Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Software Change

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Software Change

    FYI, thought I'd throw this out there. I'm strongly contemplating switching software for the forums to something new. I've been using vBulletin since the 90's, and while I know it well, the core concept is old school. Even the newer versions of vB still have the same basic structure and problems/issues. So one of the other forums I admin has moved to this software, and I'm really liking it.

    The software is called Discourse, and if you want to see it live, you can go here: http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/ (There's also the other board I'm talking about, but it just opened a couple of days ago and has very little traffic right now: http://boards.3drealms.com)

    They do have a "play board", where you can log on and do whatever you want, but that place is reset daily. You can see that sandbox/playground here: http://try.discourse.org/

    FYI, this is not an open vote to decide, if I do this, I'll decide to do it. It won't just be sprung on folks one day, I'll announce when it's happening and shit, but this is something I'm starting to like - a lot. So many things from the current forum concept are things I wish there was a better way of dealing with, and these forums tend to do it.

    I will say this. The software is different. There's no doubt. But lots of things flow more naturally IMO, and especially on the back end. It will switch to almost zero the problem we have with spam, too. The anti-spam I've had in place for the last two years works mostly, but this is almost zero from what I've been told by people who use it.
    Last edited by Joe Siegler; 01-29-2016, 10:10 PM.
    Joe Siegler, Webmaster - Black Sabbath Online
    View my CD collection | View my movie collection | What I've been listening to

    "Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels." (Matthew 25:41)

  • #2
    Sorry, I am not the most computer smart person on the earth. It sounds like a stupid question, but here goes: Will all of the posts still be here?
    You tried to suppress me
    But nothing holds me down
    Just when you think you're happy
    I come around

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Iron Wizard View Post
      Sorry, I am not the most computer smart person on the earth. It sounds like a stupid question, but here goes: Will all of the posts still be here?
      No. Posts or accounts won't be transferable. So if there will be a software change we all have to register again with new profiles.


      I honestly have to say that format looks very very confusing. It's basically just a list of things. No subforums, no categories nothing. Finding topics from a format like that would probably be very difficult. That's not really a forum at all, it's a message board or almost like a chatboard really like Reddit. Not a fan at all frankly.

      But ofcourse my opinion doesn't matter. This is ofcourse Joe's thing and if you want to change it ain't nothing we can do about it but adjust.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Charger View Post
        No subforums, no categories nothing. Finding topics from a format like that would probably be very difficult. That's not really a forum at all, it's a message board or almost like a chatboard really like Reddit.
        I don't know, the gearbox site is categorized - Click "News" then see a list of subcategories, each of which contains threads relevant to that topic. The Discourse software certainly has a different look and feel, but unless I'm missing something it seems to be the same conceptually.

        Thanks for the heads-up Joe, change can be a good thing
        gadji beri bimba glandridi laula lonni cadori - Ball

        Comment


        • #5
          Just to give my 2 cents:
          I have always liked the current setup and am very impressed
          with it. The look, the style, the smoothness of use, all A+.
          Nobody I know is gonna take my rock & roll away from me.

          Comment


          • #6
            Just giving another two cents: I absolutely agree with Typhon. This style right now is awesome, the best I have seen on a forum.
            You tried to suppress me
            But nothing holds me down
            Just when you think you're happy
            I come around

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Charger View Post
              No. Posts or accounts won't be transferable. So if there will be a software change we all have to register again with new profiles.
              Oh really? Why'd you say no like that? There is an importer. How well it works I can't say as I haven't tried installing the software yet.

              Originally posted by Vynlsol View Post
              I don't know, the gearbox site is categorized - Click "News" then see a list of subcategories, each of which contains threads relevant to that topic. The Discourse software certainly has a different look and feel, but unless I'm missing something it seems to be the same conceptually.
              That same thing applies if you click "Categories", and then you see a list like we have now.

              As I said, yes - it's different, but it goes way faster, has better tools for managing problems, and is well connected with current social media trends and whatnot.

              The decision is not made yet, but I am leaning that way.
              Joe Siegler, Webmaster - Black Sabbath Online
              View my CD collection | View my movie collection | What I've been listening to

              "Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels." (Matthew 25:41)

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Joe Siegler View Post
                Oh really? Why'd you say no like that? There is an importer. How well it works I can't say as I haven't tried installing the software yet.
                I've been on few forums that have gone through software change and none of them were able to import old accounts succesfully. Although ofcourse none of them changed into the one you're thinking of but all started with vB.

                I hope it is possible though, but it might prove difficult.

                Comment


                • #9
                  So our accounts and data (posts,profile pictures, avatars etc.) will still be here?
                  You tried to suppress me
                  But nothing holds me down
                  Just when you think you're happy
                  I come around

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    FYI, I started doing some work on this again.

                    The plan is still to import all the existing data. I don't want to start from scratch.

                    By default, Discourse has a "firehose" concept, which is a big list of all the recent posts across every topic. But you can also look at it the same way we do here. Which is category / subcategory (if exist) / list of that category's trheads. You can see that here and here.

                    There is one thing on discourse that I REALLY FRIGGIN LOVE, but I know a lot of people will probably hate. There's no signatures. I really like that. People get out of control with signatures, IMO.
                    Joe Siegler, Webmaster - Black Sabbath Online
                    View my CD collection | View my movie collection | What I've been listening to

                    "Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels." (Matthew 25:41)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Joe Siegler View Post
                      There is one thing on discourse that I REALLY FRIGGIN LOVE, but I know a lot of people will probably hate. There's no signatures. I really like that. People get out of control with signatures, IMO.
                      Just limit the number of total characters that can be used,
                      problem solved.
                      Nobody I know is gonna take my rock & roll away from me.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X