Lamb of God

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lamb of God

So who else on here likes Lamb of God? I didn't really like them a year or two ago, but now I own their entire discography. I really think that they have made a name of themselves in the metal genre. I consider them one of the big bands, not a "newer" band. I honestly rank them up with Sabbath, Maiden, Priest, Metallica, and Pantera as one of the best bands of the genre.
    So live for today
    Tomorrow never comes

Re: Lamb of God

I saw them live once...they didn't do anything for me.

Comment

Musically they are great but the growl vocals turn me off. Why can't they sing and not growl the lines. Does this group have anything to say? And if so I can't understand unless I can read the lyrics.

Comment

I love em Seen them about 5 times.
        7/22/04 - Nashville,TN
        9/2/05 - Charlotte,NC
        5/18/07 - Baltimore, MD
        8/16/08 - Pittsburgh,PA

Comment

I like them. I'm not as big of a fan of their older work as I am the new, but <span style="font-weight: bold">Sacrament</span> fucking rocks my socks.

Originally Posted By: kentuckyfan Musically they are great but the growl vocals turn me off. <span style="text-decoration: underline">Why can't they sing and not growl the lines.</span> Does this group have anything to say? And if so I can't understand unless I can read the lyrics.
          Because, like it or not, but there are bands where clean vocals wouldn't fit their sound. LoG is one of those bands.

Also, growling is a style of singing, tbh.

Comment

Funny how you mention Pantera here cos one of the commonest insults that LoG haters hurl at the band is the best these guys ever managed was to sound like a decent Pantera cover/tribute band. I don't agree too much with that for many reasons.

Ok, now on topic, I've seriously tried out LoG and found they just don't float my boat much, and actually sink it a lot. And LIVE, they annoy me even more. They just don't seem original enough or impressive enough to make me take notice and talk them up to others.

BUT, even if they aren't a "new" band, they sure seem to have a lot of "new" fans lately, mainly because as Butt feels, their newer material seems to kick a lot of fans' asses harder and better, and in that, at least, they must be doing some things right to have as many fans as they do, today.

kentuckyfan mentioned the old gripe that just won't ever go away, will it? I'd just say that if they dropped the 'growling' vocals, they'd completely lose whatever bit of my attention they ever got. AND, a majority of growling vocals <span style="text-decoration: underline">naturally </span> require reading the lyric sheet. And again, if you ever bothered to read them all, you'd be surprised to often find acres of lyrical genius in many songs by many different extreme bands.
            "Actors really are the scum of the earth. Their behavior makes arrogant, overpaid rock stars appear positively noble' - Buzz Osborne

Comment

Originally Posted By: The Butt I like them. I'm not as big of a fan of their older work as I am the new, but <span style="font-weight: bold">Sacrament</span> fucking rocks my socks.

Originally Posted By: kentuckyfan Musically they are great but the growl vocals turn me off. <span style="text-decoration: underline">Why can't they sing and not growl the lines.</span> Does this group have anything to say? And if so I can't understand unless I can read the lyrics.
              Because, like it or not, but there are bands where clean vocals wouldn't fit their sound. LoG is one of those bands.

Also, growling is a style of singing, tbh.
              Yep it very much is. Just ask Melissa Cross.
              So live for today
              Tomorrow never comes

Comment

I don't have a problem with that style of vocals. I just don't like that particular vocalist.

And I've seen them live twice - once when I had no idea who they were, once when I'd heard a fair bit of their music.

I like Redneck, other than that even the instrumentals don't impress me.
                http://theramblingelf.tumblr.com/ - my Tumblog (music reviews galore!)
                http://twitter.com/TheRamblingElf - my Twitter
                http://www.facebook.com/rwarrell - my Facebook

Comment

Like RLP I tried to get into them & they just didn't ever latch on to me. One of the weaker aspects I found about the band was their vocals. I love the gruff growling style, but that approach in and of itself isn't the sole reason I like bands that use it. For example one of my favorite vocalists of that type, Cannibal Corpses' vocalist, many times uses polyrhythms in their songs. So he's not always singing on the downbeat. In the right spot it just adds so much more hook and character to their music. It's not just boring barking all the time. The guy from LOG made me laugh the first time I heard them cause he was just so uninteresting. For all the praise they were getting at the time I first heard them, I just couldn't see why.

So I wonder a little if they were to use more of a melodic approach to the vocals, if they could win me over a little more. Then again it's not like they're suffering right now cause I don't like them. And I don't mean to pile on the negativity Bloodshot. It's cool that you changed your tune over a band after some more exposure to them. I've done that quite a bit with other bands. So it's always possible that LOG will evolve a little more into something I can sink my teeth into.

Either way, this is one of those rare instances where I side with the opposition in the Growling/Singing debate.

The best blueberry muffins I ever had landed 6 people in prison, three for life.

Comment

Man I love Lamb of God!!!! Probably the Best band ever. I really do love Sacrament and Ashes of the Wake, I can listen to those albums strait through. Expecially Hourglass, that song has some really crunchy riffs that can Tony Iommi thinking: "Man why did I think of that." As the Palaces Burn is also a good Cd, but not as good Ashes or Sacrament. I really love Ruin, As the Palaces Burn, 11 hour, a Devil if Gods country, and Man you gotta love that killer intro to Vigil. New American Gospel and Burn the Preist where not as good as the late three albums, there are some killer tunes, but the vocals just ruin the album.

BTW, Burn the Priest is Lamb of God's Unofficial first album. They didn't release back then I don't know why, but they change there name to Lamb of God and release New American Gospel. The album was released in 2005.

As for the live album, Killadalphia. Is probably the best way to here the songs than albums. The sound ten times better than the original and I can listen this strait through. Anyway there is my two cents on Lamb of God.

Oh BTW, Lamb of God is releasing a "yet to be title" new album in Feburary 2009 with a brand new producer who I forgot his name.
                    Vic always says 'killing is my business, and business is good'.. He can play the symphony of destruction, after all the worlds needs a hero because the system has failed. Vic is on the killing road to Hangar 18, and he will Take No Prisioners on this holy wars.

Quote by Ray Rules

Comment

Fun Fact: Randy Blythe recorded the vox for New American Gospel in one take, and while intoxicated. That's why the vocals are so bad on that one album, but excellent on the others.

Comment

dev, you have legit reason to side with the <span style="font-style: italic">enemy</span> camp of (<span style="font-style: italic">clean singing </span>fans) on this (hopefully) 'rare' occasion

Now, you're bang on correct about LoG's mediocre vocals, and when I earlier said that if it weren't for the band's growling vocals, I'd have even less interest in them, I basically meant to say that I find LoG's music even poorer than their vocals.

Cannibal Corpse?? ..And I'm guessing that you (with your stated preferences) are probably referring to 'Corpsegrinder' Fisher, though when it comes to CC I'd forever idolise Chris Barnes for the peerlessly phenomenal vocal AND lyrical oomph he lent this mighty dm legend. It should go without saying that second-rate imitators or generic growlers never did cut it with us demanding fans of the genre.

Also, your comment about how Bloodsht came around and changed his mind about LoG and now likes them much more than he initially did sort of makes me wonder how many of us have done the same thing A LOT. Or indeed just the opposite. I mean I reckon that I probably have more bands that I once liked a lot and just don't anymore---than the reverse as in Bloodsht's case, which I'm guessing might actually be more common on this forum board, at least.
                        "Actors really are the scum of the earth. Their behavior makes arrogant, overpaid rock stars appear positively noble' - Buzz Osborne

Comment

I did not know that thanks, The Butt!

Fact: Song O.D.H.G.A.B.F.E Stans for Officer Dick Head Gets A Black Fucking Eye
                          Vic always says 'killing is my business, and business is good'.. He can play the symphony of destruction, after all the worlds needs a hero because the system has failed. Vic is on the killing road to Hangar 18, and he will Take No Prisioners on this holy wars.

Quote by Ray Rules

Comment

I did not know that thanks, The Butt!

Fact: Song O.D.H.G.A.B.F.E Stans for Officer Dick Head Gets A Black Fucking Eye

Quote by Ray Rules

Comment

Yeah RLP, I am a big fan of Fisher, not so much Barnes.
                              And there's TONS of bands I liked for about 5 minutes but lost my favor of them after tiring of their one and only gimmick. I won't name names - so as not to hijack this thread.

the one and only time I did see LOG was as an opener for Cannibal Corpse though. That was a mismatched bill. LOG, Haunted & Cannibal.
                              The best blueberry muffins I ever had landed 6 people in prison, three for life.

Comment

Working...
                              X