A good starter guitar for metal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A good starter guitar for metal?

So I'm getting my first electric guitar as a xmas gift to myself, and was wondering if I could get some recommendations. I've only been playing for just a few months but the acoustic is getting a little boring since most of the music I want to learn is hard rock/heavy metal, so I'm thinking that buying my first electric will motivate me more.

Basically my budget is $250 at most but I might go $300 if it's something really nice. The Tony Iommi sound is what I most want to emulate but it's not a big deal to have it sound spot on. Most people I've talked to have highly recommended the Line 6 Spider III as a good starter amp for it's price so that will probably be the amp I get(although some people have also told me getting a digital amp doesn't allow you to hear the real sound of the guitar).

Any recommendations and advice is greatly appreciated, thanks.

I personally hate the line 6 amps, the digital sound is horrible, but if you want to stick cheap, I guess you could get it, though I would stick to tube amps. As for a guitar, you can get a nice BC rich warlock for about 300$-350$ and there tone is really good for Heavy Metal and its surprisingly really nice sounding on the clean setting.
    http://wickedinquisition.bandcamp.com/

Comment

I find Ibanez pretty good for metal as well. I own a GRX20 Black guitar with 22 frets. The only problem it has is the tuners, for that I suggest locking nut tuners, so it doesn't get out of tune easily.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/p...RWXGB&ZYXSEM=0 - Ibanez GRX20

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/G...otomatics.html - Grover Tuners

These two come around 200 dollars. The thing about these tuners (Grovers), is that they won't fit on the guitar, so you might want to get the modded at the guitar shop.

I would highly suggest that you go to a guitar shop as well and try a lot of different guitars before you decide. See what is comfortable for you to play.
      "Even with so much bad blood between us... It's funny... Now that I'm actually face to face with him again... The hatred is gone. All I feel is a deep sense of longing. And pity. Did Zero really hate me? Or... Did he fear me?" - Big Boss

Comment

Both above suggestions are spot on. Firstly finding a comfortable guitar is of the utmost importance. Especially if you're just starting out. So narrow down the body style you're shooting for. With your price range it will limit the quality to some extent. You'll always get a better instrument used at that price then something new at that price. But it doesn't mean you can't get something great.

Ibanez instruments around $300.00 used are a safe bet in terms of value for the dollar. Above all I would stay away from new guitars at your local Guitar Center. Chances are you'll save 50- 100.00 on something new there compared to Sam Ash or another local shop. But you'll have to spend an additional $50 - 100 getting a neck adjustment, or buffing out the bridge etc after you leave G center. Other stores make these necessary adjustments once the guitars arrive from their wholesalers and include those in their markup. Centers guitars go from receiving dock to the sales floor, no quality testing before they put them out. So just know what you're getting into with Center. But as I said something used there is in the shape it was brought in, so you stand a better chance in that event.

As for Line 6, sn0wb1ind0zzy, is right about tube amps. But I wouldn't go for a Tube amp unless you plan to start recording with a band right away. A 15 watt combo amp that has a tube will cost much more, and really you're losing out on options in that case. If you're going for a 100 watt combo/Head with a 4X12 cabinet, yes get a Tube amp. Tubes are the preferable sound for stage & CD, but for learning and practicing the solid state & digital emulation amps are great. Like I said, you will get a TON more options available to you with a digital. Right now I would think you want to get as much bang for your buck as possible. There are plenty of alternatives to Line 6 as well so don't be too hasty. Try a Crate, Ibanez, Behringer etc.

With the economy as it is if you have spending cash you are in a good position. Just spend a good amount of time at the stores. Go to several different places. Look online, check Craigslist & plenty of Pawn shops. Also research gear reviews & opinions at Harmony Central.com

Good luck!
        The best blueberry muffins I ever had landed 6 people in prison, three for life.

Comment

Originally posted by sn0wb1ind0zzy View Post
          I personally hate the line 6 amps, the digital sound is horrible, but if you want to stick cheap, I guess you could get it, though I would stick to tube amps. As for a guitar, you can get a nice BC rich warlock for about 300$-350$ and there tone is really good for Heavy Metal and its surprisingly really nice sounding on the clean setting.
          I agree on everything he said, from amps to guitars.
          I sold my Line 6 and got a Metal Zone pedal and some booze.
          The bridge pup on my chinese Warlock sounds better than my Les Paul. Truly.
          ---------------------------------------------------------
          Ax wrestler, I try to play the guitar.
          Gibson-cable-amp.
          When out of whiskey Iíll go for beer.

Comment

The LTD series from ESP are pretty decent guitars. Dean also has some low price metal guitars. Pretty much anything with a humbucker is good for metal. stay away from single coil pickup guitars.

Comment

I own 2 epihone guitars and I esecially like the epi sg that I have. It rivals the Gibson SG in playability in my opinion!

Comment

In some other thread I mentioned as I myself wanted to get a new guitar for myself. I finally bought a Omen Extreme 6 guitar. Would recommend you to have a look at the Schecter guitars.
                http://www.facebook.com/cosmicchants
                https://soundcloud.com/cosmicchants
                http://www.myspace.com/cosmicchants

Comment

Working...
                X