Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New fuzz-driven Sabbath inspired EP by Thermate

Hi guys!

My band Thermate released a new 6 song EP yesterday. Thermate is a heavy/stoner rock inspired band from Finland. You can find the EP from the links below. Give it a spin, let me know what you think, and please share/follow us and help us spread the word if you can, it really helps. Cheers!

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOL7ch_dY4s
    Bandcamp: https://thermate.bandcamp.com/
    Spotify: https://play.spotify.com/album/1cNWi7NO40hYc73ljDjxNV
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Thermate

So...here's the thing:

Someone comes along and is all like "Hey guys, here's my stuff, check it out!" and 99% of the time it's hopeless. No song structure, bad lyrics, bad vocals, hacky guitar tone, terrible mix.

So it is with great hesitation and cynicism I took the bait and clicked on to your youtube channel, headphones in place.

Your music said to me "Fuck you, and your shitty cynicism. We are Thermate and we are crushing your worldview with our power and might." (Note: no need for an exclamation point. The music itself is the exclamation.)

Just fucking awesome.

Just a couple of notes, nitpicking, really...

Drums could use a little widening and just a gentle massage of subtle compression and verb. But fuck me and my shitty opinion, see above re: awesome.

Guitar Tone: I, personally, am not a fan of the "Retro Fuzz, hey no really, we're retro...please notice we're retro" I'd much prefer a tone that either just frankly steals from "Paranoid" and calls it a day. That retro fuzz sounds like a blown amp coupled with digital clipping. But fuck me and my shitty opinion, this stuff is awesome. Can't stress that enough.

Production: Would love the R.Guitar doubled and panned hard l and hard r which is traditional for Hard Rock/Metal. As it is, I'm hearing R.Guitar mostly in Left. Maybe it's just my cans?
    Vocals: Great vocalist, can't stress that enough. Very 70's feel without being a parody. I suggest remembering it's okay to double or even triple track vocals sometimes to give them a sense of urgency and transcendence. Disagree? Try to listen to "Iron Man" live versus Studio and tell me you don't ask yourself "Why do I even like this song?" when listening to the live version...it's the lack of multi-tracked vocals, it changes everything! That said, it's not always warranted. But fuck me and my shitty opinion, it's awesome as it is.

So those are my nitpicks of what is essentially a 10 out of 10. It's like I'm telling Christina Hendricks to drop ten pounds...forget it, I'm already on top of it ten pounds heavier, if you get my meaning.

Comment

Listened to it today, saw the review above, knew I was at the right place.

I had a blast with it, loved it when the bass got to come forward and join in the party. I also listened to the 2016 EP, liked this vocal mix better.

Great stuff, I wouldn't mind more Hammond organ or a muscle car on the cover.

And now you know which review I left on the video page.

Comment

Boy, I'm sure taking it on the chin at Youtube for my positive, 10/10 review! I guess I was verbose and trying to be compelling and offer thoughts...Jesus H. Christmas....I'm the world's biggest asshole, evidently.
        Where in the hell is the OP, anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by William_the_Bloody View Post
          Boy, I'm sure taking it on the chin at Youtube for my positive, 10/10 review! I guess I was verbose and trying to be compelling and offer thoughts...Jesus H. Christmas....I'm the world's biggest asshole, evidently.
          Where in the hell is the OP, anyway?
          Yeah, I had to turn off getting comment replies from that video. I think you are accurate that anything more than "Great album! Dude! This rocks!" will go right over the heads of most of the folks that will leave comments.

Lesson learned, I suppose...

Comment

Working...
          X