Announcement

Collapse

Logins with New Software

If you are having problems staying logged in since the Jan 15 change to the new version of vBulletin, please go to your browser's configuration area, and delete the cookies for this website, and reboot your browser.

-- Joe
See more
See less

Album of the year 2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Album of the year 2009

I'm not the first one to actually compare or choose between albums and I know it's still one and a half months until the end of this year, but I would like to present my (collected) candidates anyway. It's been one helluva year of great albums from great bands, it's pretty unbelievable to have these great 2009 releases in my collection:

Amorphis Skyforger
    Asphyx Death...The Brutal Way CD/DVD
    Carcass Wake Up And Smell The Carcass CD/DVD
    Hail Of Bullets Warsaw Rising MCD
    HammerFall No Sacrifice, No Victory
    Heaven And Hell The Devil You Know
    Hypocrisy A Taste Of Extreme Divinity
    Judas Priest A Touch Of Evil Live
    Karl Sanders Saurian Exorcisms
    Nile Those Whom The Gods Detest
    Paradise Lost Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us
    Sapattivuosi Ihmisen Merkki
    Saxon Into The Labyrinth CD+DVD
    Spiritus Mortis The God Behind The God
    Swallow The Sun New Moon
    Thanatos Justified Genocide
    Tim Ripper Owens Play My Game
    U.D.O. Dominator
    U.D.O. Infected limited edition EP
    Vader Necropolis
    W.A.S.P. Babylon

I still can't name my ultimate favourite of this year, maybe I will find my own answer from some of the most memorable ones...

All I know for sure is that 2009 has given us a huge bunch of great albums. Hell, I could easily initiate a whole theme that would surely last a month with only these albums on my list...
    "He is the King of all kings, the keeper of light...He holds eternity's wings"

Heaven and Hell - The Devil You Know

That's about it for me.
    "i'm 12 and i love dark sabboth"

Comment

Obscura - Cosmogenesis (absolute best of the year)
      Children of Bodom - Skeletons in the Closet
      Arckanum -

Comment

1. Lynyrd Skynyrd God & Guns
        2. Kittie In The Black
        3. Blackfoot Live In Texas 1976 (Japan only release)
        4. Barlowgirl Love & War
        5. Heaven & Hell The Devil You Know
        Pain and Poison Roses

Comment

1. Iron Man - I Have Returned
          It was a tough choice between this and The Devil You Know as number 1, but in the end I had to give it to Iron Man. Great songs, great musicianship, fantastic heavy production in which all the instruments are audible, and great vocals from singer Joe Donnelly (also of Black Sabbath coverband Sabbra Cadabra). Hell this is probably the best rock'n roll album of this decade as far as I'm concerned.
          http://www.last.fm/user/sirkenneth

http://xkcd.com/386/

Comment

Wow, this is a tidal wave of a thread----where do I begin?....this year's been THAT good to me, in terms of outstanding album releases I've bought and loved.

There's been loads of such excellent albums I've bought in the year, so far---though I'd rather announce the 'best of 2009' on New Year's Day, instead. That's because I'm still awaiting the imminent release of 2-3 new albums by bands I love. Anyway, upto this day, my absolute favourite albums of 2009 have been:

Time Waits For No Slave~NAPALM DEATH
            Evisceration Plague~CANNIBAL CORPSE
            Axe to Fall~CONVERGE
            Descend into Depravity~DYING FETUS
            Lust in Space~GWAR
            World Painted Blood~SLAYER
            Black Gives Way to Blue~ALICE IN CHAINS
            Those Whom the Gods Detest~NILE
            Ressurection Macabre~PESTILENCE

....And there are several more albums by death metal veterans like Suffocation-Behemoth-Vader etc....and a bunch of quality grind and hardcore releases that I have also enjoyed, though they belong on my B-list of favourites.

Okay, this is honesty impossible to call, but I'll give my album of the year award to :-

Time Waits For No Slave~Napalm Death
            "Actors really are the scum of the earth. Their behavior makes arrogant, overpaid rock stars appear positively noble' - Buzz Osborne

Comment

Crack the Skye - Mastodon
              Wrath - Lamb of God
              Endgame - Megadeth
              The Devil You Know - Heaven and Hell
              http://wickedinquisition.bandcamp.com/

Comment

Heaven and Hell - The Devil You Know
                Neko Case - Middle Cyclone

Certainly not the best albums they have released in their histories, but they are the best of 2009.

Comment

Heaven and Hell
                  Megadeth

Both did well with this year's new ones

Comment

As many of you may recall, I have been somewhat removed from the music scene for many years. Thus when I say I bought four new releases in 2009, I would have to go back to at least 1986 to find a year in which I bought so many new releases. I am feeling triumphant about my return to the music world. Yet I know my tally pales in comparison to many of our companion music fanatics.

Anyway, my new releases were Heaven & Hell The Devil You Know, Candlemass Death Magic Doom, The Answer Everyday Demons and Chickenfoot's self titled debut. I like all of them, but my favorite has been the Candlemass.

I am surprised to not see the Candlemass mentioned yet in this thread. I highly recommend this album.
                    How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them.
                    --Benjamin Franklin

Comment

My Top 2009 Albums List:

Black Sabbath (yeah I know.) - The Devil You Know
                      Alice In Chains - Black Gives Way To Blue
                      Megadeth - Endgame
                      Slayer - World Painted Blood
                      "Even with so much bad blood between us... It's funny... Now that I'm actually face to face with him again... The hatred is gone. All I feel is a deep sense of longing. And pity. Did Zero really hate me? Or... Did he fear me?" - Big Boss

Comment

I'm really surprised as I look through my collection to see only a handful of actual 2009 releases, though I purchased quite a few CDs this year, most were from years past.

And though I would like to promote TDYK to album of the year, in all honesty I think it falls short of that title. If you had told me I would say this earlier in the year, I wouldn't have believed it.

Franklin, You are correct, Candlemass--Death, Magic, Doom should be at least a candidate. A fine album, better than the Messiah stuff that I have.

Edtrader--I'm surprised to see Synyrd's new one in your list. I've been thinking about picking than one up one day, maybe I'll move it up on the list a bit, you've got me curious.
                        The Blackfoot pick intrigues me as well.

But my vote goes to Slayer--World Painted Blood. And I don't foresee any new albums coming out in the next 45 days that will knock it off its pedestal.
                        And if the sun never shined on us, the night time has fruit of the vine High on Fire-Brother in the Wind

Comment

So far...

Chickenfoot - Chickenfoot
                          Dead Weather - Horehound
                          Spinerette - Spinerette
                          Black Crowes - Before The Frost... Until The Freeze
                          Alice in Chains - Black Gives Way To Blue
                          Prince - Lotusflow3r
                          Mark Olson & Gary Louris - Ready For The Flood

and I have very high hopes for both

Them Crooked Vultures - which I have already but haven't lived with long enough yet
                          Powderfinger - Golden Rule
                          Last edited by devilmaycare; 11-11-2009, 03:08 PM. Reason: because Franklin's a smartass :)

Comment

Technically, the Parlor Mob doesn't count because it is a 2008 release, but it is also another one I bought this year at your recommendation. And it's good.
                            How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them.
                            --Benjamin Franklin

Comment

you're right... my iTunes had it listed as 2009... I took it out.

Comment

Working...
                              X