Random Thought Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Billy Underdog View Post
    And the points keep flying miles high above the head. It's not about your nationality, but you as a person... You do need help, though, that's true.

Do you really don't see how stupid that sounds?
    Go back and read the whole conversation a handful of times more. If you still don't get it, the problem is yours and i can't help you...
    your "points" consist of nothing but ad-hominem and evasion so im not surprised by your typically non-valuable input
    Black metal > Whatever you like, sorry. *shrugs*

Comment

• Originally posted by Buffalo Bill Scruggs View Post
      your "points" consist of nothing but ad-hominem and evasion so im not surprised by your typically non-valuable input
      A very valuable input indeed. By Mr. ad-hominem himself.

And still you keep on replying even though you know noone but OiD cares about your opinion...
      95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
      Til įrs ok frišar ok forn sišr

Comment

And still you keep on replying even though you know noone but OiD cares about your opinion...
        I care about everyone’s opinion Billy, they are all important.
        "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
        "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
        ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Comment

• Let's give up arguing about geography and look at a human Barbie doll (slavic) Valeria Lukianova.
          https://www.gq.com/story/valeria-luk...an-barbie-doll
          One of the worst ruiners of the reputation of doll-lovers in Russia.
          Je morderai et glifflerai tout le monde.

Comment

hey at least im right *shrugs*
            Black metal > Whatever you like, sorry. *shrugs*

Comment

• Howdy, y'all! I'm from TEXAS! That means everyone in the USA not from Texas hates me until I mention California, Illinois, and/or New York City. Then the hate gets transferred to one of those places.

Whenever I'm abroad, I say I'm from Texas and the folks just light up and ask me about cows, horses, and steak. I notice that people nearby announcing themselves as "Americans" usually wind up in arguments with the locals. Those declaring themselves to be "Canadians" are usually doing that so as to avoid being the targets of verbal abuse and/or attacks from people that assumed they were "Americans".

All the more reason to come right out with that Texas declaration. Also, I get mad props from Chileans, since we have very similar flags.

Comment

• Norwegians are supposedly the most gullible people in the world. I'm inclined to believe that...
                95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!

Comment

• Hey, ZZZPTM, I personally like Texas. I considered moving to Texas, but the climate is an issue. Give me snow and cold over 100 degrees and flash floods.

Comment

• it's official: the kiss of the prince given to Sleeping Beauty, the one given to Snow White on her deathbed and the songs of Romeo under the balcony of Juliette are one the way to become official sexual assault in the country.
                    World is going crazy.
                    Last edited by TYR66; 02-04-2018, 06:57 AM.

Comment

Norwegians are supposedly the most gullible people in the world. I'm inclined to believe that...
                      Did you know if you say "gullible" very very slowly, it sounds like "oranges"? It's true, try it!

Comment

• Originally posted by zzzptm View Post
                        Did you know if you say "gullible" very very slowly, it sounds like "oranges"? It's true, try it!
                        Been sitting here trying for three hours now, still can't hear it...

Comment

Been sitting here trying for three hours now, still can't hear it...
                          Say it even more slowly, you might want to have other people listening in, just in case you've developed ear fatigue.

Don't get a Finnish guy, though, he'll go insane from all the racket.

Comment

• Originally posted by TYR66 View Post
                            it's official: the kiss of the prince given to Sleeping Beauty, the one given to Snow White on her deathbed and the songs of Romeo under the balcony of Juliette are one the way to become official sexual assault in the country.
                            World is going crazy.
                            Maybe. Anyway, I would argue that, given the amount of sexual and other kinds of violence that people have been suffering from for at least 1000s of years, and given that the overwhelming majority of cases go unreported, while even the overwhelming majority of the reported cases go unpunished (trust me, I have done research on the topic), the world is already crazy as it is.

Comment

• Billy, I want my hat back.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sabbabbath View Post
                                Maybe. Anyway, I would argue that, given the amount of sexual and other kinds of violence that people have been suffering from for at least 1000s of years, and given that the overwhelming majority of cases go unreported, while even the overwhelming majority of the reported cases go unpunished (trust me, I have done research on the topic), the world is already crazy as it is.
                                Or, put another way, it's better to do research in order to better understand what one doesn't know instead of making straw man arguments.

Given that much of Western gender role stereotyping emerged from an agrarian society in which being able to plow - and being able to have the upper body strength needed to run the plow - meant the difference between life and death for a family, one can understand the primal importance given to men in such environments. All societies with plow-based agriculture have traditional male dominance. Likewise, in societies where there is intense competition for resources, upper body strength to use weaponry again comes to the fore and men take dominant roles. Warlike societies typically go a step further in defining female roles, in some cases treating them no better than animals.

However, in societies with hand-base agriculture, such as is common in Mesoamerican maize cultivation, West African yam cultivation, and Southeast Asian rice cultivation, women are equally adept and capable with regards to agriculture. In those societies, they traditionally enjoyed higher status than what was common in plow-based societies. In many cases, they were equal to men or even took leadership roles. One of the best examples of this is when the Chinese (plow-based patriarchy) invaded Vietnam around 800. The Vietnamese (rice agriculture) resisted the Chinese and their resistance was led by two sisters.

In modern, mechanized societies, the advantages of upper-body strength are minimal. With food production more a matter of pressing buttons and steering tractors, it doesn't matter who's doing those activities. Likewise, most other professions do not require male physical advantages in order to have a measure of success. As an IT professional, my job can be done just as well by a woman with my knowledge and experience as by a man. Thus we see that the historical justifications for male dominance have faded. Once the justifications have faded, the culture based on those justifications fades, as well.

The romances of Sleeping Beauty, Snow White, and Romeo and Juliet, although anachronistic by some standards, are nevertheless to be understood in their historical contexts and, ultimately, appreciated not as exertions of power but as expressions of love. Sexual assault is not about romance or love or even loveless coupling to satisfy natural urges. Sexual assault is a matter of violence and using one's power to subjugate and violate the liberty of another person. That's not the case in the stories referenced. It *is* the case for far too many people who are placed into deeply disturbing situations by those in power over them.

I've had people try to flirt with me or get too close to me because they were interested in a little fling. Those I brush aside and leave them at that. I've also been subject to sexual harassment in which I had a manager who created crisis situations at work that supposedly only I could resolve... and then stayed waaaaaay too close to me as I worked through the night to resolve. When a manager says "Please don't tell anyone I did this or I could get into real trouble" while leaning in and trying to flirt at the same time, that's not romance, that's sexual harassment. That's the abuse of power to demand something not rightfully theirs.

Comment

Working...
                                X