Announcement

Collapse

Logins with New Software

If you are having problems staying logged in since the Jan 15 change to the new version of vBulletin, please go to your browser's configuration area, and delete the cookies for this website, and reboot your browser.

-- Joe
See more
See less

The State of the Boards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The State of the Boards

I cant stand any other metal forum. the people on this board seem more open minded. thats probably the reason this is the only forum i frequent.

Comment

Originally Posted By: Buttock1234
      Originally Posted By: MarcStitz I remember getting bad rep, and disrespected for that. I notice everytime I post in this forum I get ignore by alot of people. Except for 8bit, Buttock, Ray, and RLP. Thats why I carried the RD in my sig, not for a sign of hate, but probably the only people to talk to.
      I actually disagree that this whole "group" situation was causing the quality of the boards to deteriorate on any level. Humans, by nature, want be be part of a group, want to be part of a tight-knit community with others they can relate with. There's nothing wrong with that.

I agree, that people should hold their tongue on some things, and not mindlessly bash Ozzy/TM/Dio/anything if at all possible. But to force us to leave our "groups" behind, because of some bitching, is just ludicrous, I feel.

The whole "RD vs TM Spartans" thing was NOT a sign of hate, as Marc so eloquently put it, but merely us joking around. We've had scuffles in the past, but we've gotten past that, and now we're all actually pretty close friends. Hell, I even have Ray Rules and NWO on my MSN list...

But I will grudgingly remove the affiliation from my sig, so as not to cause any ruckus, or extra work for the mods. Hopefully this whole thing will just blow over.

Couldnt have said anything better !

Comment

Originally Posted By: matt88 I cant stand any other metal forum. the people on this board seem more open minded. thats probably the reason this is the only forum i frequent.
        That's what also made me drawn to this forum (besides being a Sabbath fan of course ). It was a feeling that people could mention any artists they like, metal or non-metal, in an open environment. And even if the resulting discussion involved some sort of critiquing of the music, it was also an articulate debate which would never lead to bashing a member for liking that style....for the most part.

Although this does actually remind me of one incident that kind of ticked me off. I was mentioning picking up an Elton John album in a thread on recent purchases (it was Goodbye Yellow Brick Road to be precise), and one reaction I got was "how can people listen to this pop shit". Not being a fan is one thing I can understand, but to degrade one of us for our tastes is another story. I came here to share some music I love; I don't mind level-headed debates as long as nobody forces me to defend my tastes in that manner.

So I suppose my suggestion is if we mention any artists that a member is not fond of, to choose words carefully when critiquing so you won't offend people who are fans. The wording, phrasing and tone makes all the difference.

Comment

Originally Posted By: JEFFMETAL If I would complain about anything here is the lack of freedom of some thoughts here. I felt offended by things done onto me by the staff here.
          At the risk of sounding like an ass, tough shit. If you do something that breaks a rule, you're going to have something said to you. It's as simple as that. As I said above, consider the mods an extension of myself. If you have a problem with them, then you have a problem with me. Generally people only have problems with forum staff when said staff has to lay down a law - if you behave, then everything's fine.

General statement:

The rules are what they are to prevent legal problems and asshats dominating the boards. If you want to act stupid, there's plenty of places that don't give a shit, and will allow you to be as dumb as you want to be.

As I said when I launched this place, I've been doing online communications now since 1985. I have a handle on what causes problems, and especially in music communities. My rules stand. If you don't like the rules laid out here, don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

Originally Posted By: MarcStitz Ray shall be missed!!!
          Ray is not going anywhere.

Quote: The last year was the most aweful time of this forum has ever seen!!! During that year I remember having fun, joking around, and having a good time with the forum; but all I got was slander, desrespected, and being put down
          Cry me a river. Anyone who gets mildly insulted these days claims "disrespect". Bullshit. People can disagree with you, even insult you. I detest seeing "disrespect" online, because lots of people throw it around as some "badge" that nobody can soil. Get the tiniest amount of dirt on said badge, and people act like their mother has been raped or something. Yeesh.

Quote: So now Joe is back I just hope things go back to normal.
          That's up to you guys.

Originally Posted By: Rover Damn, this place is just rioting.
          That's a bit extremist. Hardly.

Quote: It was so peaceful and fun to chat (the forum I stayed the longest of all and amassed more posts than on all other boards I ever visited, combines) and now it turned into a vision of hell.
          Again, if you want to discuss things, discuss them, don't fill your posts with silliness like "rioting" and "a vision of hell". It invalidates most everything else you say, because it just sounds so silly.

Quote: I mean, all that bitching and people taking sides... Guess I missed out the point of it all totally. Just weird, almost as though the havoc of the real world has crept into this forum.
          "taking sides"? It's called opinions. Unless personal insults are involved, you have to have a thicker skin. And even then you should have a thick enough skin to take a few shots.

Quote: Hope we all have the patience to resolve it all. More power to the Moderators and our gracious host Joe Siegler, one of a kind. I hope to see this place better than ever very very soon.
          Again, that's up to you guys.

Originally Posted By: Sir Kenneth There are no bloods and cribs here, that is true, but I would agree that there have been some attitude problems and general lack of tact. Some people seem to post in certain threads just to get a reaction out of others, without really having anything constructive to add to the topic at hand.
          The "Bloods vs Crips" remark was mine. The point I was trying to make was about cliques, not actual "gang wars" as such. Cliques are SERIOUSLY dangerous to online forums, because the folks in said clique generally conclude that nobody else is worthy whose opinion does not match theirs, and they end up being attacked by the clique.

<span style="color: #FF0000">Then for the love of God, stop reacting! That's why they're doing it! You're not helping by reacting to these things. If it really bothers you, then use the report a post, and move on.</span> It's what I mean about "disrespect". People get all pissy over other's opinions. Ignore it. Move on.

Quote: I'm just saying that perhaps people don't have to post that it is time for Ozzy to retire in all the Ozzy threads, and perhaps people don't have to post that the Tony Martin era stuff is crap in all the TM threads.
          Report it. Let staff deal with it.

Quote: With just a little bit of maturity and respect, this forum could go a long way.
          Yet again, that's up to you guys.
          Joe Siegler, Webmaster - Black Sabbath Online
          View my CD collection | View my movie collection | What I've been listening to

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels." (Matthew 25:41)

Comment

Originally Posted By: Joe Siegler

At the risk of sounding like an ass, tough shit. If you do something that breaks a rule, you're going to have something said to you. It's as simple as that. As I said above, consider the mods an extension of myself. If you have a problem with them, then you have a problem with me. Generally people only have problems with forum staff when said staff has to lay down a law - if you behave, then everything's fine.

General statement:

The rules are what they are to prevent legal problems and asshats dominating the boards. If you want to act stupid, there's plenty of places that don't give a shit, and will allow you to be as dumb as you want to be.

As I said when I launched this place, I've been doing online communications now since 1985. I have a handle on what causes problems, and especially in music communities. My rules stand. If you don't like the rules laid out here, don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.
            overall if we dont like your rules mate, then weve got the option to leave, if you can obide by it, then we decide to stay, its called self control, a few times ive thought about posting a comment or topic that ventures into the no-go area and thought nope better not, not only is it a waste of my time posting something and geting it deleted, its a was of moderators time finding and deleting it, again i say "you dont like the rules, then go"
            SDMF - CEMS for life!

Comment

Originally Posted By: Joe Siegler Cliques are SERIOUSLY dangerous to online forums, because the folks in said clique generally conclude that nobody else is worthy whose opinion does not match theirs, and they end up being attacked by the clique.
              Forgive me if I'm overstepping a line, but I feel that (at least for this board), this is not true at all. The fact that I am a Droogie, does not affect my perception of others opinions at all; and I feel that this is true for the rest of the Droogies (and the Spartans) as well.

I pride myself in the fact that I never, ever try to make my opinion out to be above, or more valid than anyone elses, and the fact that I'm in a group does not change that. If you read some of my past posts, you will see that I in fact preach the opposite; that music is subjective, everyone has their own opinion, and none of them are inherently right or wrong.

The only reason that these are now suddenly disallowed is due to one member's (not naming names) skewed view of these groups; that you have to be "in a group" to be cool. Again, I do not view other members as inferior due to the fact that they're not in one of these groups. So I don't see anything wrong here.

I know that my points are probably not going to change this new ruling, and I mean no disrespect, Joe, but I'm merely stating my opinion here, and calling things as I see them.

Comment

Maybe I'm wrong, but saying "Joe's back, maybe things will return to normal" ... it shouldn't take Joe coming back to do that. In fact, that comment would concern me if I were Joe. Joe has a life and he didn't set this board up to babysit it all the time. His website was and is doing fine without a forum.

If we behave whether Joe's here or not, we'll still have the forum to enjoy.

Comment

Originally Posted By: Joe Siegler Cliques are SERIOUSLY dangerous to online forums, because the folks in said clique generally conclude that nobody else is worthy whose opinion does not match theirs, and they end up being attacked by the clique.
                  Forgive me if I'm overstepping a line, but I feel that (at least for this board), this is not true at all. The fact that I am a Droogie, does not affect my perception of others opinions at all; and I feel that this is true for the rest of the Droogies (and the Spartans) as well.

I pride myself in the fact that I never, ever try to make my opinion out to be above, or more valid than anyone elses, and the fact that I'm in a group does not change that. If you read some of my past posts, you will see that I in fact preach the opposite; that music is subjective, everyone has their own opinion, and none of them are inherently right or wrong.

The only reason that these are now suddenly disallowed is due to one member's (not naming names) skewed view of these groups; that you have to be "in a group" to be cool. Again, I do not view other members as inferior due to the fact that they're not in one of these groups. So I don't see anything wrong here.

I know that my points are probably not going to change this new ruling, and I mean no disrespect, Joe, but I'm merely stating my opinion here, and calling things as I see them.
                  That's fair, but do me the same curtosey (sp?). If you truly believe in what you say about your own opinion, then the concept of "clique" is unnecessary to you.
                  Joe Siegler, Webmaster - Black Sabbath Online
                  View my CD collection | View my movie collection | What I've been listening to

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels." (Matthew 25:41)

Comment

I'll be honest, I've never run into trouble on here. Ever. And I am the most controversial person sometimes. I pick arguments with VERY strong opinions and run people down for them. It can cause trouble despite the fact that generally, I have the best intentions and love everyone on here to bits. It's just how I always am, I'm a total misfit and I'm socially inept.

And I haven't got in trouble for anything.

Know what that means? If Joe & co are smart enough to have picked up on the fact that I'm an ok guy really and they're still finding troublemakers....those guys really ARE causing shit. And it also shows the administration are fairly thoughtful, so everything's being done carefully.

I didn't notice this latest batch of trouble, but I've seen instances where I hoped something was done. Generally not involving me, so I kept my distance so people could report their problems themselves. I'm somewhat glad it has happened.

And if anyone cares, someone just came on MSN and linked me to a 'new' Black Sabbath forum. It's got 3 users, 0 posts, it's on a slow slow slow free server with a hideous skin and no rich history like this place has. I also doubt the people involved have much experience with forum administration. It's a petty response, but thought I'd throw it up in the air for y'all. Cuz at least it means the trouble's getting out of here.
                    http://theramblingelf.tumblr.com/ - my Tumblog (music reviews galore!)
                    http://twitter.com/TheRamblingElf - my Twitter
                    http://www.facebook.com/rwarrell - my Facebook

Comment

Quote: the concept of "clique" is unnecessary to you.
                      unnecessary yes but they are fun too, its a way to enrich the friendships we build here
                      "I want to tell you, yeah
                      How Good It Feels
                      Sleeping here with you tonight
                      And thatís for real"
                      -Sometimes I'm Happy 8/5/75

Comment

Originally Posted By: Joe Siegler That's fair, but do me the same curtosey (sp?). If you truly believe in what you say about your own opinion, then the concept of "clique" is unnecessary to you.
                        I did not mean you any discourtesy, and I apologize if it seemed that way. I also didn't say your argument didn't have merit, I'm just saying, I disagree.

As Psycho Man says, yes, cliques are unnecessary. I don't deny that. But they're fun, and they're a way to enrich the friendships with other members of the board, which is always a good thing.

I think cliques are only really a problem, when the people in them are intolerant. I do not feel that this is the case on this board. Sure, me and some other members have had problems with it before, but as I said, we've moved past that, and even become friends.

Comment

I had a huge fight with my internet provider company. Almost cryed due the angry I felt. This is the first place I came after turning the telephone off.. That made me feel how important this board is to me.. I'm not leaving, I don't know what I would do without this place to chill. Sorry Joe and staff if I ever did something wrong with you guys, never meant to do that. Sorry Danzig, for trolling over you a few days ago, I just lost it when I saw you arguing with my friend, I entended to hurt you but I'm sorry about that.

Joe, if you need any help on taking care of the board, you know you can count on me, as always.

Everybody, have a good night.
                          Love you all
                          Can't you see what I see
                          You and I victims of Their word
                          As the master of power
                          Try to poison our world
                          ----- Eternal Idol ~ 1987

Comment

If it helps, from time to time if I find a guy that I don't agree with, I have the ignore list to use as well. Thanks Ray, but it was not needed for you to defend me. Time goes by, I just find it easier with a click of a button to ignore posts that I don't want to see. If anything though, I just wish we could all forget about this and move on, but it's not easy.
                            "Even with so much bad blood between us... It's funny... Now that I'm actually face to face with him again... The hatred is gone. All I feel is a deep sense of longing. And pity. Did Zero really hate me? Or... Did he fear me?" - Big Boss

Comment

NO!!!! You need to discuss it, discuss why you feel that is. That is intelligent conversation. Joe has given as a great place to do that. Conveniently and well organized.

I would hope that this be a huge fanbase to this kick-ass band Black Sabbath. Cause why would you come here if not to know more about the band. Build up the fanbase.
                              "I want to tell you, yeah
                              How Good It Feels
                              Sleeping here with you tonight
                              And thatís for real"
                              -Sometimes I'm Happy 8/5/75

Comment

I take it you mean me, but I have no power here... The reason they are disallowed is because Joe saw fit to disallow them.

Anyway, as 8Bit said... Time to move on.

Comment

Working...
                                X