Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tony Iommi's best solo

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Tony Iommi's best solo

    I personally think Warning, but I want to hear what you guys think.

  • #2
    You're probably looking for a studio solo, but I gotta go with his solo off the Live Evil release- side 3 I think- during Heaven and Hell. Just remarkable!
    The blind men shout "Let the creatures out, we'll show the unbelievers."
    The napalm screams of human flames, of a prime time Belsen feast ... yeah!
    As the reasons for the carnage cut their meat and lick the gravy.
    We oil the jaws of the war machine and feed it with our babies.

    Comment


    • #3
      A personal favourite of mine is the ending of Over and Over
      My name is Lucifer please take my hand.

      Comment


      • #4
        Can't comment on best live solo. As far as off studio albums, so many awesome solos, hard to choose, I'll have to think about that.

        One from each Ozzy album:

        Black Sabbath
        War Pigs middle solo
        After Forever
        Snowblind (1st solo)
        Looking For Today
        The Thrill of it All (fade out solo)
        You Won't Change Me
        Shock Wave
        Age of Reason
        You bought and sold me with your lying words.
        Phil, your head's all full of lice!

        Comment


        • #5
          Best album solo would have to be Lonely Is The Word....that is just incredible, pure magic.

          Then it would be The Warning and then Over And Over.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by IommiRules View Post
            You're probably looking for a studio solo, but I gotta go with his solo off the Live Evil release- side 3 I think- during Heaven and Hell. Just remarkable!
            Live is fine, especially if it's from Live Evil.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Sicko FanAtic View Post
              Can't comment on best live solo. As far as off studio albums, so many awesome solos, hard to choose, I'll have to think about that.

              One from each Ozzy album:

              Black Sabbath
              War Pigs middle solo
              After Forever
              Snowblind (1st solo)
              Looking For Today
              The Thrill of it All (fade out solo)
              You Won't Change Me
              Shock Wave
              Age of Reason
              Good choices.

              Comment


              • #8
                Warning is just so dominate in terms of it's the guitar out front, almost like a live audition your listening too, but it terms of technical style I think Iommi had much better solos as he progressed as a player. Dirty Women was brilliant, You Won't Change Me, Over And Over drips with emotion and heavy blues but it's Lonely Is The Word that for me, is Iommi's Mt. Everest for solos, I always dubbed that song "Blues For Ozzy", I don't know why, but I think it was his ode to Ozzy's departure, goodbye to friends...ha!
                "Music is so sacred to me that I canít hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
                R. Blackmore

                Comment


                • #9
                  I could pick a bunch of great solos from Tony's fruitful career but i will go with Wicked World from Live At Last.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    There are so many brilliant solos on the studio albums, it's hard to narrow it down. Tony's style also evolved continually throughout his career, so comparing solos from different eras is pretty much an apples & oranges endeavour. I can probably single out some faves though, in no particular order:

                    Born Again - the solo really captures the immensely sorrowful tone of the song.

                    Neon Knights - Extremely well written solo that starts off melodically, with some EXCELLENT phrasing, before ending in an energetic flurry of notes.

                    Wishing Well - Most of the solo is played "backwards" on the recording, and I wish I knew what it really sounded like. But maybe that's part of the charm, because when the solo is turned "forwards" again near the beautiful end, it becomes all the more effective.

                    Shock Wave - Fast and furious with a hot wah-sound, and the end sounds a bit like Randy Rhoads as I said in another thread.

                    Planet Caravan - Very simple and tasteful jazz improv.

                    Tomorrow's Dream - I don't know why, but I'm always floored by this solo. It's short, extremely simple, and comes in at just the right time. Once you learn how to slide around between frets on the guitar, this solo is endlessly fun to play.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by BaptizedinFire View Post
                      There are so many brilliant solos on the studio albums, it's hard to narrow it down. Tony's style also evolved continually throughout his career, so comparing solos from different eras is pretty much an apples & oranges endeavour. I can probably single out some faves though, in no particular order:

                      Born Again - the solo really captures the immensely sorrowful tone of the song.

                      Neon Knights - Extremely well written solo that starts off melodically, with some EXCELLENT phrasing, before ending in an energetic flurry of notes.

                      Wishing Well - Most of the solo is played "backwards" on the recording, and I wish I knew what it really sounded like. But maybe that's part of the charm, because when the solo is turned "forwards" again near the beautiful end, it becomes all the more effective.

                      Shock Wave - Fast and furious with a hot wah-sound, and the end sounds a bit like Randy Rhoads as I said in another thread.

                      Planet Caravan - Very simple and tasteful jazz improv.

                      Tomorrow's Dream - I don't know why, but I'm always floored by this solo. It's short, extremely simple, and comes in at just the right time. Once you learn how to slide around between frets on the guitar, this solo is endlessly fun to play.
                      Never really noticed the backmasking in Wishing Well, I like it when people do that, especially when people actually think out the piece forwards, and then play it backwards. One of my favorite examples has to be I'm Only Sleeping from Revolver, every single note on electric guitar is reversed and slowed down a semitone, giving a dark, but relaxing tone. As for Planet Caravan, it's one of the few instances where Tony's trying to give a relaxed vibe to a song with electric guitar and vocals instead of trying to shred and show off, and even though it is easily the worst song off Paranoid (that's not saying much as every track is like a work of art) and it's boring as hell to play on guitar because until the solo, you're playing one quick 5 second riff over and over again, the solo's amazing and the song gives off a nice feel, almost like as if it's coming from a tropical island, while not going too far away from the traditional Black Sabbath style. For the rest of these, I say nothing special, though I am curious if you play Tommorow's Dream in standard or it's intended tuning of somewhere in between C# and D. Remember, some of the best Sabbath songs don't need a solo. Electric Funeral and Cornucopia are perfect examples.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I have NEVER heard that Wishing Well solo was played/recorded backwards... and I don't believe it....LOL! Someone please do a fact check on that, I have to see to believe. It is a great solo and played forwards... IMO. But I'll stand to be corrected if someone can.
                        "Music is so sacred to me that I canít hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
                        R. Blackmore

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by handofdoom1963 View Post
                          Never really noticed the backmasking in Wishing Well, I like it when people do that, especially when people actually think out the piece forwards, and then play it backwards. One of my favorite examples has to be I'm Only Sleeping from Revolver, every single note on electric guitar is reversed and slowed down a semitone, giving a dark, but relaxing tone. As for Planet Caravan, it's one of the few instances where Tony's trying to give a relaxed vibe to a song with electric guitar and vocals instead of trying to shred and show off, and even though it is easily the worst song off Paranoid (that's not saying much as every track is like a work of art) and it's boring as hell to play on guitar because until the solo, you're playing one quick 5 second riff over and over again, the solo's amazing and the song gives off a nice feel, almost like as if it's coming from a tropical island, while not going too far away from the traditional Black Sabbath style. For the rest of these, I say nothing special, though I am curious if you play Tommorow's Dream in standard or it's intended tuning of somewhere in between C# and D. Remember, some of the best Sabbath songs don't need a solo. Electric Funeral and Cornucopia are perfect examples.
                          I don't think Tony trys to shred and show off he has a lot of solos that are anything but, what he does do on almost all his solos is put thought and feeling in and mixes in some flash.
                          "Music is so sacred to me that I canít hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
                          R. Blackmore

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Wicked Cricket View Post
                            I don't think Tony trys to shred and show off he has a lot of solos that are anything but, what he does do on almost all his solos is put thought and feeling in and mixes in some flash.
                            What I meant to say is that most of his solos have a fast, speedy pace and that it is nice to see him slow it down for once in Planet Caravan and it's also nice to see some jazz inspired improv.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by handofdoom1963 View Post
                              Never really noticed the backmasking in Wishing Well, I like it when people do that, especially when people actually think out the piece forwards, and then play it backwards. One of my favorite examples has to be I'm Only Sleeping from Revolver, every single note on electric guitar is reversed and slowed down a semitone, giving a dark, but relaxing tone. As for Planet Caravan, it's one of the few instances where Tony's trying to give a relaxed vibe to a song with electric guitar and vocals instead of trying to shred and show off, and even though it is easily the worst song off Paranoid (that's not saying much as every track is like a work of art) and it's boring as hell to play on guitar because until the solo, you're playing one quick 5 second riff over and over again, the solo's amazing and the song gives off a nice feel, almost like as if it's coming from a tropical island, while not going too far away from the traditional Black Sabbath style. For the rest of these, I say nothing special, though I am curious if you play Tommorow's Dream in standard or it's intended tuning of somewhere in between C# and D. Remember, some of the best Sabbath songs don't need a solo. Electric Funeral and Cornucopia are perfect examples.
                              I play Tomorrow's Dream tuned somewhere around C# and D (never bothered to check precisely), because that's what I believe is the tuning of the rest of the song (it mostly shows during "when sadness fills my day...", as Tony plays a D major chord as x-x-0-2-3-2 and then moves the triad up to x-x-0-5-6-5. Also, I think there are some live clips where you can see him play every D chord variation in that position). Also, I think it's easier to get close to Tony's tone on that solo with looser strings, but that's just my opinion.

                              Originally posted by Wicked Cricket View Post
                              I have NEVER heard that Wishing Well solo was played/recorded backwards... and I don't believe it....LOL! Someone please do a fact check on that, I have to see to believe. It is a great solo and played forwards... IMO. But I'll stand to be corrected if someone can.
                              That's just what I think it sounds like, I can't prove it I guess you would need the master tapes for the lead guitar only, reverse it and add to the song in order to know.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X