The State of the Boards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The State of the Boards

Touche, Randy! I guess that puts my thoughts in the realm of "What he said." I used to spend a lot of time on this site several years ago, but pretty much left the internet altogether to persue other activities as my son was growing up. As I've said before, now I'm getting back to things that <span style="color: #3333FF">I</span> enjoy. There's a reason that this site and these boards have endured. It's most definitely NOT because Joe and company have made bad decisions and don't know what they're doing.

Supposedly everybody is here for a common cause - interest in Black Sabbath. In essence, that should make the collective membership of these forums a clique. Differing opinions and open discussion is one thing, but I've read some of the personal commentary that's appeared here. That's just not cool.

Personally I don't have a problem with "sub-groups" of members with similar interests forming as long as it's done with the good of the overall membership in mind.
    Is it just me, or does somebody else believe it?
    I'm not alone, and I'm not afraid.
    There's just one thing to say, after all.

Comment

Quote: I don't think it's at all cool to insult Joe on this or any other board. When you call Joe or ANYONE a "Nazi" do you actually realise what you're saying? I've seen absolutely NOTHING to indicate that Joe is a follower of Adolf Hitler - THAT'S what a NAZI is.
      But furthermore Joe can do whatever he jolly well pleases to do simply because this is his site and his message board. Joe seems fairly liberal hold over this place. We can do pretty much as we like with some intelligently placed rules. I'm sure we can all see the reasons behind every rule Joe has placed. I'm also sure that if you read one you didn't agree with or didn't understand Joe would be open to giving his reasons.

Also perhaps if people think they might be a certain topic that voids the rule present your reasons why you think it has merit on the board to the Admin or a Mod. People tend to be kinder, and pass it back to you, when approached in a polite and intelligent manner.

Another thing to realize is that the internet has its limitations. A big part of discussions are tone. That doesn't exist over the net. People can miss interpret something as anything other than what it is. A good example is this post here, I can imagine someone thinking it cocky or its as some personal attack but I don't mean it to. This is my sincere effort to strengthen the Black Sabbath fan base.
      "I want to tell you, yeah
      How Good It Feels
      Sleeping here with you tonight
      And thatís for real"
      -Sometimes I'm Happy 8/5/75

Comment

Originally Posted By: DiosSword As a former IT and current psychology student, one thing I've noticed about the behaviour on this board is commonalities to almost all Internet boards: people who normally wouldn't talk the way they do if it were face-to-face feel as if they can do the poke-in-the-eye type of posts on the Net. And that's not just this board.

Of course, I have my fallibilities, such as getting annoyed at the "Black Sabbath is just 'War Pigs,' 'Paranoid,' 'Iron Man'" mindset. But I TRY not to make ad hominem attacks against an individual poster who may believe that way: "if you don't listen to Tony Martin, Dio, Hughes, Gillan, etc." you're just a narrow-minded twerp. I'm not always successful.
        That's one thing that does bother me with some boards. The anonymity seems to encourage certain users to become completely uninhibited with what they post. Just because you have an opportunity to flame doesn't me you should; it's all about self control. Just for the record though, if anyone here were to run into me face-to-face then you can pretty much expect me to speak the same way I post here (down to the slight eccentricities).

Originally Posted By: Psycho Man Another thing to realize is that the internet has its limitations. A big part of discussions are tone. That doesn't exist over the net. People can miss interpret something as anything other than what it is. A good example is this post here, I can imagine someone thinking it cocky or its as some personal attack but I don't mean it to. This is my sincere effort to strengthen the Black Sabbath fan base.
        Too true. Normally when I'm typing something I always have a particular tone in mind so I'd know how I'd say it in person. But every now and then memebers will take my comments the wrong way or don't have a clue where I'm going with my post (hell, sometimes my phrasing is so weird even in a conversation my friends can get confused! )

Comment

Originally Posted By: Psycho Man Another thing to realize is that the internet has its limitations.
          Yep. Ultimately, we're just words on the screen to one another, so getting furious over a comment just seems ridiculous to me. Anyhow, like you said, it is Joe's sandbox and he can do as he pleases. Don't like it? Then go away! But giving him shit for it is an attitude proper of pre-pubescent kids.
          The dog's name is Pete. If he tries to mount you in the middle of the night, say "no" sternly. But don't look him in the eye.

Comment

At the end of the day, Joe's kept this forum alive for years...so he's doing something right.
            http://theramblingelf.tumblr.com/ - my Tumblog (music reviews galore!)
            http://twitter.com/TheRamblingElf - my Twitter
            http://www.facebook.com/rwarrell - my Facebook

Comment

One thing that I've always liked about this board is that it shows the appeal of Black Sabbath (and heavy metal music in general) is worldwide.

We have posters here from the USA, Canada, UK, Australia, Brazil, continental Europe, Russia (help me if I've left a country out).

That's cool.
              He is not here. He has risen!

Comment

You've let out Argentina

Comment

Originally Posted By: Guillesab You've let out Argentina
                  See? No one like argentinians

ps: brazilian joke.
                  Can't you see what I see
                  You and I victims of Their word
                  As the master of power
                  Try to poison our world
                  ----- Eternal Idol ~ 1987

Comment

I admire much more the argentinians, even being brasilian.

Comment

Originally Posted By: David86 Yep. Ultimately, we're just words on the screen to one another, so getting furious over a comment just seems ridiculous to me. Anyhow, like you said, it is Joe's sandbox and he can do as he pleases. Don't like it? Then go away! But giving him shit for it is an attitude proper of pre-pubescent kids.
                      Very well said sir, sums it all up

Comment

One thing we all need to remember is that this is Joe's "house." He has opened the door and invited each of us in as a guest. As a guest of Joe's house we need to be respectful of his rules.

I am a member of 2 online Forums, and that is how I treat my membership in each of them.

If someone came into my home and started throwing stuff around and creating havoc, you can be darn sure I would show them the door.
                        "I can honestly say itís truly been an honor to play at his side for all these years, his music will live on forever." ~ Tony Iommi (Speaking of Ronnie James Dio)

Comment

I checked out the "other forum"... It's just a bitch fest on this board and it's admin!

Talk of nazism, facsism etc... Obscene stuff about Joe and his family... Even slagging friends like Ray Rules... Utter childishness.

Shows what a cool place this is and really anyone who goes over there with a view to join would surely just shrug and turn away if they read the shit going down there...

It's okay to be opinionated here... Just have the sense to back it up and show some respect.
                          fast descending

Comment

I too have checked out the "other forum". What a fricken joke. It consists of the same three people cussing, using bad grammar and spelling, and just generally not saying anything even remotely intelligent or interesting.

Comment

Originally Posted By: bloodyangel I checked out the "other forum"... It's just a bitch fest on this board and it's admin!

Talk of nazism, facsism etc... Obscene stuff about Joe and his family... Even slagging friends like Ray Rules... Utter childishness.

Shows what a cool place this is and really anyone who goes over there with a view to join would surely just shrug and turn away if they read the shit going down there...

It's okay to be opinionated here... Just have the sense to back it up and show some respect.
                              Well, I don't acess the so called "other board", but one thing I know, they don't talk shit about me. They are my friends, very, very close friends - Fred is coming down to Brazil in june - but I'm here and only here due loyalty to Joe. This is the first place I came for a forum and that's where I will stay.

I don't want to sound rude, but if you guys want to call Fred or anyother of the guys names, the best place is probably "the other board", and not here.

1) They can't reply here.
                              2) Joe is trying to clean out the place, and keeping the harsh feelings and hateful language isn't the best way to help him with that.

As Franklin says, just my $0.02.
                              Can't you see what I see
                              You and I victims of Their word
                              As the master of power
                              Try to poison our world
                              ----- Eternal Idol ~ 1987

Comment

I'm on the other board, but I didn't say nothing that people are pointing out above.

Comment

Working...
                                X