Australia: Bush Fires In Victoria

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australia: Bush Fires In Victoria

The news from around Melbourne is awful. The fires have taken 108 lives so far... and 750 homes. I have several friends in the area... many I haven't been able to reach to see if they're okay. I hope everyone on this forum who is from the area stays safe, & so do those that the rest of us know.

I can't believe that some of these fires are the work of arsonists... What total cunts.

Originally posted by devilmaycare View Post
    The news from around Melbourne is awful. The fires have taken 108 lives so far... and 750 homes. I have several friends in the area... many I haven't been able to reach to see if they're okay. I hope everyone on this forum who is from the area stays safe, & so do those that the rest of us know.

I can't believe that some of these fires are the work of arsonists... What total cunts.
    its now up around 131, they reckon itll get to over 200, my cousins lived in a town called marysville, now it looks like hiroshima at the end of ww2! they were the lucky ones tho, they escaped with their lives and thats about it! others from the town of 600 (12 to be exact) didnt.
    SDMF - CEMS for life!

Comment

Yeah, dmc, we aussies are in the thick of a 'fiery' horror, at the moment. Words defy me trying to describe just how distressing and deeply demoralising it has been for me to watch the massively destructive , unrelenting wildfires turning our countrysides into a giant furnace-like tinderbox---and laying to waste hundreds of homes and leaving grieving, devastated families behind. Btw, while Victoria has faced the major force of the ferocious fires, many parts of NSW have also been badly ravaged. The situation is currently beginning to improve, though the days and nights of hell are clearly not completely over yet. The latest official death toll is approximately 135-140 with over 900 homes destroyed. Though, the real human loss and suffering can never be adequately quantified by mere statistics.

So-called 'bush fires' are all too common in Australia, occuring annually, all over the country. However, unprecedented, record-breaking, searingly high temperatures ( highs of 105-118 F) of a hellish, reportedly 'once-in-a-century' 'heat wave' this summer has made the situation even worse.

Now, dmc, regarding those abominable, diabolical "arsonists" that have allegedly deliberately sparked, even 'relit', fires, themselves---well, there's news for those scums of the earth. A full, state and federal investigation hopes to uncover 'evidence' of such crimes perpetrated by individual or group of arsonists and expects to charge them with 'murder' or 'manslaughter'. A senior police spokewoman in Victoria said as much when queried on the topic, saying "They can and possibly will be charged with murder, it depends on the evidence that comes to hand. They'll be charged with either murder or manslaughter". The Australian Institute of Criminology published a report just last week, saying that nearly half of Australia's 15-30,000 bushfires every year, are 'deliberate'. Our state (South Australia) premier, Mike Rann, spoke of how at least 20% of fires in SA, this summer, are down to arsonists, with another 20% due to outright 'stupidity or negligence'. Rann went on to declare how 'These people (i.e. arsonists) are 'terrorists' of our nation, the enemy within, and we have to be increasingly vigilant about these callous criminals" The New South Wales premier said arsonists face--or ought to face (I forget exactly which)---a maximum of 25 years in jail.

Yeah, I definitely find the acts of arsonists utterly despicable and they oughta be caught and brought to face the justice due to them.

Meantime, I've made a visit over Fri-Sat to Victoria (Melbourne and other areas) to witness, up close and personal, the nature and extent of the fires and the damage caused. I don't have the heart to report what I've seen. It's much too bleak and painful to retell here on a forum board. I missed out on making a trip accompanying our excellent leader, Prime Minister, Kevin Rudd, but it appears that I'd be travelling with Mike Rann early tomorrow, hopefully to both Victoria and NSW, for the latest, first-hand update on the situation. Also, my entire family--mum, dad, sisters, and of course, myself, are already committed to donating vast amounts of assistance in cash to help as many suffering families as we possibly can.

dmc, do check on your friends and contacts in Aus, to be assured that at least all is reasonably well with them. But I can tell you, that the 'worst' is definitely over and things are fast 'on the mend'.
      Last edited by RLP4ever; 02-09-2009, 06:38 AM.
      "Actors really are the scum of the earth. Their behavior makes arrogant, overpaid rock stars appear positively noble' - Buzz Osborne

Comment

Of course I've heard about it. I saw something on the news this morning that just literally looked like hell on earth.

Is it mostly in Victoria and NSW, or has it spread to other parts of Australia?

As for the arsonists...notice the first syllable of that word: ARSE!

Once the legal powers-that-be in Australia get hold of them, lock 'em up and throw away the key for what they've done to their country, as far as I'm concerned.

After all, if it were another country coming and dropping firebombs in Australia, that would be an act of war, and Mr Rudd would be right to despatch the Army, RAN and RAAF to deal with them.
        He is not here. He has risen!

Comment

My best wishes to those people who live in the burned out areas and to the firefighters who work so hard to put the fires out. We had a serious fire here in Santa Barbara this November where about 200 houses were lost but, miraculously, nobody was killed. As bad as the fire was for locals, the devastation pales in comparison to what is going on in Australia.
          How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them.
          --Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Franklin View Post
            We had a serious fire here in Santa Barbara this November where about 200 houses were lost but, miraculously, nobody was killed.

Wasn't that Arson as well?

I'm a couple hours south of you Franklin. Not that it was any less severe for Santa Barbara, but while you were experiencing your inferno, there wer 3 separate one's going on in the forest, Sylmar & Anaheim Hills. I had ash covering my truck 4 days in a row.

It seems 3 - 5 times a year we have these fires. The wind & humidity make the conditions perfect. And at least half of them seem to be due to Arsonists. But whats going on in Australia seems like a whole other level of bad.
            Last edited by devstorm; 02-09-2009, 07:00 PM.
            The best blueberry muffins I ever had landed 6 people in prison, three for life.

Comment

Fuck. Stuff like this is terrible. I don't get why people do this kind of thing. Nothing like this has ever ha[[ened to anywhere near me (well, there was the Halifax explosion), and I hope it never does. Of course, I doubt that someone would o something like that here, with the small population thatt here is... I live NEXT to a town with less then 5000 people.
              "i'm 12 and i love dark sabboth"

Comment

Originally posted by devstorm View Post
                Wasn't that Arson as well?
                The official announcement was "the cause of the fire was human related" which doesn't say whether it was accidentally or intentionally set.

The big fire we had in 2007 that burned 250,000 acres (but no homes) and lasted all summer was set by some workers (welders, I think) who made a spark and lost control of the fire. Accidents happen. When arsonists set fires they should get life in prison if convicted, whether people die or not. It's a dispicable crime. These people don't deserve to live freely in society.
                How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them.
                --Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by WarningRules View Post
                  Fuck. Stuff like this is terrible. I don't get why people do this kind of thing.
                  They do it because they're shitheads, pure and simple.

I hope that the Australian cops get their hands on this lot and throw the proverbial book at them, and not coddle them the way violent criminals too often are here in the U.S.

Comment

I spent most of today touring and properly seeing several of the worst affected areas in Victoria, and also NSW. I was right in the thick of the horrific scenes of gutted homes, smouldering fires, and of course, grieving, inconsolable families. It's all really just sinking into my own shaken senses now that I'm back home again thinking of all the stuff I just saw and heard today. The official death toll stands at just under 200, hundreds more hurt and ailing, 1000+ homes destroyed, 5000+ families left homeless and it's altogether utterly dire and bleak, and without a doubt, an unprecedented disaster.

Mercifully, though, the temperatures have come down considerably since yesterday; the near-gale force winds that had fanned the towering flames for the past few days now much weakened and steadily subsiding, and indeed, most of the fires now rapidly being tamed. The situation currently, as of today, is definitely towards 'natural' resolution. The rehabilitation of homes and families is the top priority, no question. I'm determined to give it my all to help my fellow suffering Aussies.

Originally posted by Franklin
                    My best wishes to those people who live in the burned out areas and to the firefighters who work so hard to put the fires out. We had a serious fire here in Santa Barbara this November where about 200 houses were lost but, miraculously, nobody was killed. As bad as the fire was for locals, the devastation pales in comparison to what is going on in Australia

Franklin, mate, all of us down under in Oz need the heartfelt wishes and prayers of our own compatriots, at home and abroad, and equally that of compassionate foreigners like yourself. Thanks for the kind, sincere thoughts. Much appreciated, mate.

However, lemme shock you by telling you a ghastly truth, i.e. while a mighty majority of the 'firefighters' risking their own lives, doing their best to courageously combat the savage fires and rescue hapless survivors, there's a bunch among these 'heroic' firefighters that are actually 'arsonists' themselves and now enthusiastically jumping into the firefighting missions in a cunning ploy to cover their tracks. A few have been nabbed already by the police, and guess what? Apart from obviously trying to cleverly melt into the brave and honourable hordes of men fighting fires and saving lives, and hoping to cover up their own craven crimes, some of these arrested scums have been on record as saying that deliberately 'lighting fires' and then 'heroically' 'fighting' to stop them gives them a 'massive adrenaline rush' and an 'addiction' giving 'highs' they can't kick ...Can you imagine the outrageousness of that mentality?

In America, you have the dreaded 'hurricane season' that causes so much havoc on homes and families and livelihoods. And I'm aware of the outbreaks of deadly, destructive fires in your country. How I wish, we somehow at least got away with minimal 'human' casualties, if not of fixed, indefensible 'property'. Australia, by the nature and destiny of its geography, soils and climate is anyway the continent/country/island that's always been THE MOST vulnerable to chronic, raging fires, and our history is ample witness to that. But, this latest conflagration has no precedent, whatsoever. It far surpasses the two other stand-out similar firestorms in Australia, Ash Wednesday of '83 and Black Friday of '39.....Apart from human negligence and stupidity, or the deliberate acts of arsonists, and severe summer 'heat waves', CLIMATE CHANGE, overall, is being blamed for a lot of the aberrant phenomena striking as disasters around the world. Forecasts for the near future are starkly frightening. Also, the conventional advice to families to either "leave their homes early" or stay on to "fight the flames" has proved to be fatally flawed. Time to help the survivors, above all else, at the moment.

Originally posted by DiosSword
                    I hope that the Australian cops get their hands on this lot and throw the proverbial book at them, and not coddle them the way violent criminals too often are here in the U.S.
                    DS, you most likely have your wish fulfilled. Here's what--among many other people in government---the NSW premier, Nathan Rees, had to say on Saturday: "Arsonists ought to face a maximum of 25 years in jail. We will throw the book at you if you're caught. This isn't fun, this isn't clever, this is a disgusting crime that is responsible for killing scores of innocent people"...And prime minister Rudd, of course, correctly dubbed it "mass murder" that will brook "no mercy" from the government and due process of the law of our land.
                    "Actors really are the scum of the earth. Their behavior makes arrogant, overpaid rock stars appear positively noble' - Buzz Osborne

Comment

To our Aussie friends, my most sincere wishes for the safety of you and your families go out. Having experienced firestorm (1998) I know that it is a truly unsettling time for all of you. I certainly hope that the authorities are able to track down the morons that are responsible for what nature didn't do.
                      Is it just me, or does somebody else believe it?
                      I'm not alone, and I'm not afraid.
                      There's just one thing to say, after all.

Comment

I've been following this in the news and on the net.

I'm usually pretty jaded about human nature, but why someone would set their own country on fire just for kicks, and end up killing innocent people, is beyond me.

I can't imagine what it must have been like for those poor souls being so panicked that they were driving their cars into lakes and rivers trying to get away from the flames.

When the judge brings the gavel down at sentencing (including hard labour cleaning up what they did), it should be right across these dickheads' skulls.

However, I've also been reading some very heartening stories of Australians pulling together to help one another get through this shit.
                        Last edited by DiosSword; 02-11-2009, 08:13 AM.

Comment

My spirit is with you there, brothers. I hold Australia in REALLY high respect, shame that fire happened to such a beautiful country and lovely people.
                          Can't you see what I see
                          You and I victims of Their word
                          As the master of power
                          Try to poison our world
                          ----- Eternal Idol ~ 1987

Comment

Fuck. Way to find out about this late. :(

I hope things are fine for you, RLP, and for other Australians. I hope whatever shitheads that started these things get what's coming to them.

Comment

Thanks Butt and Ray, for your thoughts of concern and words of solidarity. Ray, it's cool to hear about your own particular high regard for Australia and its people. And Butt, don't you worry about me. I'm freakin' fortunate that my state, city, indeed (our) own four big homes, have not had to face these firestorms.

Gosh, just yesterday, I read about a young woman called Alison McDonald, from a devastated town, Flowerdale, say (I'm quoting her here) "My house is still standing, I can't believe it, and I feel embarrassed. I have a huge sense of guilt. Why me? When everybody else has lost everything. I just wish it had gone. I feel awful". Really touching compassion and sense of community, right there, from just one average aussie. And DiosSword was spot-on, earlier, when he talked of how all Australians seem to have 'pulled together' at this time of national tragedy. You can bet that those evil scums responsible for many of the fires, will have to reckon with the law and the consequences of their vile crimes. The bad news is that, just when everything was starting to get under control, there are reports of a few 'fresh' arson incidents, in some places. I'm counting on the local and federal authorities to stamp out further arson attacks and swiftly start to bring everything under control.
                              Last edited by RLP4ever; 02-12-2009, 11:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X