Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

D'oh!/Doy/Duh Moments (Mistakes you've made or things you've only just now realized)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D'oh!/Doy/Duh Moments (Mistakes you've made or things you've only just now realized)

Ever have one of those moments where you do something really silly ("D'oh!"- a la Homer Simpson) or only just realize something now that should have been obvious (Doy/Duh)? If so, share it here.

I've started this thread because I just had one of those moments.

For years, I've always heard the lyrics to "Lord of this World" as "he's a professor", which is in fitting with my understanding of The Devil, especially if you've ever read the story of Dr. Faust. And also because The Devil professes things.

Well, I was looking at the lyrics to Lord of this World on this website just now, and I realized that the lyrics actually say the phrase "evil possessor", which makes a lot more sense in the context of the rest of the lyrics.

Doy...

(That said, for years, I thought that the words to "Nothing Else Matters" went "Never careful what they say", and not "Never cared for what they say").
    Do you want to encourage the Sabb Four to release a studio, demo, or official live version of "Scary Dreams" (the thus far unreleased song they debuted/performed live during their 2001 Ozzfest tour)? If so, consider becoming a fan of Scary Dreams on facebook by clicking the below link:

https://www.facebook.com/blacksabbathscarydreams

for decades I heard

and when you walk in golden halls
    you get the key to golden falls

I only realised the mistake 3 or 4 years ago!
    Last edited by nunoni; 07-28-2011, 06:54 AM.

Comment

There is a website -- kissthisguy dot com -- that specializes in mangled song lyrics. You may find this sort of thing informative or entertaining.
      How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them.
      --Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Nero View Post
        For years, I've always heard the lyrics to "Lord of this World" as "he's a professor"
        Originally posted by nunoni View Post
        for decades I heard

...and when you walk in golden halls
        you get the key to golden halls...

I only realized the mistake 3 or 4 years ago!

Those are priceless!

Here's one I misheard for years on Tomorrow's dream:

"I'll just go back to pretending I'm living,
        But this time I'm gonna have to stop fart".

Or the ever popular one from Paranoid:

"Can you help me?
        Aren't you for my brain, oh yeah".

Originally posted by Franklin View Post
        There is a website -- kissthisguy dot com -- that specializes in mangled song lyrics. You may find this sort of thing informative or entertaining.
        That place is hilarious! I couldn't help but laugh when I saw the one for War Pigs:

"Treating people just like folding chairs".

Back when my band used to do War Pigs, the singer would always get the lyrics mixed up and sing:

"Treating people just for fun".

He'd also mix up lyrics for the Kinks tune, "Where have all the good times gone":

"Daddy didn't need no little boys,
        Mommy didn't need no little toys".
        Last edited by Axe fiend; 07-27-2011, 07:33 PM.
        We dont see things as they are; we see them as we are.

Comment

Neon Knights

"Can't Rememer When" < "Jack Be Nimble When"

Never Say Die

"Snow White Parasite" < "Snow White, Mirror Said"
          "Even with so much bad blood between us... It's funny... Now that I'm actually face to face with him again... The hatred is gone. All I feel is a deep sense of longing. And pity. Did Zero really hate me? Or... Did he fear me?" - Big Boss

Comment

The "official" term for misheard lyrics are Mondogreens, from some mideval tune that goes "and laid em on the green" that was often misheard as "and Lady Mondogreen".

I think that Ozzy did this with the song Warning. The original, by Aynsley Dunsbar, says "I was warned about you baby" (thus the name of the song) but Ozzy sings "I was born without you baby." Not as hilarious as the ones y'all have listed here. The "treating people just like Folding Chairs" is priceless! Hey, I also heard the "stop fart" line in Tomorrow's Dream, knew it must have been wrong but had no idea what was right.

When I was a youngin, I thought the line "And my kids, they just don't understand me at all" from 2000 Man was "don't understand Dee at all." I was only 3 though.

EDIT: Mondegreens, not Mondogreens. D'oh/Doy/Duh!
            Last edited by Monster Boy; 07-28-2011, 02:16 AM.

Comment

I've had lots of Mondegreens (am I using the term correctly?) over the years, but funnily enough I can't recall most of them now that I should

But for some reason while I was just getting into Sabbath and listened to Neon Knights a lot, I at first though the chorus' lyrics were "Dead and Again/Dead and Again"

And just recently I found out that the lyrics on the first verse of Massacre by Thin Lizzy are "We're killed like sleeping Buffalo" not "Killed that Sleeping Buffalo".
              "The consequence of conscience/Is that you'll be left somewhere/Swinging in the air"-Ronnie James Dio (1942-2010) R.I.P. King Of Metal
              "Just take a look around you what do you see/Pain, suffering, and misery/It's not the way that the world was planned/It's a pity you don't understand" - Geezer Butler
              "If god is in heaven/How can this happen here" - Phil Lynott (1949-1986)

Comment

Originally posted by Franklin View Post
                Funny, I just referenced The Beatles' Get Back and realized another one that I'd always gotten wrong.

The lyric to Get Back goes

"Jo Jo was a man who thought he was a loner"

but I'd always heard it as

"Jo Jo was a man who thought he was a woman"

It's funny, on a side note, I used to work under this arch-neoconservative dick who had spent the last 40+ years hating Hendrix solely because he thought that Purple Haze promoted the "insidious Homosexual Agenda" with the lyrics "excuse me while I kiss this guy".

In fact, he announced on more than one occasion that he'd declined the opportunity to see Hendrix at both Woodstock and The Isle of White because of Hendrix's support for the "sodomic perversion of our society".

You should have seen the look on his face when I told him that the lyrics are actually "excuse me while I kiss the sky".
                Last edited by Nero; 07-29-2011, 08:00 AM.
                Do you want to encourage the Sabb Four to release a studio, demo, or official live version of "Scary Dreams" (the thus far unreleased song they debuted/performed live during their 2001 Ozzfest tour)? If so, consider becoming a fan of Scary Dreams on facebook by clicking the below link:

https://www.facebook.com/blacksabbathscarydreams

Comment

There's a Hawkwind song called Treadmill which I first heard about 3 years ago. The first line of the song is

"I'm so distant and so cold".

Until a few weeks ago I was hearing

"I'm so pissed and I'm so cold"

I found out when reading this review of the song

Treadmill could not be more different, being one of the three best Hawkwind tracks of the 1980's. Starting out with a bass / drums / synth rhythm, some throaty lead guitar opens the song up, and then Alan Davey shapes a brilliant melodic bassline with that Rickenbacker growl still to the fore - and Simon House reminds us that he's still the best musician Hawkwind have ever had, with some fabulous violin texture. The opening line of the vocals is "I'm so distant and so cold" but I always think it sounds like "I'm so pissed and I'm so cold", as if the Captain had been out at the boozer in the middle of winter and missed the last bus home. (It happens to the best of us...) The lyrcis are actually a blend of the dystopian and the humanistic, sort of a lament on the subject of modern life, I suspect. But after about two and a half minutes, an instrumental middle section with an excellent violin solo comes along, slowly gathering pace as it does so. I have a slight gripe with one aspect of the arrangement here, and that is the way that Alan Davey plays in double time, playing each note of the riff twice where it would have sounded better with one sustained note in my humble opinion - but he's the bass player, not me. A final verse is immediately followed (at just past the 5 minute mark) by one of the best slow codas Hawkwind have ever come up with, this time with Harvey Bainbridge taking the lead with some beautiful melodic synth parts - the guitar eases its' way into the picture with some mellow riffing, and then the bass and drums pick up to really power the last few bars before the fade-out. Awesome!
                  >>TECHNICINS F SPCE
                  SHIP ERTH THIS IS
                  YR CPTIN SPEKING
                  YR PTIN IS DEA˝D<<

Comment

Not a "doh" moment, but in relation to mangled lyrics you should watch this, especially if you're a Pantera fan...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzL-J7Co9z8

Laughed my ass off when I first watched this...
                    "He is the King of all kings, the keeper of light...He holds eternity's wings"

Comment

For a while, I thought the line in Heaven & Hell was "The closer you get to the meaning/The sooner you know that you're grieving," rather than "The sooner you know that you're dreaming." Both make sense, but now that I listen to it, it's really obvious.
                      "The lover of life's not a sinner
                      The ending is just a beginner
                      The closer you get to the meaning
                      The sooner you know that you're dreaming..."

RIP Ronnie James Dio

Comment

for many years, up until around 2 years ago I always thought a couple of lyric lines in Iron Man where.

"can he walk and talk or if he moves will he fall"

"Icy thoughts within his head"
                        "I don't care which god you follow, whose promises you swallow" - Ronnie James Dio
                        http://www.reverbnation.com/breakingintoheaven?#!
                        http://www.facebook.com/pages/Breaki...916616&ref=sgm

Comment

Originally posted by Nero View Post
                          It's funny, on a side note, I used to work under this arch-neoconservative dick who had spent the last 40+ years hating Hendrix solely because he thought that Purple Haze promoted the "insidious Homosexual Agenda" with the lyrics "excuse me while I kiss this guy".

In fact, he announced on more than one occasion that he'd declined the opportunity to see Hendrix at both Woodstock and The Isle of White because of Hendrix's support for the "sodomic perversion of our society".

You should have seen the look on his face when I told him that the lyrics are actually "excuse me while I kiss the sky".
                          I LOVE THIS !!!!
                          Tony Iommi Fact #216: In fact, most demolition companies dont use explosives to collapse buildings, only a good stereo and a copy of Dehumanizer.
                          "Black Sabbath : la Bte venue de Birmingham"

Comment

Till very recently i tought that "Satans coming round the bed".
                            Still I wonder what its like to be loved, instead of hiding in myself...

Comment

Manfred Mann, "Blinded By The Light" -

"Wrapped up like a douche, he's a runner in the night."

KISS, "I Stole Your Love" -

"How does it feel now I'm feelin' your tits-tits-tits" (with echo) just before chorus
                              He is not here. He has risen!

Comment

Working...
                              X