No announcement yet.

Album cover affects feel of the album?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Album cover affects feel of the album?

does anyone else feel that like me, a bad album cover can tarnish the feel of a good album, or influence the production feel? might sound a bit crazy, but for example the cartoonish cover of painkiller makes me take the album less seriously, therefore affecting the still great music within. another example is blizzard of ozz. the cover looks dry and whitish, so the production feels dry and plain. another example is vol 4, which feels warm and nice, because of its orange cover. is this the case with anyone else? so please, (tell me people) am i going insane?
    Try your hardest, you'll still be a loser
    The world will still be turning when you're gone

If you're insane then I'm right there with you.

Comment

A poor cover can certainly influence your initial opinions on an album, but I think if the music is good enough it will shine through. Likewise a crap album will still end up on the shelf no matter how good the cover is.

Sabotage has one of the least impressive covers of any album I own, but it's one of my all time favourite albums.

Also, given most of my music is ripped to MP3 format I don't see the covers from pne week to the next anyway.
      Last edited by KiloDeltaCharlie; 10-03-2011, 02:17 AM.
      My name is Lucifer please take my hand.

Comment

I view music/album cover as totally separate aspects of an album. Neither one affects my opinion of the other. It's a great thing when an album I love has a great cover though. But there are albums that I don't like the cover art, (Paranoid, & Vol 4, for example) but I love the albums. There's some album covers that I think are brilliant but can't stand the album itself (Slayer's Diablos in Musica). In many cases the album cover is a work of art that was not ever conceived as an album cover, such as Mob Rules; Greg Hildrbrandt painted that piece in 1970 never intending that to wind up as a Sabbath cover. I understand jacksabbath's point. But I think letting the visual aspect of an album cover affect your perception is selling the music short.

Now I can't say that there's been times Ive passed over an album in a shop because the cover sucked. But at some point Ive gotten a chance to hear the music and turned back and bought the album despite my lack of interest in the cover.
        Last edited by devstorm; 10-02-2011, 11:52 AM.
        The best blueberry muffins I ever had landed 6 people in prison, three for life.

Comment

I absolutely agree that the album cover normally influences how I feel the music, but more in the LP era; CD covers are so small that they lost that influence a little bit.

Then there are some albums that are musically so excellent, that no cover can change that in any direction whatsoever, take devstorm's examples of Paranoid and Vol. 4, they're right on spot. Or (I know I'm alne in this forum with this opinion), two of the most ridiculous covers ever: Manowar's Into Glory Ride and Fighting the World - almost naked body builders with a distinct gay look. The first one is so amazing that the cover can't dent that, the second is so bad that no cover could save it.

Same happens with production; there were a lot of classic metal and thrash bands in the 80s that put out records with appaling sound (some record companies were worse than others!), worse than a lot of demos. Not the worst, but the very raw, almost punkish production of Bonded by Blood, combined with all that baby blue in the cover, meant that, no matter how amazing the record actually is, I always listened to it less often than to, say, Dark Angel's debut, where the production values were also not the best, but the sound was clearer. I discussed this back then with my friends and some of them loved that raw production, but in thrash, I like to listen to every little sound, like in Reigning Blood, where the devastating wall of sound is crystal clear - that's the hallmark of what thrash is, where it differentiates itself from other genres that are similar at the surface.

Comment

Sure...but thankfully for me it's a minor part...Lets take Sabbath for instance...they've had some really really awful covers over the years (Paranoid, Vol 4, Master Of Reality, Techincal Ecstacy, Never Say Die, Eternal Idol, and the biggest piece of shit album covers have ever seen, Sabotage)...and only couple of great ones (Black Sabbath, The Mob Rules and Dehumanizer) and some mediocre ones...If I had just based my opinions on the covers I would have missed out on a lot of great music!

Comment

A cover does not affect the way music on the album gets to me. A bad cover is a bad cover and a bad music is a bad music. They are two separated things for me. But, a bad cover can make me NOT to buy the album if I don't know the band or the music inside. Like, a bad cover totally ruins a random picking for me.
              Can't you see what I see
              You and I victims of Their word
              As the master of power
              Try to poison our world
              ----- Eternal Idol ~ 1987

Comment

The cover never mattered to me at all. Now that I've converted all my CDs to flac and mp3 format I don't even look at the album covers anymore.
                How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them.
                --Benjamin Franklin

Comment

To a certain extent, the artwork can affect how I think of an album.
                  To me, Kill 'Em All sounds red, Ride the Lightning sounds blue, and Master of Puppets sounds brown.
                  Rainbow Rising evokes images of its cover.
                  Albums with really memorable artwork on them "feel" a certain way to me, I just can't hear them without thinking of the cover.

Comment

Originally posted by fondula View Post
                    To a certain extent, the artwork can affect how I think of an album.
                    To me, Kill 'Em All sounds red, Ride the Lightning sounds blue, and Master of Puppets sounds brown.
                    Rainbow Rising evokes images of its cover.
                    Albums with really memorable artwork on them "feel" a certain way to me, I just can't hear them without thinking of the cover.
                    now look at that - to me, Ride the Lightning is Green! I got one of those 1984 misprints from France with green cover

Comment

The Creeping Death cover?

Comment

I've generally been pretty keen on album cover art; there are countless cool ones in my own CD album collection of approximately 1200+ discs. And since I still always buy and listen to all my music on CDs, the cover art is something I always notice and have an opinion on. However, I'd unequivocally say that album cover art---whether cool or crappy--- never had any real influence on how I regard the actual music on the album. There are very many albums I own which have forgettable cover art, but contain fantastic music---and the other way round, as well. So no, album cover art has nearly no effect on how I rate any given album I decide to buy and listen to--and maybe come to love, soon afterwards.
                        Last edited by RLP4ever; 10-09-2011, 09:28 AM.
                        "Actors really are the scum of the earth. Their behavior makes arrogant, overpaid rock stars appear positively noble' - Buzz Osborne

Comment

When I was younger (10 - 13) the LP cover would sometimes determne what I would buy often with lousy results. I think the cover art can alter your perception of the music if you allow it to - I did see this happen quite a few times back when I worked at the record store - some of our customers would not buy an LP if it had a lousy cover - no matter how good the mnusic inside was they would just not give the LP a listen.
                          At least my hair is all mine, My teeth are my own, but everything else is on a permanent loan I'm on a low budget - Ray Davies

Comment

Though there isn't a direct correlation of bad album cover to bad music, there are certain aspects, like color, shapes, lines, that can correspond to the music in my mind. Paranoid has an awful cover, but it does capture the heaviness in a way (the colors), and the goofiness (Iron Man and Fairies Wear Boots are pretty damn goofy lyrically.) The gatefold black and white picture of the band fits the music even better in my mind. But yeah, look beyond the obvious "bad cover, good cover, bad music, good music" thing and you may see some connections. Personally, when I was a youngster I used to gaze at the album covers while listening to the music so images and sounds intermingle when I recall the music. If you are more into mp3s I can see how album artwork has less of an impact for you.

Comment

A good cover sets up a vibe, and makes for a nice package, but is not neccessary for a good listening experience. Because of a last minute title change, the Paranoid album has a cover that is unrelated to the title and is rather silly looking. However, it in no way detracts from the awesomeness of the music within.
                              "I've seen the future and I've left it behind"

Comment

Working...
                              X