Announcement

Collapse

Logins with New Software

If you are having problems staying logged in since the Jan 15 change to the new version of vBulletin, please go to your browser's configuration area, and delete the cookies for this website, and reboot your browser.

-- Joe
See more
See less

Treehouse of Horror XVII

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Treehouse of Horror XVII

Did people remember to watch? I though it was ok but not great.

I don't know if anyone else caught it but the story where Homer is a giant blob Kent Brockman says "here the Bl<u>ob Rules</u>. Think Groening is a fan?
    "I want to tell you, yeah
    How Good It Feels
    Sleeping here with you tonight
    And thatís for real"
    -Sometimes I'm Happy 8/5/75

Re: Treehouse of Horror XVII

I seen that episode, and no I don't think so.
    Vic always says 'killing is my business, and business is good'.. He can play the symphony of destruction, after all the worlds needs a hero because the system has failed. Vic is on the killing road to Hangar 18, and he will Take No Prisioners on this holy wars.

Quote by Ray Rules

Comment

I seen it. I don't usually watch the Simpsons much, but I looked in the TV guide and nothign better was on so I had it on in the background. I seen that Blob Rules thing too and wondered if it wass referncing to sabbath.

Comment

Originally Posted By: Memory I seen it. I don't usually watch the Simpsons much, but I looked in the TV guide and nothign better was on so I had it on in the background. I seen that Blob Rules thing too and wondered if it wass referncing to sabbath.
        I think when a person can watch an episode like that and take Blob Rules as a Sabbath reference they can consider themselves Sabbath-holics
        "I want to tell you, yeah
        How Good It Feels
        Sleeping here with you tonight
        And thatís for real"
        -Sometimes I'm Happy 8/5/75

Comment

I had the same thought when I heard him say that, though I didn't think much of it other than a laugh on a pun.
          "Even with so much bad blood between us... It's funny... Now that I'm actually face to face with him again... The hatred is gone. All I feel is a deep sense of longing. And pity. Did Zero really hate me? Or... Did he fear me?" - Big Boss

Comment

I bet you anything it doesn't mean anything
            Vic always says 'killing is my business, and business is good'.. He can play the symphony of destruction, after all the worlds needs a hero because the system has failed. Vic is on the killing road to Hangar 18, and he will Take No Prisioners on this holy wars.

Quote by Ray Rules

Comment

I haven't watched newer Simpsons in a very long time. I put in one of their THOH DVDs today and had a good laugh though.

"DAD! YOU'R HAND IS JAMMED IN THE TOASTER!!!"

Comment

Originally Posted By: Psycho Man
                Originally Posted By: Memory I seen it. I don't usually watch the Simpsons much, but I looked in the TV guide and nothign better was on so I had it on in the background. I seen that Blob Rules thing too and wondered if it wass referncing to sabbath.
                I think when a person can watch an episode like that and take Blob Rules as a Sabbath reference they can consider themselves Sabbath-holics
                lol true...well I think the Mob Rules is actually a saying, and that's where the album title came from. That's probably what it's based around...but sure it's possible that Groening knows about Sabbath stuff...email him!
                -rar

Comment

Groening doesn't write the show. One of the writers probably put the reference in.

Comment

Groening does write the show. But he also have other writers to help him.

Quote by Ray Rules

Comment

The thing to remember about the Simpsons is that writing each episode is largely a group effort. Even when you see the name of the writer of the particular episode, it always gets heavily rewritten by the rest of the staff. So in that sense, Groening does have input with writing (although in terms of penning/cowriting actual episodes he only has few).

Anyways, I never paid much attention to the Blob rules line. But it wouldn't surprise me with them. They did include Iron Man in Futurama after all. On the DVD commentary for that episode everyone suddenly got pumped and started singing along with the riff. It's a safe bet to say Matt's a Sabbath fan. Only way we'll know for sure if THOH is a Sab reference is when it comes out on DVD (and it's gonna be a long time).

Comment

I doubt the writers have tried to include a play on the name of a 20-odd year-old Sabbath album that those outside of its fanbase would not have heard of.

I'm sure Kent Brockman has previously mentioned "mob rule" in a news story.

"Mob rule" = rule by groups of pissed-off people after a complete breakdown in law.

"The mob rules' = rule by mafia-type organisations.

Comment

Kind of a weak episode. When I was a little kid, The Blob freaked me right out, though. Since "The Mob Rules" is a common phrase, I'd have to say it wasn't a Sabbath reference.

Comment

Originally Posted By: turntostone Kind of a weak episode.
                            I kind of agree. In the last two seasons the show just hasn't felt right to me. Not sure what it is that's missing (or what's there that has to go), but it doesn't have the same kind of quality these days. Though this could be derived from being on the air for 18 seasons, but I feel like the writers are capable of delivering top quality like the old days but simply don't know how to reach it.

Then again maybe I'm getting a little too philosophical for something like Simpsons.

Comment

Originally Posted By: turntostone Kind of a weak episode.
                              I kind of agree. In the last two seasons the show just hasn't felt right to me. Not sure what it is that's missing (or what's there that has to go), but it doesn't have the same kind of quality these days. Though this could be derived from being on the air for 18 seasons, but I feel like the writers are capable of delivering top quality like the old days but simply don't know how to reach it.

Then again maybe I'm getting a little too philosophical for something like Simpsons.

Comment

Working...
                              X