Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sicko FanAtic View Post
    The article was written in 2011

I agree that it makes sense as a businessman to want to keep your slaves. As a human being however...
    My point was that they did not want slavery outlawed becuse of business.
    Not because of some belief in a superior race.
    Nobody I know is gonna take my rock & roll away from me.

Comment

None taken Likewise, I simply prefer historical quotes and facts from history to personal anecdotes by word of mouth from Andy's half cousin's great grandmother. But who knows?
      I applaud your sense of humor. Your comment is a direct contradiction to the article you linked, as this source simply attempts to sell left-wing propaganda and runs editorials under the guise of news articles. Historical revisionists and political activists are never a valid source of actual history.

Comment

Originally posted by Typhon View Post
        My point was that they did not want slavery outlawed becuse of business.
        Not because of some belief in a superior race.
        That is debatable. They did use the superior race argument, maybe just because of business concerns, maybe because they believed it. Maybe both. Either way, slavery is despicable I say, their actual reasons suck, no matter what they were.
        You bought and sold me with your lying words.
        Phil, your head's all full of lice!

Comment

Another random thought, or surprise.

At the local market in my town today, while looking in the produce
          section, I stumble upon some nice looking tomatos. The sign above them
          says "from the state of New Jersey"!

So thanks New Jersey, only $1.29 per lb.

Comment

Originally posted by The Sabman Cometh View Post
            I applaud your sense of humor. Your comment is a direct contradiction to the article you linked, as this source simply attempts to sell left-wing propaganda and runs editorials under the guise of news articles. Historical revisionists and political activists are never a valid source of actual history.
            The Washington Post is about as close to the middle as you can get, leaning slightly conservative in fact:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...eir-audiences/

And if you want direct quotes, look here:

http://reverbpress.com/justice/irref...l-war-slavery/

Proof the other direction would be great Sabman, I would love to see it. Other than Billy Bob's second cousin's great grandmother's dog catcher. I don't go into this debate believing one way or the other, just looking for real evidence.

Comment

I believe that the Confederate flag is a symbol of heritage, and should be allowed. Offensive to some people does not equal inherently bad.

I think this is getting political.
              You tried to suppress me
              But nothing holds me down
              Just when you think you're happy
              I come around

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Wizard View Post
                I believe that the Confederate flag is a symbol of heritage, and should be allowed. Offensive to some people does not equal inherently bad.

I think this is getting political.
                Getting? How's about "is"?

It is a symbol of heritage, a heritage based on a system of slavery. Ick.

For a little perspective, I am a fan of the Washington Redskins. It's kind of like having an incurable disease. According to "reports", most native americans are "cool" with it. But if 25% are not, change the damn name! Daniel Snyder says it's about "tradition". BS. It's about losing money on merchandising, that's why he doesn't want to change the damn name.

What if somebody said the swastika is about heritage? Do you think Germany should fly swastikas over the country's capital? Yes, swastikas and the confederate flag are different, but there is a very important element in which they are the same. Both represent the oppression of a minority group.
                Last edited by Sicko FanAtic; 07-31-2015, 12:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Typhon View Post
                  Another random thought, or surprise.

At the local market in my town today, while looking in the produce
                  section, I stumble upon some nice looking tomatos. The sign above them
                  says "from the state of New Jersey"!

So thanks New Jersey, only $1.29 per lb.
                  Jersey tomatoes are the best and tastiest you can get.
                  "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
                  "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
                  ________Sabbath Forever, Forever Sabbath!______OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Wizard View Post
                    You are a smart young man Iron Wizard.
                    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
                    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
                      Jersey tomatoes are the best and tastiest you can get.
                      Careful, OID, or this thread could turn into some big debate over
                      which state's tomatoes are best.

Comment

For a little perspective, I am a fan of the Washington Redskins. It's kind of like having an incurable disease. According to "reports", most native americans are "cool" with it. But if 25% are not, change the damn name! Daniel Snyder says it's about "tradition". BS. It's about losing money on merchandising, that's why he doesn't want to change the damn name.
                        There very first head coach was an American Indian. The name was
                        used to honor him. I, personally, have no problem with it.

Comment

People complain too damn much.

Comment

When was the first time someone ripped a real stinker and someone declared "yup, farts are funny"?
                            "The consequence of conscience/Is that you'll be left somewhere/Swinging in the air"-Ronnie James Dio (1942-2010) R.I.P. King Of Metal
                            "Just take a look around you what do you see/Pain, suffering, and misery/It's not the way that the world was planned/It's a pity you don't understand" - Geezer Butler
                            "If god is in heaven/How can this happen here" - Phil Lynott (1949-1986)

Comment

Getting? How's about "is"?

It is a symbol of heritage, a heritage based on a system of slavery. Ick.

What if somebody said the swastika is about heritage? Do you think Germany should fly swastikas over the country's capital? Yes, swastikas and the confederate flag are different, but there is a very important element in which they are the same. Both represent the oppression of a minority group.
                              This. Very much this.

All the confederate flag stands for is oppression and rednecks. Only instance where I'm fine seeing one is Lynyrd Skynyrd concert, giving them a pass because of their awesome music
                              "The consequence of conscience/Is that you'll be left somewhere/Swinging in the air"-Ronnie James Dio (1942-2010) R.I.P. King Of Metal
                              "Just take a look around you what do you see/Pain, suffering, and misery/It's not the way that the world was planned/It's a pity you don't understand" - Geezer Butler
                              "If god is in heaven/How can this happen here" - Phil Lynott (1949-1986)

Comment

E5150, it can be difficult for anyone to understand a part of U.S. history from more than 150 years ago, especially people from other countries. It is likely that you have been exposed to a narrative set by those(media outlets) out to promote a political agenda. The Soviet Union used these tactics to attempt to undermine the reputation of the U.S. around the world while it oppressed not only its own people, but most of Eastern Europe. If you have any interest in military history, or if you desire more knowledge on this topic, I recommend that you research Confederate generals Robert E. Lee and Thomas (Stonewall) Jackson.

Sicko, linking an article will not result in a factual display of evidence to support a point of view. The last one was poorly written and represented an extreme bias. I find this brand of smug condescension to be extremely aggravating and I am from the north. I strongly disagree with the notion that the majority must bow to anyone, or fringe group which claims it is offended by a team name, flag, religion, a menu item, book, etc. For example, those receiving medical treatment for psychiatric issues may be offended by your screen name on BSO. Why do you hate mental patients?

Now I heard a story from my mailman's friend's cousin.... As you probably know, the U.S. Civil War represents a complex and bloody period in U.S. history. I do not recall a single source that would generate the authoritative proof of all proofs that settles the question regarding the cause of the war. In this politically charged, modern environment, this topic is often skewed for political purposes. Clearly, race-baiting and creating divisions is very profitable. I have read many books about the Civil War, especially biographies and autobiographies from generals and soldiers from both Union and Confederate sides. In addition, I have visited and supported many Civil War battlefields and historical sites. It is crucial to remember that one's loyalty was to his/her individual state first, ahead of the national government. Furthermore, the founding of the U.S. was based upon the apprehension of a large, potentially tyrannical national government. The memory of King George III and his tyranny toward the previous colonies was not forgotten. Next, the industrial revolution was creating two very different cultures-rapidly growing industries in the north and large plantations in the south providing the raw materials to feed this industrial machine. Sadly, slave labor was depended on to meet this demand. Tensions grew over decades, as westward expansion and economic disputes escalated. It was widely believed that the U.S. Constitution granted the state the right to secede from the union. Again, the idea of a growing federal authority was intolerable to many. The Abolitionist movement fanned these flames.

The issue of slavery was considered to be a moral dilemma by the founding fathers. Thomas Jefferson sought to achieve the elimination of slavery, however through the a democratic initiative, not by a federal mandate. This goal was not achieved and the demand of southern cotton for the northern textile industry accelerated rapidly. This illustration could continue for many more pages, but I will wind down now. The creation of the U.S. Constitution and the united effort by the colonies to oppose British rule required compromises. Decades later, agitators from both north and south prevented a peaceful resolution to the economic and cultural issues of the time. Many in the south opposed slavery and secession. Many in the north shared the same prejudices as those now called rednecks in the south. Lincoln raised an army to preserve the union and the north would not have supported a war fought to end slavery. The revisionist movement seeks to simplify the cause of the war as slavery, with the noble soldiers from the north fighting the defiant slave masters from the south. The field generals and soldiers thought quite differently and both sides fought with great honor and courage.
                                Last edited by The Sabman Cometh; 08-27-2015, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X