Announcement

Collapse

Google Ads Question

Hey gang. I just posted something asking about Google Ads on my website. I'd like people's input (and help possibly) on this. Please go over here and have a read:

https://www.black-sabbath.com/vb/for...ads#post645883

--- Joe
See more
See less

Random Thought Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Billy, POTUS wants Norwegians to immigrate to the US, you coming?

Comment

• Originally posted by turch118 View Post
      Hey Billy, POTUS wants Norwegians to immigrate to the US, you coming?
      Get rid of him first, and i'll consider it I've always wanted to spend a couple of years in the U.S. republic, but i want nothing to do with the U.S. empire... As said; i love your culture and your every-day ordinary people, but i fear that the way you view the rest of the world will cause major problems/rifts between us... I'll probably be more comfortable in Canada, which is pretty close to Norway in many ways. The only thing is i hate the cold winters...

Funny thing, though, he've never sounded like a better prez (and that's saying ALOT) than at the press conferance after the Norwegian prime minister had "15 minutes alone" with him. She's a bitch, but in comparison everyone comes off as a reasonable genious.
      Nice way to trick him into talking about the climate by going through the export of Teslas, and he didn't even realize it himself.

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill Scruggs View Post
      well uh being canadian and all kind of helps
      And the points keep flying miles high above the head. It's not about your nationality, but you as a person... You do need help, though, that's true.

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill Scruggs View Post
      north america which is different from america entirely
      Do you really don't see how stupid that sounds?
      Go back and read the whole conversation a handful of times more. If you still don't get it, the problem is yours and i can't help you...
      Last edited by Billy Underdog; 01-13-2018, 04:34 AM.
      95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
      Til įrs ok frišar ok forn sišr

Comment

• Originally posted by Billy Underdog View Post
        Funny enough; this whole thing started with the stupidity of countries who don't follow the metric system and celsius.
        Let me add morons who drive on the wrong side of the road...
        95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!

Comment

I'm old enough that when i was in primary school America was considered one continent, that's what we were taught.
          Well then I have to worry a little bit about Norwegian education system then...as that is completely false. Considering we are the same age and when I was in elementary school I was already taught correctly that North America and South America are different continents.

The Olympic rings design I believe was made up before the facts about the Americas were known, but of this I am not certain right now.

And about the name...America sounds a whole lot shorter than United States Of America so obviously it got shortened in spoken language...just like we call People's Rebublic Of China just China.

Comment

• Well , I don't want to add oil to this raging fire at all but here both can be said.
            When we quote from Americas, North and South, even Central, we speak about sub-continents.
            In the 18th century, we said more AmericaS than America.
            At a nation level , "America" here was often used 20 years ago but in recent years we prefer to speak about the USA (in French in the text) Les States have also arrived in the common language.
            In other hand, When Lemmy writes America or Rammstein Amerika, we exactly all know what they are talking about.
            But, actually guys, we don't give a fuck about all of this , do we ?

The most important is that we all have to mourn the tragic loss of Eddie Clarke .

Comment

• Originally posted by Charger View Post
              And about the name...America sounds a whole lot shorter than United States Of America so obviously it got shortened in spoken language...just like we call People's Rebublic Of China just China.
              There's a HUGE difference between one gathered replublic and a collection of states. Hence i've been referring to the Arab Emirates, which is the only other example (atleast that i can think of) where the name ruins the idea of a gathered nation as opposed to a collection of states. Once again:
              Originally posted by Billy Underdog View Post
              The whole problem is that you couldn't find a real name for your country
              China is a good example, as is Russia, as both also is a collection of states or regions, much like the pre-Napolian Germany was a gathering of countships, but still none of them call themselves "the united whatever of Asia"... Whatever the full name of their respective countries are, they've got the national identity of being Chinese or Russian. U.S.A and the Emirates lacks that one, and have to rely on their respective continent/sub-continent. An Arab is alot more than just a person from the Emirates...

As for the Norwegian educational system, things have happened there too over 25 years, so today they learn the difference between southern and northern America. But the fact that IOC only have 5 rings to represent the 5 continents shows that this certainly wasn't just a Norwegian conception...

And i'm not representing the general Norwegian perception now, more than most Norwegians also call "U.S.A.ians" Americans.
              But the fact that the general Norwegian is just as stupid as the rest of the world doesn't mean i'm wrong...
              U.S.A should find a better name for their country and/or their inhabitants so the word American (northern or southern is irrelevant) can be used in the right context again. Or; would you like me to start calling you European instead of Finn since you're part of the E.U.?

Originally posted by TYR66 View Post
              At a nation level , "America" here was often used 20 years ago but in recent years we prefer to speak about the USA (in French in the text) Les States have also arrived in the common language.
              Nice to see that i and a very few of the intellectuals of the world aren't alone...
              Last edited by Billy Underdog; 01-13-2018, 07:37 AM.

Comment

Or; would you like me to start calling you European instead of Finn since you're part of the E.U.?

That that too is a factual statement as we are part of Europe...just like you are. Nothing wrong with that but it really has absolutely nothing to do with this.

You are just bit too fixated on the fact that you just don't like the name of a country. I am fairly certain Jefferson, Washington and Franklin were all quite happy with the name United States Of America and it did represent the country rather well...still does really. There are states and they are united and at the time majority of european settlers were living in that area of the Americas.

And again geographically the United Arab Emirates makes a whole lot of sense as the name does NOT depict arab people but the fact that they are located on the Arabic Peninsula...

Most countries names mean nothing...they are just words, but some countries do use geographical references...they aren't any worse names than others.

Whatever the full name of their respective countries are, they've got the national identity of being Chinese or Russian. U.S.A and the Emirates lacks that one
                Well not really...thus comes the American...it is just shortened from the country's name. Again if the country would have be called United States Of NORTH America then I would understand your bewilderment because then it would refer that US(N)A would habit the entire continent.

The problem you are having now is that you still think that there is a continent called America...which there is NOT.

And for what it's worth I mostly use the term The US..

Comment

That that too is a factual statement as we are part of Europe...just like you are. Nothing wrong with that but it really has absolutely nothing to do with this.

You are just bit too fixated on the fact that you just don't like the name of a country. I am fairly certain Jefferson, Washington and Franklin were all quite happy with the name United States Of America and it did represent the country rather well...still does really. There are states and they are united and at the time majority of european settlers were living in that area of the Americas.

And again geographically the United Arab Emirates makes a whole lot of sense as the name does NOT depict arab people but the fact that they are located on the Arabic Peninsula...

Most countries names mean nothing...they are just words, but some countries do use geographical references...they aren't any worse names than others.

Well not really...thus comes the American...it is just shortened from the country's name. Again if the country would have be called United States Of NORTH America then I would understand your bewilderment because then it would refer that US(N)A would habit the entire continent.

The problem you are having now is that you still think that there is a continent called America...which there is NOT.

And for what it's worth I mostly use the term The US..
                  Charger, you are a true intellectual, respect to you my dear man!
                  "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
                  "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
                  ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Comment

• Originally posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
                    Charger, you are a true intellectual, respect to you my dear man!
                    Hahah! Thank you... I wouldn't go quite that far though to call myself an intellectual...in fact I believe you are the first person ever to have called me that...

Comment

My question was would you rather be called European over Finnish? Ofcourse we are both European, but i would imagine you prefer that differentiation of nationalities. You wouldn't like to be called a Swede, i imagine?
                      But then we're back to Europe as a continent again, but my point in that question was about the E.U. as a collection of states. So in that context it's invalid to use Norway as an example, as we've been smart enough to stay out of it.

Yeah, when the U.S. nation was gathered the name suited it's purpose, as it was a unification of former European colonies in the area called America (let's just agree to disagree about the continental issue for now to move the conversation forward). But the founding fathers apparently didn't see how it would cause problems as to the national identity for the inhabitants. The fact that a word or a name have been allowed to develop the wrong way for over 200 yrs doesn't mean it's any more right today.

What would you call a person from the Emirates to differentiate him/her from a person from, say, Yemen then?

Comment

Hahah! Thank you... I wouldn't go quite that far though to call myself an intellectual...in fact I believe you are the first person ever to have called me that...
                        You have a lot of good qualities Charger, you are a respectful and well mannered person, qualities very few people have or exhibit nowadays.

I call as I see it.
                        "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
                        "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
                        ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Comment

My question was would you rather be called European over Finnish? Ofcourse we are both European, but i would imagine you prefer that differentiation of nationalities. You wouldn't like to be called a Swede, i imagine?
                          But then we're back to Europe as a continent again, but my point in that question was about the E.U. as a collection of states. So in that context it's invalid to use Norway as an example, as we've been smart enough to stay out of it.

Yeah, when the U.S. nation was gathered the name suited it's purpose, as it was a unification of former European colonies in the area called America (let's just agree to disagree about the continental issue for now to move the conversation forward). But the founding fathers apparently didn't see how it would cause problems as to the national identity for the inhabitants. The fact that a word or a name have been allowed to develop the wrong way for over 200 yrs doesn't mean it's any more right today.

What would you call a person from the Emirates to differentiate him/her from a person from, say, Yemen then?
                          Well EU is very different from USA in everyway...as EU is just a coalition of independed countries, where as USA is just a single country with several states. Huuuuuuge difference. There can be no nationality in the term european.

And well whether the term American is wrong or not is highly subjective really. But from a geographical point of view is isn't wrong or anykind of way derogatory towards people from Canada or Mexico or Brazil.

Also I do not believe that a single mexican or Canadian would ever call themselves Americans. As American has become the national identity of people from USA. And it is not because they think they own the continent it's because it is a logical abbreviation from United States Of America. It is not really an issue of right or wrong. There is no right or wrong in this matter.

I do not know people from the Emirates so I have no idea what they call themselves...

In any case this all comes down to the fact that you don't like the term American Billy and you ofcourse have the right not to, but there really is no issue here beyond that...

We could go around and round with this for ages but frankly I'm exhausted already!

I'll just end with this, you're happy to be called a norwegian, I'm happy (okay well I'm never happy but lets pretend for the sake of making a point) being called a Finn and I most people who live in the USA are happy being called American and in the end that's all that really matters.

Originally posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
                          You have a lot of good qualities Charger, you are a respectful and well mannered person, qualities very few people have or exhibit nowadays.

I call as I see it.
                          Thank you for the kind words...Means a lot to hear something like that as I really don't hear anything of the sort that often at all.

Comment

• You finally touch upon what's been my point all along; the fact that it've just become that way over time because of the name United States of America. Hence i think it's wrong to call people from that country Americans, as even the name itself refers to America being a bigger area than the country itself.
                            It's not that i don't like the term American, it's just that i think it's used wrong. If Mexicans, Canadians, Colombians and Brazilians don't understand that they're Americans because the term has become synonymous with people from the U.S., that just underpins how wrong it've turned out.

Btw, wasn't comparing the U.S. and E.U. in any way other than trying to make a point and ask how you would feel about being called European over Finnish...

O.K., lets put it to rest, once again all of this started with the stupidity of countries who doesn't follow the metric system and celsius anyway.

But let me just end it with: read my damn signature, man
                            Last edited by Billy Underdog; 01-13-2018, 01:24 PM.

Comment

O.K., lets put it to rest, once again all of this started with the stupidity of countries who doesn't follow the metric system and celsius anyway.
                              Lets do so...but once more though Mexicans and Candians aren't Americans...they are NORTH Americans and Brazilian (waxes?) are SOUTH Americans...there's the underlying thing here which you seem to have a hard time grasping now.. *wink wink*

But let me just end it with: read my damn signature, man
                              Hmm...I always sucked on math but I do believe there is something fishy about your math there....

Comment

Lets do so...but once more though Mexicans and Candians aren't Americans...they are NORTH Americans and Brazilian (waxes?) are SOUTH Americans...there's the underlying thing here which you seem to have a hard time grasping now.. *wink wink*
                                Exactly, they're Americans and Americans French aren't any less European just because they're southwestern Europeans, and Swedes any less European because they're northern Europeans (but because they're Swedes )

Comment

Working...
                                X