No announcement yet.

Random Thought Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I knew this thread would mean trouble, and with religion over at Aimee's, ofcourse it had to be politics here

Israel is in the wrong!
    Ban Putin!
    Free Tibet!
    Legalize life!
    95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
    Til įrs ok frišar ok forn sišr

Comment

Politics, religion, love of money too.
      "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
      "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
      ________Sabbath Forever, Forever Sabbath!______OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Underdog View Post
        I knew this thread would mean trouble, and with religion over at Aimee's, ofcourse it had to be politics here

Israel is in the wrong!
        Ban Putin!
        Free Tibet!
        Legalize life!
        Run Billy! Run!
        Nobody I know is gonna take my rock & roll away from me.

Comment

I don't think the Confederate flag should be banned; banning anything sets a dangerous precedent. I do think, however, that people should have enough common sense to not fly the thing, knowing what it used to represent.

Like it or not, it may not have always been a symbol of support for slavery, but at one point it was, and it became known for that. It became inseparately associated with the concept of slavery.

It would be the exact same as if I decided to start flying Nazi flags all over my house. You'd be offended, no? You wouldn't want to be around me or my house. The Nazi flag wasn't always a symbol of racial hatred, but it became so when Hitler rose to power.

The two situations are the exact same. Again, I don't think the Confederate flag should be banned. But anyone that flies the Confederate flag, knowing what it has become known for, is a sociopath imo and should be shunned.
          Last edited by Buffalo Bill Scruggs; 08-03-2015, 08:06 PM.
          Black metal > Whatever you like, sorry. *shrugs*

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill Scruggs View Post
            I don't think the Confederate flag should be banned; banning anything sets a dangerous precedent. I do think, however, that people should have enough common sense to not fly the thing, knowing what it used to represent.

Like it or not, it may not have always been a symbol of support for slavery, but at one point it was, and it became known for that. It became inseparately associated with the concept of slavery.

It would be the exact same as if I decided to start flying Nazi flags all over my house. You'd be offended, no? You wouldn't want to be around me or my house. The Nazi flag wasn't always a symbol of racial hatred, but it became so when Hitler rose to power.

The two situations are the exact same. Again, I don't think the Confederate flag should be banned. But anyone that flies the Confederate flag, knowing what it has become known for, is a sociopath imo and should be shunned.
            What do you think of the state flag of Mississippi, Buff?
            Just wondering.

Nobody I know is gonna take my rock & roll away from me.

Comment

All this discussion revolving around a miniscule topic such as the redneck flag while I earlier tried to set up the foundation for a topic that might change the very concept of life! Nay, the very fabric of TIME:

Originally posted by -E5150 StarWanderer- View Post
              When was the first time someone ripped a real stinker and someone declared "yup, farts are funny"?
              "The consequence of conscience/Is that you'll be left somewhere/Swinging in the air"-Ronnie James Dio (1942-2010) R.I.P. King Of Metal
              "Just take a look around you what do you see/Pain, suffering, and misery/It's not the way that the world was planned/It's a pity you don't understand" - Geezer Butler
              "If god is in heaven/How can this happen here" - Phil Lynott (1949-1986)

Comment

Originally posted by Typhon View Post
                What do you think of the state flag of Mississippi, Buff?
                Just wondering.

That is so similar to the Confederate flag that I believe if they were forward-thinking individuals, they would change it.

As I said; I am not for banning. People should be free to be dicks if they want. But it will have consequences. If I see someone near me flying a Confederate flag, I will flat-out refuse to associate with that person; and I will encourage others to do the same.
                Black metal > Whatever you like, sorry. *shrugs*

Comment

Beware of wolves in sheep's clothing, for they are not who they claim and are ravenous.
                  "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
                  "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"

Comment

Here we go loop-dee-loooo

Here we go loop-dee-laaa

I was thinking about double consonants. they seem to act as a "shield" to the preceding vowel, allowing its sound to remain unchanged by vowels that come after.

For example, compare "Katie" to "Catty". In Katie, the ie at the end changes the "a" to "ay", but the -y in catty has no such effect, because of the double t. I've been trying to think of an exception to this rule but can't think of one yet.

Ah, I thought of a case where a double consonant serves a different purpose: The word success. The two c's each have different sounds. Then the double s at the end, what the hell is up with that?
                    Last edited by Sicko FanAtic; 08-04-2015, 07:23 AM.
                    You bought and sold me with your lying words.
                    Phil, your head's all full of lice!

Comment

Well its because it looks and sounds better than failure!
                      Pain and Poison Roses

Comment

Originally posted by -E5150 StarWanderer- View Post
                        All this discussion revolving around a miniscule topic such as the redneck flag while I earlier tried to set up the foundation for a topic that might change the very concept of life! Nay, the very fabric of TIME:
                        Now THAT is a topic to discuss. Don't understand how i missed that one...

Originally posted by Sicko FanAtic View Post
                        Here we go loop-dee-loooo

Here we go loop-dee-laaa

I was thinking about double consonants. they seem to act as a "shield" to the preceding vowel, allowing its sound to remain unchanged by vowels that come after.

For example, compare "Katie" to "Catty". In Katie, the ie at the end changes the "a" to "ay", but the -y in catty has no such effect, because of the double t. I've been trying to think of an exception to this rule but can't think of one yet.

Ah, I thought of a case where a double consonant serves a different purpose: The word success. The two c's each have different sounds. Then the double s at the end, what the hell is up with that?
                        Had a linguistic random thought the other day, but that was about the Norwegian language. I suspect it'd been a pretty lonely discussion for me around here... :(
                        95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
                        Til įrs ok frišar ok forn sišr

Comment

Sometimes a person's goodness gets taken as his weakness and therefore they who are many try to pull the wool over one's eyes.

Comment

Occasionally people avoid directly insulting other people by using thinly veiled aphorisms that are tangentially related to their true thoughts.
                            You bought and sold me with your lying words.
                            Phil, your head's all full of lice!

Comment

I like spam in my chilli!
                              Pain and Poison Roses

Comment

Where does a still born baby go?
                                Heaven or hell?
                                No chance to develop a personality to send him to either I guess
                                Then will he be as an adult or foetus when he arrives there?
                                Vote leave if u want totally cool either way

Comment

Working...
                                X