Next generation of metal legends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next generation of metal legends

It`s 2020. Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Saxon, Motorhead and Judas Priest have probably all retired.

What bands are the new "elders" flying the flag? Is it the current major acts like Metallica and Down or do you expect some surprises?

I for one think that Megadeth are going to end up even more important than they are now as time goes on.

I also predict lots of old thrash bands having a revival as they enter the niche "see them live because they are legendary forefathers of metal even if you barely know their music". The Saxon and Motorhead position, I guess.

What is left of hair metal will die completely. It just isn`t music that you can play as you age, I think.
    http://theramblingelf.tumblr.com/ - my Tumblog (music reviews galore!)
    http://twitter.com/TheRamblingElf - my Twitter
    http://www.facebook.com/rwarrell - my Facebook

I try not to think of the day that all my favorite bands will no longer be there,because I almost don't listen to all the new bands out there today.I will probably end up still listening to Sabbath,Maiden,Priest till the day I die!!
    Where I was,I had wings that couldn't fly
    Where I was,I had tears I couldn't cry
    My emotions,Frozen in an icy lake
    I couldn't feel them,Until the ice began to break
    Bruce Dickinson-Tears Of The Dragon

Comment

Hard to say. Considereing the last men standing of the 60's british invasion - Daltry, Townshend, Stones, Ringo & McCartney (Man does anyone think The Who & Beatles might as well merge to form one band?). I could see Maiden still being around then. It's only 11, 12 years you're talking. Although Nicko will be close to 70 by then so who knows what they'll do? Def Leppard will be able to maintain their band into their 60's.

Bands where there's a much more physical requirements to the material such as Slayer probably won't be around. I think as much as the material sucks Metallica might've been wise to write less demanding material in their 30's. They will be able to play it in their 60's. That will insure they have material other then Master Of Puppets to play at that time. Megadeth is debatable. Dave just mentioned having some sort of Arthritic condition in his neck a few weeks ago. He's only 45 or so. I guess there's a price to pay in headbanging.

But an active band in 2008, icon in 2020? OPETH for sure, maybe Trivium. Just sort of look at who's ahead of the pack in sales today. It depends on the industry (or if there still is one then) as well.

Time will ultimately tell.
      Last edited by devstorm; 09-07-2008, 03:23 PM.
      The best blueberry muffins I ever had landed 6 people in prison, three for life.

Comment

My band.lol

Comment

Originally posted by devstorm View Post
          Hard to say. Considereing the last men standing of the 60's british invasion - Daltry, Townshend, Stones, Ringo & McCartney (Man does anyone think The Who & Beatles might as well merge to form one band?). I could see Maiden still being around then. It's only 11, 12 years you're talking. Although Nicko will be close to 70 by then so who knows what they'll do? Def Leppard will be able to maintain their band into their 60's.
          My only consideration point there would be that while Sabbath is not a terribly "difficult" band to be a part of I think, there is no way Rob Halford's voice is gonna be as easy to hold up as Daltry's etc.

Bands where there's a much more physical requirements to the material such as Slayer probably won't be around. I think as much as the material sucks Metallica might've been wise to write less demanding material in their 30's. They will be able to play it in their 60's. That will insure they have material other then Master Of Puppets to play at that time. Megadeth is debatable. Dave just mentioned having some sort of Arthritic condition in his neck a few weeks ago. He's only 45 or so. I guess there's a price to pay in headbanging.
          Dave's 47, and yes he has got some neck problems. But I can see him continuing in a more relaxed state. Onstage he's not very mobile, his vocals have never been anything special live...we'll see. Slayer I agree on.

Metallica is an interesting idea. They focus mostly on the 80s/black album/whatever album is newest since Load/ReLoad/St. Anger sold less well. Reckon they might play less 80s songs?

But an active band in 2008, icon in 2020? OPETH for sure, maybe Trivium. Just sort of look at who's ahead of the pack in sales today. It depends on the industry (or if there still is one then) as well.
          Opeth, good call I think. Nightwish too. I love Trivium but can't see people letting that happen.

Comment

...Eh. I don't see Trivium or Nightwish being "Metal legends" in the future, personally. They're pretty hated in the metal community at large.

Comment

Megadeth all the way, and Dave rocked the house while he was here back in 07. As long as he has two hands playing (he didn't at one point due to saturday night pulsey (s/p?)), he can still do it like the rest of them. Doesn't really need to headbang anyway: He proved his kin as a thrash/speed guitar god.

Anthrax is another band that comes to mind.
              "Even with so much bad blood between us... It's funny... Now that I'm actually face to face with him again... The hatred is gone. All I feel is a deep sense of longing. And pity. Did Zero really hate me? Or... Did he fear me?" - Big Boss

Comment

Originally posted by The Butt View Post
                ...Eh. I don't see Trivium or Nightwish being "Metal legends" in the future, personally. They're pretty hated in the metal community at large.
                Trivium, agreed.

Nightwish do polarise opinions sometimes with Anette, but with Tarja you saw far fewer complaints if any at all. They were huge and accepted both by the mainstream and the underground. Those that didn't like them didn't make a big deal out of it, unlike, say, people who hate Trivium make a REALLY big point of it.

Comment

While I hope that Opeth will still be around in 2020, I don't think they'll ever be a "popular" band. Yeah, they got bigger with their latest, but they're not filling stadiums, or arenas for that matter. But I'd still follow them.

A fun thing about the initial post (and no I'm not bitching!) is that 2020 is in 12 years. But 12 years ago, in 1996, you wouldn't have thought much a bright future for Maiden, Priest, Sabbath, Purple....

and Saxon?? I mean seriously, they never flew the flag...

...and Down? a current major act? What are you smoking? I want some!

Comment

Originally posted by TheElfoid View Post
                    Trivium, agreed.

Nightwish do polarise opinions sometimes with Anette, but with Tarja you saw far fewer complaints if any at all. They were huge and accepted both by the mainstream and the underground. Those that didn't like them didn't make a big deal out of it, unlike, say, people who hate Trivium make a REALLY big point of it.
                    I dunno. It might just be where I hang out (UltimateMetal.com forums), but over there, I get the impression that the majority of posters there dislike Nightwish in general.

Originally posted by Saboteur View Post
                    While I hope that Opeth will still be around in 2020, I don't think they'll ever be a "popular" band. Yeah, they got bigger with their latest, but they're not filling stadiums, or arenas for that matter. But I'd still follow them.
                    Opeth are actually really popular among metalheads, mate. Sure, they're not popular to the point of filling stadiums, but disappointingly, that's the case with pretty much any modern metal band nowadays. But if you walk up to any metalhead on the street and ask them who Opeth is, there's a 99.9% chance they'll at least know them.

Comment

Originally posted by Saboteur View Post

Well you know, I once thought the same thing about both Megadeth & Slayer when they were both still playing clubs opening for the likes of King Diamond & Venom. I thought the same thing about System Of A Down. When they were the lowest band on Ozzfest 96 playing in the dirt. And I REALLY thought the same thing about Primus when I saw them in a little bar that barely held 100 people. All these bands through their constant hard touring forced the public to deal with them. And once that happened they were all accepted within mainstream music outlets. It took Slayer quite a while to get where they've gotten. Maybe the longest out of all mentioned.
                      But if they can, Opeth can. It just depends on if they want to.

Either way glad to know you'll be there along with me and many others.
                      The best blueberry muffins I ever had landed 6 people in prison, three for life.

Comment

For me, this is honestly a tough call...I mean, my personal universe revolves almost totally around extreme metal, a colossal and godly genre where making sane predictions about the literally tons of great bands around and their possible 'longevity; AND 'stature' among fellow fans, a dozen years from now, is almost border-line risky and pointless..

However, I'd happily go out on a limb and be secretly counting on a few extremely gifted "new-ish" contemporaries like Origin, Gorgasm, Cephalic Carnage, Cattle Decapitation, Severe Torture, Pig Destroyer, Psycroptic, Dying Fetus and a few others to be not only still around by 2020, but probably even more powerful, prolific and popular performers than they are today..Then there are signs of some emerging European extreme metallers from previously obscure territory for this type of music like Turkey, Italy, Cyprus, and East Europeans other than the already-renowned Poles...

Of the long-established revered-by-many 'veterans' I actually expect (both emotionally and with a certain crazy gut feeling) to still have awesome legends for the past nearly twenty years, like Suffocation, Immolation, Cannibal Corpse, Morbid Angel, Vital Remains and a few more; also even perhaps the earlier-cited Polish bunch like Decapitated, Vader and Behemoth and I'm sure an indefatigable colossus a la Napalm Death---to not only survive but continue to keep the formidably-loved extreme metal banner proudly aloft and abuzz with promise, twelve years from now..

In the meantime, what I'm hoping for most as I write this is that exciting, emerging new heavy-hitters of death metal, grindcore, thrash or hardcore are busy practising their stuff to unleash on us unsuspecting greedy fans from NOW onto 2020..
                        "Actors really are the scum of the earth. Their behavior makes arrogant, overpaid rock stars appear positively noble' - Buzz Osborne

Comment

I don't think there will be any music acts that will be as big as the three godfathers in 2020. Look Slayer, Megadeth, Metalica are all in there 40's and except Metalica they won't be a big draw. Megadeth has broke up once and was re made with different memebers than there heyday. Slayer just put out an album once every 2-3 years and have slowed down the touring the past 5 years. Do to the changes in the music industry the pasty decade, music will be in the small clubs with the bands not releasing cd as we know them but song for download from there web site. With fuel at $4 a gallon in America and in 20 years it will be so expensive that tickets prices will be out of reach to most people. Music in 2020 will be the latest version of an mp3/ipod ect... with the downloads from websites and mayve a show or two at a local club. The corporations have a strangle hold here in America and if you arn't American Idol, pop country or an older group there isn't much out for concerts. I have asked the question a few times before who and where will the future stars of music come from. The answer I have is there won't be the big acts like we know them now. In 2020 U2 will be the biggest act on the planet and only if they continue to make a new record each 2-3 years and do a big tour.

Comment

Originally posted by kentuckyfan View Post
                            I don't think there will be any music acts that will be as big as the three godfathers in 2020. Look Slayer, Megadeth, Metalica are all in there 40's and except Metalica they won't be a big draw.
                            I think the one band to look at in terms of a rapid change, is Iron Maiden in 1993 doing a "farewell Bruce" tour (a big deal at the time) and comparing it to 2003's greatest hits tour. Having toured in 99, 00 and 01, the 03 tour wasn't really a big deal and did not have a new album behind it, but it was still vastly bigger and was only 10 years later.

That said, it was an exception. It might be possible but it's not common I agree.

Megadeth has broke up once and was re made with different memebers than there heyday.
                            Megadeth's so-called "Classic line-up" (Friedman, Ellefson and Menza) were responsible for some less good releases. The band peaked and declined with them, they only did Rust in Peace (1990) and Countdown to Extinction (1992) together then faced a big decline in quality. They have certainly been on the rise in popularity ever since the reunion, much bigger than during the prior several years of unpopularity. I think starting from scratch was agreat thing for Mustaine to do.

Slayer just put out an album once every 2-3 years and have slowed down the touring the past 5 years.
                            We're comparing them to older bands. Older bands - Maiden, Ozzy, Priest, Saxon, Motorhead, Sabbath - all release albums much less frequently. Slayer have been releasing albums very infrequently since 1990, anyway.

Do to the changes in the music industry the pasty decade, music will be in the small clubs with the bands not releasing cd as we know them but song for download from there web site.
                            Actually concerts are bigger than ever in Western Europe, Scandinavia and the UK. Everyone is spending less money on CDs and has more to spend on gigs. At the same time, developing markets - Eastern Europe, India, South America - can increasingly afford more concerts. The age of paying for recorded music is almost at an end though, yes.

The corporations have a strangle hold here in America and if you arn't American Idol, pop country or an older group there isn't much out for concerts. I have asked the question a few times before who and where will the future stars of music come from. The answer I have is there won't be the big acts like we know them now. In 2020 U2 will be the biggest act on the planet and only if they continue to make a new record each 2-3 years and do a big tour.
                            I agree I can't picture bands growing to the level that the forefathers of rock music have, but atthe same time I think that right now you've not noticed bands like Iron Maiden, Metallica, Buckcherry, Wolfmother, Trivium, Nightwish making big waves around the world.

Comment

I could see Children Of Bodom and Cradle Of Filth in 2020!I would also love young bands like Airbourne and Black Tide continue to get bigger.
                              Where I was,I had wings that couldn't fly
                              Where I was,I had tears I couldn't cry
                              My emotions,Frozen in an icy lake
                              I couldn't feel them,Until the ice began to break
                              Bruce Dickinson-Tears Of The Dragon

Comment

Working...
                              X