Announcement

Collapse

Logins with New Software

If you are having problems staying logged in since the Jan 15 change to the new version of vBulletin, please go to your browser's configuration area, and delete the cookies for this website, and reboot your browser.

-- Joe
See more
See less

Download or CD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DiosSword View Post
    I have a degree in computer science from 1992...and I did not own a computer until I got married in 1999!

I have never downloaded music and have no plans to. I didn't get a CD player until 1991. I still have a few cassettes (no 8-tracks or vinyl outside of some collectibles/autographs), though a lot of them are wearing-out and sounding like they were recorded underwater. I think my oldest one is probably Gary Moore's Wild Frontier, which I bought in Canada (10/Virgin Records) as a new release in 1987. The cassette itself is black...so are several other Canadian issue cassettes I have (Lee Aaron, Metal Queen). Other than that, probably the Def Leppard High 'N Dry with the remixed "Bringin' On The Heartbreak" and "Me And My Wine," which I got sometime in the late '80s.

So, I'm an old troglodyte...and proud of it!

---------- Post added at 01:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:17 PM ----------

That's my dilemma...no brick-and-mortar stores (Best Buy and FYE around here) hardly have anything to speak of, though I have better luck when I go over to Canada and shop at Sunrise Records (even though with the Canadian and American dollars being more or less equal it's not the bargain it used to be). I used to go to Sam The Record Man but they are semi-extinct now. I do occasionally find some good stuff used at FYE, though.

I remember well the days of Musicland, Sam Goody (which I think were the same) and much-missed mom-and-pop record shops.
    I hear ya, man! I miss the days of just going to a record store and getting what you need. We had a Wall To Wall near us when I was a late teen. All my money went to that store buying albums.

Now all we have is Walmart, Target and Best Buy and none of them carry a whole lot.

As far as what I purchased? Nothing! Had to use the 70 for the car and buy new tires! Ah real life always gets in the way!
    "Dumb Ass" Red Foreman That 70's Show

Comment

Originally posted by Totentanz View Post
      Great decision! Sifting through a stack of CDs is a joy - physical products with artwork and notes, feels like an actual collection. A physical music collection is an achievement to be proud of, to nurture and develop, and proudly watch it grow.

Mp3s can go to Hell! Curse you Mp3s! Crappy-format soulless inferior junk.
      I've got to join the bandwagon with RLP, your post really sums up my view perfectly!

It's a different feeling and situation when I listen to cd's versus listening to digital files. When I play music from my computer (most of which is ripped from my cd's though) it works as background music, and I don't pay attention to it in the same way that I do when I blast a cd - or better yet, a vinyl - through the speakers/headphones. When I listen to physical mediums, it has my full, undivided attention. And it's just a whole different experience when you listen to an album as an entity and hold the actual cover in your hands and possibly browse the liner notes.
      "The consequence of conscience/Is that you'll be left somewhere/Swinging in the air"-Ronnie James Dio (1942-2010) R.I.P. King Of Metal
      "Just take a look around you what do you see/Pain, suffering, and misery/It's not the way that the world was planned/It's a pity you don't understand" - Geezer Butler
      "If god is in heaven/How can this happen here" - Phil Lynott (1949-1986)

Comment

I will always buy CD’s or Vinyl only, never MP3’s.
        "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
        "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
        ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Comment

I buy cds. I have full collections of my favourite bands. So i get them to keep that intact. And i am quite old fashioned.

Comment

Originally posted by CraigSabbath View Post
            I buy cds. I have full collections of my favourite bands. So i get them to keep that intact. And i am quite old fashioned.
            There is nothing like holding an album of your favorite artist in your hand and looking at the artwork and reading the liner notes.
            "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
            "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"

Comment

CD---- by a country mile! ...

Comment

Ideally, compact discs of course. Download? Sure, but it has to be lossless. If you get lossy files first, there will be a day when you wanna get lossless audio of the same song/album. That would make lossy downloads a huge waste of time at the end.

Truth is, I can't tell the exact difference between lossy and lossless files, but listening to lossless audio do make me feel better.
                Do you hear the thunder raging in the sky?
                Premonition of a shattered world thatís gonna die.
                In the age of reason, how do we survive?
                The protocols of evil ravaging so many lives?

Comment

I do Cds, LPs and lately I have been downloading stuff on Bandcamp. I love the Bandcamp site and app!

Comment

Honestly I love CDs but they take up so much space. I go for 320kbps MP3. Its not lossless but it sounds the exact same, I'm pretty sure any loss on the files is out of a normal human's range of hearing.
                    Black metal > Whatever you like, sorry. *shrugs*

Comment

I think you should download rather than use cd. Currently there are many download tools as well as conversion. I often use youtubeconverter to download favorite songs from youtube.

Comment

Originally posted by ravenka113 View Post
                        I think you should download rather than use cd. Currently there are many download tools as well as conversion. I often use youtubeconverter to download favorite songs from youtube.
                        I'll only ever purchase physical copies, the YouTube converter sounds good though, I've tried using it but can't figure it out.

Comment

I still buy CD's.

There is a retro-type shop over in Canada that I like that has classic CD's.

Balls to overpriced vinyl now that costs three times what I paid for it back in the '70s/'80s.

Balls to MP3's.

CD's until I die.
                          He is not here. He has risen!

Comment

Originally posted by DiosSword View Post
                            I still buy CD's.

There is a retro-type shop over in Canada that I like that has classic CD's.

Balls to overpriced vinyl now that costs three times what I paid for it back in the '70s/'80s.

Balls to MP3's.

CD's until I die.
                            Same here, I do buy vinyl once in awhile when it's Sabbath.

Comment

Working...
                            X