Random Thought Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random thought:
    Why is the number 13 considered unlucky in the US, if nowhere else? If there were any evidence of the unluckiness of this number, wouldn't it be considered unlucky everywhere? How do these myths persist through the decades and centuries?
    How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them.
    --Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Originally posted by Franklin View Post
      Random thought:
      Why is the number 13 considered unlucky in the US, if nowhere else? If there were any evidence of the unluckiness of this number, wouldn't it be considered unlucky everywhere? How do these myths persist through the decades and centuries?
      13 is considered an unlucky number here as well...and I'm sure it is elsewhere as well...was it the Chinese who considered number 4 to be unlucky? I've always found it strange that numbers can be unlucky.

Comment

Random thought:
        According to Varg Vikernes, it is lucky in many forms of Paganism. Thanks for the friendship request, by the way!
        Last edited by Iron Wizard; 12-15-2015, 03:10 PM.
        You tried to suppress me
        But nothing holds me down
        Just when you think you're happy
        I come around

Comment

Random thought:
          My understanding is it comes from 2 things - 1. The Last Supper had 13 people at it (Jesus & the 12 disciples) with one of the 13 (Judas) betraying Jesus & 2. It was a Friday the 13th of October 1307 when King Phillip IV of France ordered the destruction of the Knights Templar - this is why Friday the 13th is considered unlucky.
          At least my hair is all mine, My teeth are my own, but everything else is on a permanent loan I'm on a low budget - Ray Davies

Comment

• I was just headbanging full force and hit my head on a metal chair. Fortunately, it only hurts superficially. No inside headache type pain. It wasn't a direct hit. It hit straight on, but my head was kind of directed around it it without losing much speed, so there wasn't much of an impact.
            You tried to suppress me
            I come around

Comment

• Black Sabbath- Feat. Black Sabbath

Because we can actually play our own music...
              You tried to suppress me
              I come around

Comment

• I just heard I'm Broken by Pantera in the Hardees Steakhouse Thickburger television commercial.
                You tried to suppress me
                I come around

Comment

• http://www.metalinjection.net/video/...ees-commercial

I had a feeling we would hear about it here.
                  You tried to suppress me
                  I come around

Comment

• Looks about as good for you as Pantera's music too. I can feel my arteries clog just looking at it.
                    Black metal > Whatever you like, sorry. *shrugs*

Comment

• OK, I posted something then checked and it was completely wrong. Now I'll be up all night wondering what the right answer was.
                      Last edited by Franklin; 12-15-2015, 10:20 PM.
                      How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them.
                      --Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• What was it that you supposedly got wrong? Lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by Buffalo Bill Scruggs View Post
                          What was it that you supposedly got wrong? Lol.
                          Someone wrote Iron Wizard was one of the youngest if not the youngest member of this forum.
                          And I remembered there was this young guy, also around 14, who was into prog and he and I used to discuss it frequently. I thought it was Axe Fiend, but I checked his profile and he's around 45. Can't remember who it was.
                          Buffalo Bill, you were around 16 or 17 when you started here, right? I feel like I've seen you grow up before my very eyes. :-)
                          --Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Yeah I think I was 16.

Now I will be 26 in May; nearly ten years. Time flies. I've made many friendships here but sadly most of the guys have disappeared. I think you're one of the only ones left that I spoke to extensively since I signed up.

Comment

Someone wrote Iron Wizard was one of the youngest if not the youngest member of this forum.
                              And I remembered there was this young guy, also around 14, who was into prog and he and I used to discuss it frequently. I thought it was Axe Fiend, but I checked his profile and he's around 45. Can't remember who it was.
                              Buffalo Bill, you were around 16 or 17 when you started here, right? I feel like I've seen you grow up before my very eyes. :-)
                              Youngest active member then...
                              I was just thinking about this, actually...
                              You tried to suppress me
                              I come around

Comment

• I have very fine hair. Can I still grow it very long?
                                You tried to suppress me
                                I come around

Comment

Working...
                                X