originally posted by Frina View Post
            i'm agree to use the english...but please be patient with me 'cause i dont speak english very well
            This is a bit of a sketchy suggestion, but you could try using Google translator. It seems like you have a fair amount of knowledge in terms of the English language and you could try and sort through any errors that come about from its use.
            http://wickedinquisition.bandcamp.com/

Comment

English only is a very good policy....there is absolutely no reason what so ever to ever change that as far as I'm concerned.

Comment

I understand your position Joe.

I still feel sad that's how it has to be.

Comment

It's incredibly easy to translate stuff into other languages.

It doesn't work very well for THIS website, because all images are turned into a "Stop trying to steal it!" graphic from Joe. BUT you *can* put a web address into Google Translate, choose what language you want it translated to, and it works.

If you want a single post translated, it's easier - Just copy the text, paste it into the translator, and poof, you're reading a fairly reliable (not perfect) translation. This has been very valuable for me when talking about another band, I managed to carry on a conversation with someone in almost-real time in a chat box in Russian.

-------------------------
                  Here is the above text, in Spanish, after 2 seconds in Google Translate:
                  -------------------------

Es increíblemente fácil de traducir cosas en otros idiomas.

No funciona muy bien para este sitio web, porque todas las imágenes se convierten en un "Deja de tratar de robar!" gráfica de Joe. , pero * puede * poner una dirección web en Google Translate, elija el idioma que usted desea que traducidas a, y funciona.

Si quieres un puesto único traducido, es más fácil - Sólo tienes que copiar el texto, pegarlo en el traductor, y zas, que estás leyendo una traducción bastante fiable (no perfecto). Esto ha sido muy valiosa para mí cuando se habla de otra banda, me las arreglé para mantener una conversación con alguien en tiempo casi-real en una ventana de chat en ruso.
                  ------------------------------

Of course, the point of this is that you *can* translate stuff into your own language (there's dozens available in the translator), and write full responses in your own language and translate them into English for the rest of this site's community to read. This is an English-only site (as it should be, in order to accomodate the extreme majority of users) but that does not exclude anyone at all from use or participation.

All the best,
                  PAULIE
                  Last edited by Paulie 88; 02-01-2011, 10:50 AM. Reason: Summary
                  http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-UoulA6r90n...ill%2Bward.JPG

Comment

English is not "universally universal", but it is universal enough. And there are metal boards in all the different languages where there are metal fans.

Take it as an opportunity to improve your English

Comment

I am Bulgarian, but i still think that all threads should be in English, because English is the most spoken language by the people in the forums. If you don't know a word or something, you can always find and use Google Translator
                      RIP Ronnie James Dio! We will always remmember you as very good person, as the voice of the Universe! As the one who passed the final frontier in the music with his voice! A kind person with voice that even God haven't heard! You always will live in our soul, cause dreamers never die!

Comment

Originally posted by ScreaminDoug View Post
                        prob just german spanish and french???
                        well, these are all counties who for some reason refuse to learning english...

don't claim this to be some European thing, couse us here up north have learned the value of learning the world language a long time ago...

these countries somehow still consider themself a "super-power", but people, history shows you haven't been so in a hundred years... (don't force me to get political, it's not allowed on this forum)

England (& Us of A) won, and English became the language the world would gather around... nothing to argue about, just deal with it. that's just the way it is...

man, i've met more french-men who knows German & NORWEGIAN (for god knows what reason (black metal:-P?)) better than english... there must be something terrible wrong here, and i don't think it's their school-system...
                        there's more Eastern Europeans that speaks/understands English than Southern Europeans, and they were'nt even allowed to learn it... think about that...

i get really annoyed about Europeans (or any other from the so-called "western world" for that matter..) who just don't bother to learn English... (no shit...:-P)
                        PEOPLE, THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE IS JUST ANOTHER DIALECT DERRIVED FROM THE GENERAL (INDO-)EUROPEAN LANGUAGE!!! wake up and see the connections, please?

B.T.W Google Translate is a good tool for translating single words, but not necessarily whole sentences...
                        Last edited by Billy Underdog; 09-05-2011, 03:30 PM.
                        95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
                        Til árs ok friðar ok forn siðr

Comment

Thanks for the perspective Billy. And you are right, Google Translator is no substitute for knowing a language. Figures of speech and slang usually do not translate. Peace.

Comment

Originally posted by Freeyyaa Skogkatt
                            My native language is Russian, I also studied English and French. It is a pity I cannot post anything in French and Russian.
                            Jeg har godt kunne tenkt meg å kunne skrive alt på Norsk, men da ville jeg ikke nådd ut til veldig mange...

Eller aller helst på dialekt..:

E ha godt kunnja tenkt me å skreve altj på Trøndersk, men da villa e ittj ha nådd ut så te veldi mang...

The Google translate of the Norwegian one is understandable, though the first four-five words are total nonsence.
                            Try understanding it by reading the dialect one first...

Point is: There's a good reason we communicate in the language that've spread the most around the world...
                            95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
                            Til árs ok friðar ok forn siðr

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Underdog View Post
                              Jeg har godt kunne tenkt meg å kunne skrive alt på Norsk, men da ville jeg ikke nådd ut til veldig mange...

Eller aller helst på dialekt..:

E ha godt kunnja tenkt me å skreve altj på Trøndersk, men da villa e ittj ha nådd ut så te veldi mang...

The Google translate of the Norwegian one is understandable, though the first four-five words are total nonsence.
                              Try understanding it by reading the dialect one first...

Point is: There's a good reason we communicate in the language that've spread the most around the world...

So we can post in other launguages!

I will try it. Yo hablo espanol. Me gusts toca mi guitarra.

My Spanish is awful, I have no understanding of grammar en espanol.
                              You tried to suppress me
                              But nothing holds me down
                              Just when you think you're happy
                              I come around

Comment

Working...
                              X