Announcement

Collapse

Logins with New Software

If you are having problems staying logged in since the Jan 15 change to the new version of vBulletin, please go to your browser's configuration area, and delete the cookies for this website, and reboot your browser.

-- Joe
See more
See less

Album of the year 2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Death Magnetic is 2008 (I'll take Load & Re-Load anyday )
    The dog's name is Pete. If he tries to mount you in the middle of the night, say "no" sternly. But don't look him in the eye.

Comment

Originally posted by David86 View Post
      Death Magnetic is 2008 (I'll take Load & Re-Load anyday )
      Yikes...it's been out that long?? Holy s**t. Well lets scratch that one and I will definately say Endgame by Megadeth. Now that is a great cd

Comment

In no order except the first 3 (Studio Only):

1) Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know
        2) Candlemass - Deat Magic Doom (Rob Lowe )
        3) Sepultura - A-Lex (Development from Dante + Clockwrok Orange Novel = )

Wino - Punctuated Equilibrium
        The Answer - Everyday Daemons
        WASP - Babylon
        My Dying Bride - For Lies I Sire
        Ripper Owens - Play My Game
        Them Crooked Vultures - Them Crooked Vultures (Dave Grohls drumming is surprisingly )
        Megadeth - Endgame
        Slayer - World Painted Blood
        Rammstein - Liebe Ist Fur Alle Da
        Joe Bonamassa - Ballad Of John Henry

Live -
        1) Iron Maiden - Flight 666
        2) Blaze Bayley - The Night That Would Not Die Live
        3) Judas Priest - A Touch Of Evil Live
        "But that is not the question. Why are we here, that is the question. And we are blessed in this, that we happen to know the answer. Yes, in this immense confusion one thing alone is clear. We are waiting for Godot to come."
        - Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

“Music does not influence research work, but both are nourished by the same sort of longing, and they complement each other in the release they offer.”
        —Albert Einstein --- To Paul Plaut, October 23, 1928. AEA 28–065

I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.
        Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

I could be wrong, but I don't see where anyone mentioned Lamb of God--Wrath. I TOTALLY forgot about it somehow, it is a 2009 release and could be a contender. (Though I think Slayer has 'em beat)

And though I've already said I think Slayer has it all wrapped up, that was before I bought Nile--Those whom the gods detest. That could be the one--maybe.
          And if the sun never shined on us, the night time has fruit of the vine High on Fire-Brother in the Wind

Comment

Originally posted by danmac View Post
            And though I've already said I think Slayer has it all wrapped up, that was before I bought Nile--Those whom the gods detest. That could be the one--maybe.
            I like your comment. Nile's new album is dangerously fierce and powerful. It may well take this year's throne of death metal and extreme metal in general, even above Hypocrisy's raging new album...Asphyx is a seriously heavy slab of truest Asphyx with Martin back on board, but musically Nile and Hypocrisy rise above it...

Paradise Lost reigns the world of melodic metal, rising just above the almost equally excellent new albums of Swallow The Sun and Amorphis...

Heaven & Hell has taken the #1 spot in old school heavy metal - it probably happened on the day of release already...

For me the main thing is that this year has been a one big celebration of great new releases from many bands I follow and admire!

"He is the King of all kings, the keeper of light...He holds eternity's wings"

Comment

This has been a good thread. I have spent considerable time listening to many of these albums on youtube. Many are now on my buy list, though I need to get past Christmas before investing in any new CDs.
              How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them.
              --Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Seems there is no KISS ARMY in here hahaha,,anyway for me it's Them Crooked Vultures and Children Of Bodom!
                Last edited by Purgatory; 12-12-2009, 09:34 PM.
                Where I was,I had wings that couldn't fly
                Where I was,I had tears I couldn't cry
                My emotions,Frozen in an icy lake
                I couldn't feel them,Until the ice began to break
                Bruce Dickinson-Tears Of The Dragon

Comment

I listened to the Children of Bodom on youtube yesterday (about 4 songs) and liked it. Ya' hear me, The Butt? Are you surprised?
                  How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them.
                  --Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Purgatory View Post
                    Seems there is no KISS ARMY in here hahaha,,anyway for me it's Them Crooked Vultures and Children Of Bodom!
                    I like KISS. Sonic Boom is a decent album. I like it well enough, just not ranking up there for best of 2009. Still holding that honor IMO is AIC, Black Gives Way To Blue.
                    "I can honestly say it’s truly been an honor to play at his side for all these years, his music will live on forever." ~ Tony Iommi (Speaking of Ronnie James Dio)

Comment

Originally posted by Franklin View Post
                      I listened to the Children of Bodom on youtube yesterday (about 4 songs) and liked it. Ya' hear me, The Butt? Are you surprised?
                      I am. That fills me with a kind of joy, man.

May I ask which songs? I think the latest that Purgatory was referring to, was the cover album (Skeletons in the Closet). If he's not referring to that, it was Blooddrunk, which, while not 2009, was a fantastic full-length in it's own right.

Comment

I clicked on Dethcrush666's playlist that started with Hell is for Children. I didn't pay so much attention to what songs followed or exactly how many I listened to. I am a chronic multitasker and was probably doing a dozen other things while listening.
                        --Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Decent. So it was off the cover album then, Skeletons in the Closet.

If you liked the covers I'd advise you to check out the full album... and work backwards in the discography from there if you continue liking it.

Comment

Alice in Chains - Black Gives Way to Blue

William DuVall fits in with the band very well and it still sounds like the AIC we all love. Not a bad song on the album, many good ones.
                            If you tried to give Heavy Metal another name, you might call it "Tony Iommi."

Comment

The Devil You Know - Heaven and Hell (say no more!)

Death Magnetic - Metallica (welcome return to form, though it may have actually been '08)

This Is Thirteen - Anvil (an old favourite band resurrected)
                              He is not here. He has risen!

Comment

I have another 2009 recommendation that I don't think has been mentioned yet:

Riverside - Anno Domini High Definition
                                --Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                                X