Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• StarWanderer's SoundCloud Page

Hi everyone!

Decided to make a SoundCloud page for me to work as a creative outlet of sort.

My idea was to post mainly covers there (in a private mode so only those who've received the link can access it), but it is a copyright infringement, so I guess that is out of the question. I'll try sneak some of my original compositions in there.

The sole upload in my profile at the moment is a track that I made with a "tongue-in-cheek" mentality couple years back: Hauki Main Theme:

A product of yet another boring evening, this guitar oriented experimental ambient piece is the title cut for the soundtrack of an unreleased (as in "never-to-be-released") fictional Finnish horror movie project "Hauki" (The Pike).

https://soundcloud.com/mosquitoandthestingers

--------------------------------------------

I'll be posting updates here as (if) I manage to upload more of my work there. So if you're interested, please check the page out. All constructive criticism is welcome (and will be brushed aside )
    Last edited by -E5150 StarWanderer-; 03-09-2015, 05:45 AM.
    "The consequence of conscience/Is that you'll be left somewhere/Swinging in the air"-Ronnie James Dio (1942-2010) R.I.P. King Of Metal
    "Just take a look around you what do you see/Pain, suffering, and misery/It's not the way that the world was planned/It's a pity you don't understand" - Geezer Butler
    "If god is in heaven/How can this happen here" - Phil Lynott (1949-1986)

Decided to add privately one of my demoes, which I find to be maybe my "best" work. It's still uncomplete (I haven't finished composing vocal lines, and I wasn't satisfied with the drums I programmed for the outro section so it has only guitars and bass at the moment), so I'll be taking it down at some point.

I just wanted to share it here to get the opinions of you guys on my mixing, mastering and the song in general It is heavily Sabbath influenced, riff oriented tune - hence the working title 'Fountain Of Riffs'. I originally recorded it two years ago using the built-in plugins of my Boss Micro BR80 audio interface (including it's bass emulator for the bass track).

Would be particularly interested in hearing the input of you more experienced members (William_The_Bloody, Axefiend, Billy U, WheelsOfConfusion and WhiteSabbath...you know who you are ). I used quite heavy panning with the rhythm guitars to achieve as big of a sound as possible, might be that I went a little overboard.

And again, don't hold anything back: I'm looking to improve my skills in the recording and producing department

https://soundcloud.com/mosquitoandth...-riffs/s-urLm5
    Last edited by -E5150 StarWanderer-; 03-25-2015, 09:58 AM.
    "The consequence of conscience/Is that you'll be left somewhere/Swinging in the air"-Ronnie James Dio (1942-2010) R.I.P. King Of Metal
    "Just take a look around you what do you see/Pain, suffering, and misery/It's not the way that the world was planned/It's a pity you don't understand" - Geezer Butler

Comment

Sounds good dude. Some of the riffs have an early Priest feel to it. I like your tone. What are you playing through? Would like to hear it with drums.

Good job so far.

Comment

Thanks man!

All the guitars and bass (actually a guitar too throught the devices bass emulator) are played through the Boss Micro BR80's plug-ins. You can get pretty good tones out of that little recording gadget

Just wait 'till you hear the tone of my Laney LH50 and my pedalboard
        Last edited by -E5150 StarWanderer-; 03-10-2015, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Great work and excellent tone , very nicely done Star!! ..... let's hear that Laney and board!

Comment

Sounds great star wondered. You can defiantly hear your Sabbath influence on fountain of riffs. Very cool layering. The first tune I find very intriguing. Good stuff I'm liking forward to hearing more.
            www.downtrendmetal.com

Comment

Originally posted by axeman_12656 View Post
              Sounds great star wondered. You can defiantly hear your Sabbath influence on fountain of riffs. Very cool layering. The first tune I find very intriguing. Good stuff I'm liking forward to hearing more.
              Thanks mate

I was aiming for as "wide" or "big" stereo image as possible in Fountain Riffs - did some heavy panning with the guitars and added a third rhythm guitar to the major 3rd harmony parts playing the harmony an octave lower, thought it sounded pretty cool.

Hauki is bit of an ambient track, I quite liked how the ticking noise I did with my guitar came out. But my favorite aspect was those chords with the heavy rotary effect. I think it helped a lot in setting the scary tone and build-up to the unison passage. Although I've been wondering if the bass should play fourths in pedal point at that part, but I kinda like how it sounds doubling the guitar riff.

Originally posted by BACK TO EDEN View Post
              Great work and excellent tone , very nicely done Star!! ..... let's hear that Laney and board!
              Thanks doc, means a lot! I first need to acquire a condenser mic to record my cab. Don't like the results of recording an amp with a single dynamic mic.
              Last edited by -E5150 StarWanderer-; 03-25-2015, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Sorry to've taken so long to get around to this Star, but checking the tunes now. I loved the sound on Hauki and could easily hear myself doing the drums on something like that. Fountain, that's one where the Dio-Sabbath/Finnish influence is more audible, but i'm actually sitting here air-drumming , esp. the riff that starts at 1:31(ish), i'd be riding (as in Ride cymbal) the shit out of that part.

Dude, i think you and i will and must meet once in the future. Damn, it's just through moron-land and over the pond, it's not THAT far...
                95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
                Til įrs ok frišar ok forn sišr

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Underdog View Post
                  Sorry to've taken so long to get around to this Star, but checking the tunes now. I loved the sound on Hauki and could easily hear myself doing the drums on something like that. Fountain, that's one where the Dio-Sabbath/Finnish influence is more audible, but i'm actually sitting here air-drumming , esp. the riff that starts at 1:31(ish), i'd be riding (as in Ride cymbal) the shit out of that part.

Dude, i think you and i will and must meet once in the future. Damn, it's just through moron-land and over the pond, it's not THAT far...
                  Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated! Means a lot my "compositions" were good enough to make you air-drum along them

We totally should meet in the future and jam! Maybe pick up a singer (not too operatic )from Sweden on my/your way through that barren waste land and jam some Sabbath tunes

*disclaimer, I actually really like Sweden and Swedish people*
                  Last edited by -E5150 StarWanderer-; 06-22-2015, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Sounds cool E. I'd love to hear some vocals or a shredding lead on top, or maybe Billy bashing along?

Couldn't find Fountain of Riffs, take that one back to the shed?
                    You bought and sold me with your lying words.
                    Phil, your head's all full of lice!

Comment

Originally posted by -E5150 StarWanderer- View Post
                      *disclaimer, I actually really like Sweden and Swedish people*
                      I do too, i just love fØn with them
                      95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
                      Til įrs ok frišar ok forn sišr

Comment

Originally posted by Sicko FanAtic View Post
                        Sounds cool E. I'd love to hear some vocals or a shredding lead on top, or maybe Billy bashing along?

Couldn't find Fountain of Riffs, take that one back to the shed?
                        It's still there, just set it on "private" so you can only access it through a specific link I shared on this thread on one of my posts, here it is again https://soundcloud.com/mosquitoandth...-riffs/s-urLm5

Comment

Ahh, there it is! Cool riffs broski! I bet you Iommi has recordings kind of like this stacked with monster riffs that he brings out when he writes with a band. You in a band? If not, come on over dude.

Is that a picture of your guitar as the track "avatar" or what have you? Looks scary!

Nice technique on the soloing too, the leads don't seem to be in the right key (consistently a fourth up), but move them down a fourth or up a fifth and you have some killer lead work there as well.

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by Sicko FanAtic View Post
                            Ahh, there it is! Cool riffs broski! I bet you Iommi has recordings kind of like this stacked with monster riffs that he brings out when he writes with a band. You in a band? If not, come on over dude.

Is that a picture of your guitar as the track "avatar" or what have you? Looks scary!

Nice technique on the soloing too, the leads don't seem to be in the right key (consistently a fourth up), but move them down a fourth or up a fifth and you have some killer lead work there as well.

Cheers!
                            Thanks for the feedback! Much appreciated Not in any official band at the moment, we have dome some cover gigs with a band made up of my relatives, but we've had a year long hiatus due to logistic and scheduling reasons sadly.

The guitar is actually custom made, made by a family friend to me. It is very unique, I wanted it to have a transparent liquer finish, and the guy who made it actually had a minor mishap and some air bubbles formed under the liquer, but I kinda digged the look and told him not to redo the whole finishing process. I guess you could say it bares a similarity to Iommi's Old Boy.

The song is in the key of D-minor, as are the leads. The main riff is infused with a whole lot of chromatic notes though, so what you might be hearing is the natural minor notes clashing with the chromatic ones? The chromatic run in the riff is E, D# and D, so they are all in the D chromatic scale amirite? I'm staying mostly in a D minor pentatonic over that chromatic riff and it doesn't sound that off to me (outside of few lazy bends coupled with the wah's modulation effect), but I guess key of A minor would've worked over that as well?

I've never really studied soloing over chromatic figures, so I've always just trusted my ears and went with what sounds right.

P.S: Nearly laughed out loud at the second sentence of your signature Nice catch, and what made it even funnier is that I immediately got this image of someone telling Phil Lynott his majestic 'fro was riddled with lice

Last edited by -E5150 StarWanderer-; 07-06-2015, 08:38 PM.

Comment

Ha, I wasn't thinking of Phil Lynott, but of course, I am now!

I hear the first riff in Ab, the second in Db. But anyways, wrong key was the wrong phrase, it would be better to say the solos emphasize the key a 4th up, or at least the solos over riff 1 do, when you solo over the second riff the playing fits better to my mind. It's more a matter of what notes you end phrases on than playing the wrong scale or anything. Generally you want to end phrases on chord tones, or at least that is how it is normally done, so in Ab minor, Ab, Cb, and Eb are the normal target notes, not Db and Fb.

Comment

Working...
                              X