Random Thought Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jack the Stripper View Post
    I do most of my web surfing on an iPad these days and any forum threads on here that have a lot of videos embedded in them I can't view. The page continually loads & comes up with an error message saying 'A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded'
    I can't view the thrash metal thread for instance. Anyone else have this problem using an iPad?
    Embedding the youtube videos so that they show the thumbnail of what they are, as opposed to simply providing a link, seems to be very memory intensive. My computer will eventually load them (e.g. the Thrash thread) but it takes quite a bit of time. My computer probably has more RAM than your iPad, so while mine might cough and choke a little, yours gags and chokes until it dies.
    How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them.
    --Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Originally posted by turch118 View Post
      Hey IW, how was your 1st week back to school?
      From being sick? Hard, I suppose, but since my school lets out for Summer next week, all we have I'd exams, so all of the crazy shit is gone. It'd just exam review now. They start next Tuesday. I don't really study much for exams because I feel like it's a "you know what you know" thing, and they are generally easy as they don't cover the same minutia that quizzes and tests do.

I missed three antibiotic doses the first week back, as it's hard to remember when I'm tired after I wake up. It actually caused something to happen. I felt like complete shit at school one day, nauseous and all, and missed the next day.

As another thought, I'm learning bass and getting pretty good with playing bass in conjunction with guitar. I'm debating pick vs fingers a lot though. I feel like playing with my fingers is part of the whole experience of playing bass, but a lot of the black metal I play requires a pick. I really enjoy bass, but I am at a disadvantage being only 5'0, it's kind of hard to reach everything on the bass easily.
      You tried to suppress me
      But nothing holds me down
      Just when you think you're happy
      I come around

Comment

• In contrast to the popularly held view that extreme music like heavy metal is responsible for causing feelings of anger, depression or isolation, it may in fact be capable of combating these very sorts of negative emotions, according to a new study published this week.

Researchers from the University of Queensland in Australia have found that when volunteers were exposed to extreme music genres including heavy metal, emo, hardcore, punk, and screamo, they actually experienced a range of positive feelings, such as calmness, happiness or being inspired. (It’s worth noting that the participants in the testing were fans of these genres already – if not, your individual results may vary!)

The study, conducted by honours student Leah Sharman and psychologist Genevieve Dingle, took 39 regular listeners of extreme music aged between 18 and 34 years and subjected them to an anger induction, where for a period of 16 minutes they were prompted to recall unhappy personal experiences that made them feel angry or stressed, involving their partners, employment or finances.

After the anger induction, participants were then monitored during a 10-minute window in which they either listened to 10 minutes’ worth of extreme music or were required to sit in silence for the same amount of time.

The researchers found that, rather than amplifying the negative emotions of anger or stress, those who listened to 10 minutes of head-banging tunes actually felt the better for it.

According to the research, published this month in Frontiers in Human Neuroscience, “The findings indicate that extreme music did not make angry participants angrier; rather, it appeared to match their physiological arousal and result in an increase in positive emotions. Listening to extreme music may represent a healthy way of processing anger for these listeners.”

The researchers contend that we’ve had it the wrong way around when it comes to assumptions about heavy music and the emotional state of the listener. Their findings suggest that people don’t listen to hardcore, thrash and punk and become angry as a result; rather, listeners may choose music forms that match their current level of stress or agitation and use the energy and rhythm of the recordings to help process how they feel.

“We found the music regulated sadness and enhanced positive emotions,” Sharman said in a press release. “When experiencing anger, extreme music fans liked to listen to music that could match their anger. The music helped them explore the full gamut of emotion they felt, but also left them feeling more active and inspired. Results showed levels of hostility, irritability and stress decreased after music was introduced, and the most significant change reported was the level of inspiration they felt.”

What’s remarkable about the results is how extreme music, which has a reputation for dwelling in some pretty dark subject matter, can be so uplifting for those who like to listen to it - findings which may have even shocked the researchers.

“It was interesting that half of the chosen songs contained themes of anger or aggression, with the remainder containing themes like – though not limited to - isolation and sadness,” Sharman said.

“Yet participants reported they used music to enhance their happiness, immerse themselves in feelings of love and enhance their well-being.”
        Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law

Comment

• ^^^^^^
          Great post, Thel.
          For me personally, when ever I happen to be feeling a bit down,
          listening to some Sabbath has always made me feel better.
          Nobody I know is gonna take my rock & roll away from me.

Comment

• http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...-lifetime.html

Intelligence proves that this is a huge piece of bullshit. First off, they are saying teens like "intense" music. Most of the music I have heard other kids my age listen to is soft and not intense. Second, the way they came to their conclusion is wrong. It has nothing to do with people "mellowing" with age. People do not mellow naturally. They do it because they are expected to act more mature. The music taste thing is a generational thing. Those in their teens now like pop. Those in their thirties to early fifties now like 80s rock and metal. Those in their 60s now like older rock. Those above that probably just listen to classical or something. Ten years from now, that will be different. People in their twenties will like pop. Actually, most of it is so disposable that they won't....
            You tried to suppress me
            I come around

Comment

• ^^^^^^
              Well, as is usually the case with me, I am an exception to the conclusions
              drawn in that study. My musical tastes have not changed over the years.
              I listen to much of the same music today as I did 40 years ago (with
              additions over time, of course).

Comment

• At last, I am now in the last week of school this year! We have exams, and no academic classes. After I finish the exams, I can go home. I get off at one tomorrow, but at ten in the morning Thursday, which is my last day. I miss the last day of school activities. They were fun. They don't do them in high school...

I am repeating ninth grade, though.

We have two hours for each exam. That is a huge amount of time. I only need an hour. Sitting in a room doing nothing for the second hour is torture.
                You tried to suppress me
                I come around

Comment

• Originally posted by Typhon View Post
                  ^^^^^^
                  Well, as is usually the case with me, I am an exception to the conclusions
                  drawn in that study. My musical tastes have not changed over the years.
                  I listen to much of the same music today as I did 40 years ago (with
                  additions over time, of course).
                  Of course musical tastes slightly bend over the years. But they don't have any pattern, and they don't change dramatically. A metalhead will always have a fondness for metal. Take for example Varg Vikernes. He has always been a metalhead, but he discovered how much he liked ambient and moved towards that. He still likes heavy metal, though. He just doesn't show it as he has rejected the culture for its association with drugs. Additions to your selection will always happen.

Another thing that happens that skews the results is peer pressure. When kids are young, their friends are listening to pop, so they do it to "fit in". When they get older and thus more wise, they realize that devoting their life to conforming to closed minded groups of people is a waste of time. They then explore music on their own and find something they like.

Here is a reverse scenario from that study:

My dad has actually grown more fond of metal since he was a kid. I introduced him to many bands...
                  You tried to suppress me
                  I come around

Comment

• Over 80 degrees F today!
                    Yaaahooooo!

Comment

• Originally posted by Typhon View Post
                      Over 80 degrees F today!
                      Yaaahooooo!
                      Yahoo's? What the fuck? You enjoy this weather? I hate warm weather...
                      You tried to suppress me
                      I come around

Comment

• Russian saying - “laughing for no reason is a sign of stupidity.”

What do you know? They're right about most of the rest of the world. A sign of stupidity ... how accurate.

Comment

• Happy Memorial Day weekend everyone.

God bless America and God bless our brave soldiers!
                          "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
                          "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
                          ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Comment

• Apparently inbreeding is a serious problem in Norway.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sin Cardinal Sin View Post
                              Apparently inbreeding is a serious problem in Norway.
                              There's ALOT of negative shit i could say about Indias culture, and they're actually factual, but i don't want to lower myself to your level...
                              95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
                              Til įrs ok frišar ok forn sišr

Comment

• I love The Monkees. New album Good Times has a lot of good moments!

Comment

Working...
                                X