Announcement

Collapse

Logins with New Software

If you are having problems staying logged in since the Jan 15 change to the new version of vBulletin, please go to your browser's configuration area, and delete the cookies for this website, and reboot your browser.

-- Joe
See more
See less

Metal horns in the 70s?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metal horns in the 70s?

As I know, the metal horns was popularized by Dio in the early 80s. Throwing horns now have become an icon of heavy metal.
    But when I was watching the Black Sabbath's live video in 1975's Rock Concert TV show, I saw someone throwing horns shortly after Tony finished the solo of Killing Yourself To Live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jt9uEqMGsyc
    Last edited by LouiST; 08-26-2018, 12:25 PM.
    Do you hear the thunder raging in the sky?
    Premonition of a shattered world thatís gonna die.
    In the age of reason, how do we survive?
    The protocols of evil ravaging so many lives?

Ronnie James Dio was in Rainbow around that time, so it may have caught on when Dio flashed them a couple of times. It wasn't until Black Sabbath the sign became popular.
    "Even with so much bad blood between us... It's funny... Now that I'm actually face to face with him again... The hatred is gone. All I feel is a deep sense of longing. And pity. Did Zero really hate me? Or... Did he fear me?" - Big Boss

Comment

I've seen photos of Bobby Liebling from Pentagram flashing the horns that date to the early to mid 70's. I think many people were doing it and Dio made it popular.
      http://wickedinquisition.bandcamp.com/

Comment

Originally posted by 8bit Fighter View Post
        Ronnie James Dio was in Rainbow around that time, so it may have caught on when Dio flashed them a couple of times. It wasn't until Black Sabbath the sign became popular.
        I've never seen pictures of Dio doing that in Rainbow.

I think he came up with that when he joined Sabbath as a counterpart to Ozzy's "peace" signs.

Gene Simmons did a very rough counterpart to that back in the '70s, but it was more like Spider-Man's hands when he'd shoot his webs.
        He is not here. He has risen!

Comment

Theres a difference between what Simmons did as opposed to Dio. Simmons was essentially flashing "love". The horns with the thumb extended to the side is sign language for love. However I'm sure people have been doing the horns forever, just not in the context. Dio got it from his grandmother.
          "I don't care which god you follow, whose promises you swallow" - Ronnie James Dio
          http://www.reverbnation.com/breakingintoheaven?#!
          http://www.facebook.com/pages/Breaki...916616&ref=sgm

Comment

Don't recall the 'Horns' gesture @ 70's gigs, more like the two fingered 'Peace' gesture...

Comment

The horns has been flashed by Italians for centuries. It is supposed to ward off evil.
              "I've seen the future and I've left it behind"

Comment

yes... but why would people do that in Metal concerts ? (while they still didn't see any rock star doing it)...

Comment

There are some pictures of Ronnie doing the horns while he was in Rainbow...I have to go through my picture archive and see if I'll find some.

This is an old sign, but Ronnie made it famous and part of the metal culture.

Comment

Jinx Dawson from Coven was doing the Devil horns before Dio and Gene, probably one of the first.
                    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
                    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
                    ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Comment

Originally posted by Deuce Frehley View Post
                      The horns has been flashed by Italians for centuries. It is supposed to ward off evil.
                      I think Southern Europeans in general.
                      "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
                      "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
                        Jinx Dawson from Coven was doing the Devil horns before Dio and Gene, probably one of the first.
                        Ah, hell. The link I posted is dead

What you said is true, though I still think it works best when it comes to Black Sabbath and Dio.
                        Do you hear the thunder raging in the sky?
                        Premonition of a shattered world thatís gonna die.
                        In the age of reason, how do we survive?
                        The protocols of evil ravaging so many lives?

Comment

Originally posted by LouiST View Post
                          Ah, hell. The link I posted is dead

What you said is true, though I still think it works best when it comes to Black Sabbath and Dio.
                          So do I LoiuST.

Comment

Working...
                          X