Announcement

Collapse

Logins with New Software

If you are having problems staying logged in since the Jan 15 change to the new version of vBulletin, please go to your browser's configuration area, and delete the cookies for this website, and reboot your browser.

-- Joe
See more
See less

Info on the vB Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Info on the vB Upgrade

Here's a message about the changes.

First off, as y'all have noticed, the forums have been erratic the last several days. This has to due with the fact that I upgraded PHP on the server. I was using 5.2.something, and it's been upgraded to the current stable version - 7.4. That has any number of benefits from speed to security, etc.. But it is incompatible with the old version of vBulletin we were using. That was v4.2.2. That would not work with PHP 7.x. I tried to hack it - found a few pages with claims of making code changes, but it didn't work.

These forums were running somewhat, but not perfectly. There were problems. I couldn't live with that long, so I had to bite the bullet and upgrade the vBulletin software. It's no secret I've been fairly hands off of late, I'll fix problems, but this was something fundamental - if I didn't fix this the forums would not work right. So I went and upgraded vBulletin to the current version - 5.5.6.

Everything is upgraded and works perfectly.. But there's one major side effect to that - the old style I was using here is no more. vBulletin 5.x is incompatible with the old vBulletin 4 skins, so I had to revert to default. That's what is here now - this is the default theme for vBulletin using one of their built in skins called "Dark". It's obviously not the same, but there's little I could do about that. The old styles are unusable. I still have all the graphics and files backed up, but I could not import them. The forums will have to look like this for awhile. I know it's not preferable, but I felt it was essential to get the forums up and running again - which they are.

There's a few things missing which I'm aware of.
    1. Tapatalk
    2. Custom interface cross graphics for new/read posts.
    3. Some of the text colors are grey and not white (like the area where you compose messages).
    But all user accounts and posts are intact as they were before the PHP upgrade problem. So that's good. No data loss - the only real loss is the "coat of paint" - something that can be repaired eventually.

Overall, I got most of the important stuff done, and it looks "OK", if not great. So I think we're good to go again.

Also, as an FYI, I had intended on doing this about a year ago, and collected money to pay for the license upgrade. That's what this is - it took me awhile, but I finally got the software upgraded with what y'all contributed to it for awhile back.

If there's anything missing - or truly broken let me know, but it should all be working save for the things above I mentioned.
    Last edited by Joe Siegler; 01-15-2020, 04:41 PM.
    Joe Siegler, Webmaster - Black Sabbath Online
    View my CD collection | View my movie collection | What I've been listening to

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels." (Matthew 25:41)

I also went through and deleted anyone who had logged in, verified their account, and posted nothing whose last login was at least 180 days ago. That was a surprising amount of people. Haven't done that in awhile, as some of the people there had their join date back in 2014, and never posted a thing!

There's probably a few tweaks to be made as real people start using this and noticing things. Will update this post with any changes made too.

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels." (Matthew 25:41)

Comment

Thanks for the major upgrade, Joe!

By the way, not sure if this is the appropriate place to ask, but if it's in your power, can you fix my username please? It was supposed to be 70sOzzyBlackSabbath! but I made a typo and it came out as 70sOzzyBlackSabbah! instead when I was registering my account. Any help regarding that matter would be appreciated.
      ♫Forget all your sorrow, don't live in the past,
      and look to the future, 'cause life goes too fast, you know♫

Comment

Wow. Forums are looking and working great. Thanks!

Comment

Aaaaah! I fear change! Actually, this is pretty cool. Much snappier in response time. Thanks for the hard work!

Comment

The Site looks great Joe. Thanks for keeping this going! Rock On!

Comment

Originally posted by William_the_Bloody View Post
              Aaaaah! I fear change! Actually, this is pretty cool. Much snappier in response time. Thanks for the hard work!
              The snappy is largely due to the fact that I upgraded PHP from 5.2 to 7.4. One of the big deals with PHP 7 is a speed increase. Also, the current version of vBulletin helped. A lot of the third party plugins and stuff could have been slowing things down. This is a mostly vanilla forum installation at this point.

Comment

Thanks for keeping the site running Joe, no Thanks button?
                "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
                "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
                ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
                  Thanks for keeping the site running Joe, no Thanks button?
                  There’s a like button.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Siegler View Post

There’s a like button.
                    I'm not seeing a like button Joe?
                    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
                    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyIsDio View Post

I'm not seeing a like button Joe?
                      Down in the corner.

Screen Shot 2020-01-17 at 2.41.33 PM.png

Comment

On my screen I only have "Edit", "Quote" and "Flag". Do I need to change a setting?
                        My name is Lucifer please take my hand.

Comment

Originally posted by KiloDeltaCharlie View Post

On my screen I only have "Edit", "Quote" and "Flag". Do I need to change a setting?
                          Try it now. Your user group ("Regular Users") was not set to use that feature. I turned it on, you should be able to see it now.

Comment

Try it now. Your user group ("Regular Users") was not set to use that feature. I turned it on, you should be able to see it now.
                            Thank you Joe, on my phone I can see it, not on my computer like Kilo, I’ll check tomorrow when I log in on my computer and let you know.

Comment

Hi Joe, yes it's now there.
                              My name is Lucifer please take my hand.

Comment

Working...
                              X