What are you listening to right now Pt 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jack the Stripper View Post
    If I can answer that for you Thel. DEFINITELY NOT! A lot of good to great albums in the W.A.S.P. discography since the masterful The Crimson Idol album but I'll recommend you two that I consider the very best.

Dying for the World(2002). Blackie's darkest & heaviest work. The album was written in the wake of the 9/11 terror attacks which obviously affected Blackie very deeply(as it did a lot of people) The lyrics focus on the events of 9/11 and on revenge to the perpetrators behind it. The results are one very dark & heavy album full of rage & emotion. It also marks the debut of Darrell Roberts on guitar who's work is impeccable on this album and also see's the return of Frankie Banali on drums. A great & genuinely underrated metal album.

Dominator(2007) Blackie returned to his heavy, melodic and emotive best on this album. Great riffs and killer choruses throughout with brilliant solos by Doug Blair(the best axeman they've ever had) Every song reeks classic W.A.S.P. with the highlights being Mercy, Long, Way To Go, Take Me Up, The Burning Man, Heaven's Hung in Black(arguably the greatest balled Blackie has ever written) and the totally rockin Deal With The Devil. Dominator is the best album since The Crimson Idol for mine and in my top 3 all time W.A.S.P. albums.

Others worth checking out also are Still Not Black Enough(1995), The Industrial metal sounding Kill, Fuck Die(1997), Unholy Terror(2001) Babylon(2009)& Golgotha(2015). The only one I'd strongly recommend avoiding is Helldorado(1999)The less said about that album the better.

Love W.A.S.P.
    Thanks for the heads up Jack - I will definitely check out the albums you mentioned. Always thought that Lawless was a great frontman.
    Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law

Comment

• Originally posted by Thelemech View Post
      Always thought that Lawless was a great frontman.
      No doubt he is one of the great singer/songwriters ever in metal. Such a powerful and emotive voice. Along with Ozzy fewer have been more emotive and hypnotic.

When a lot of people think of W.A.S.P. they think of the circular saw blades, the blood & torture shtick and the Fuck Like A Beast sexual perversion type stuff but there is so much more to W.AS.P. than that. Particularly since The Headless Children album. Blackie really captured lightning in a bottle on that album and really grew & matured as a songwriter since then(Helldorado aside) and continues to this day to put out a lot of quality thought provoking stuff. His voice is still in pretty dam good shape for his age too.

Comment

• We donít see things as they are; we see them as we are.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thelemech View Post
          Is this the last GREAT album they did??? I have not heard anything past that.
          My interest for WASP awoke while I was listenning to Heaven's Hung in Black on Radio Metal this last weekend ..
          I had stopped hearing WASP s material after the Headless Chidren that I had loved ... my life changed a lot at that time: marriage, first job, house, children... nothing original .
          Now I have more time for me.
          Difficult to find better words than Jack to describe what I discovered for a few days. Blackie's voice is just incredibly emotional on these ballads as I Miss You or again Heaven's Hung in Black.
          Very good rediscovery.

Comment

• Round And Round- Ratt
            "Dumb Ass" Red Foreman That 70's Show

Comment

• Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law

Comment

• Originally posted by TYR66 View Post
                My interest for WASP awoke while I was listenning to Heaven's Hung in Black on Radio Metal this last weekend ..
                I had stopped hearing WASP s material after the Headless Chidren that I had loved ... my life changed a lot at that time: marriage, first job, house, children... nothing original .
                Now I have more time for me.
                Difficult to find better words than Jack to describe what I discovered for a few days. Blackie's voice is just incredibly emotional on these ballads as I Miss You or again Heaven's Hung in Black.
                Very good rediscovery.
                Thanks for the response TYR66!! I hope you are well my friend.
                Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law

Comment

• Originally posted by TYR66 View Post
                  Blackie's voice is just incredibly emotional on these ballads as I Miss You
                  Another fine example of Blackie's ability to tug at the heart strings. For anyone that's ever lost someone close to them it's hard not to listen to Miss You and not feel a little emotional.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

• Originally posted by Jack the Stripper View Post
                            Another fine example of Blackie's ability to tug at the heart strings. For anyone that's ever lost someone close to them it's hard not to listen to Miss You and not feel a little emotional.
                            Agreed .
                            This song is a tribute to his deceased brother Clifford, if I'm not wrong.

Comment

• Feeling deep discomfort after listening.
                              disturbing experience. At least do it once. A religious mystical concept but something evil inside ... I don't know.

Comment

• ^ I find that peaceful and meditative. Even melodic. Looks like an orthodox church in Macedonia helped put that together.

Comment

Working...
                                X