Announcement

Collapse

Google Ads Question

Hey gang. I just posted something asking about Google Ads on my website. I'd like people's input (and help possibly) on this. Please go over here and have a read:

https://www.black-sabbath.com/vb/for...ads#post645883

--- Joe
See more
See less

A Zeppelin without Plant?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by devilmaycare View Post
    It's not Zeppelin without Bonzo... Without Plant it would be laughable...
    I'd say I agree wholeheartedly with devilmaycare, though I might substitute the word criminal for laughable.
    How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them.
    --Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by devilmaycare View Post
      I've always admired Plant for his stance on this since Bonham's death... He's never played too heavily on the Led Zep connection, and he - like Jones - has tried to craft a solo career that can stand outside the shadow of Zep... and I'm delighted he's released this statement on his official site...
      It's not so much the idea of LZ with a different singer that bothers me - after all, the other bands of the "Great Four" have gone through numerous singers - but the timing. LZ did release like eight albums with the same singer and same lineup (sounds familiar?) but (most) people came to terms with Sabbath sans Ozzy... in 1980. However, drafting a new singer after years and years of holding to the legacy in spite of the band's break up smells of a desperate attempt to cash-in on the reunion buzz of 2007.

By the way devilmaycare, what a cool avatar you have there.
      Last edited by Rover; 11-06-2008, 04:35 AM. Reason: typo
      "There's only one Black Sabbath... I like to call him Tony Iommi" - racer

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
        It's not so much the idea of LZ with a different singer that bothers me - after all, the other bands of the "Great Four" have gone through numerous singers - but the timing. LZ did release like eight albums with the same singer and same lineup (sounds familiar?) but (most) people came to terms with Sabbath sans Ozzy... in 1980. However, drafting a new singer after years and years of holding to the legacy in spite of the band's break up smells of a desperate attempt to cash-in on the reunion buzz of 2007.
        Totally agree. It'd be the same if The Beatles "reformed" with Paul, Ringo, Julian Lennon and some other bloke!

I think they should definitely tour with a different singer if Plant doesn't want to do it, but under a new name with some new material to give the band its own identity.
        >>TECHNICI腘S 諪 SP臗E
        SHIP E臨TH THIS IS
        Y周R C腜T臝N SPE腒ING
        Y周R 嘏PT臝N IS DEA˝D<<

Comment

I wish people would stop saying "Zeppelin without Plant and Bonham isn't Zeppelin" since without Plant's approval I doubt they can call themselves Zeppelin anyway.

Heard of Echo Vault/Chickenfoot? Sammy Hagar, Michael Anthony, Joe Satriani, Chad Smith. They'll be doing Van Halen songs (Hagar sang and sometimes played rhythm guitar for Van Halen, Michael Anthony provided bass and backing vocals), Satriani songs (on which he played the guitar) and Red Hot Chilli Peppers songs (Smith is best known for drumming with the RHCPs).

They'll be doing their own material too. But personally I am not gonna hear them do a VH song and say "It's not Van Halen without Eddie". I'm gonna probably end up thinking "Wow, I love Satriani's take on that".

It's a band of great musicians playing great songs with creative control resting in the hands of the main creator of those songs (Page) and one of his closest collaborators (Jones). I mean, if Page's history is anything to go on (playing Zeppelin songs without a vocalist other than on tours with Plant or Coverdale), he's gonna pick someone who sounds similar to do it rather than a significantly different singer (like when Blaze Bayley joined Iron Maiden or in the case of Queen+Paul Rodgers) and can pull it off.

There's been stories about Tyler doing it? http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=uQhsiUR9CPU. That's a rough, not very rehearsed performance by a line-up of musicians without a lot of experience playing together without the direction and guidance of Page and Jones. And it's still good enough to leave me thinking someone could pull this job off. Tyler might not even be the best fit for the job, but that's an example of how a vocalist can do the job well enough to make it enjoyable. Sure it's not as good as Plant could do it, but it's still damn entertaining.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=aAYgZH3li6Y
          http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=yV5dOFkGltQ
          http://theramblingelf.tumblr.com/ - my Tumblog (music reviews galore!)
          http://twitter.com/TheRamblingElf - my Twitter
          http://www.facebook.com/rwarrell - my Facebook

Comment

I wish people would stop saying "Zeppelin without Plant and Bonham isn't Zeppelin" since without Plant's approval I doubt they can call themselves Zeppelin anyway.
            The press are to blame for that with headlines like, "Led Zeppelin may tour without Robert Plant"
            >>TECHNICI腘S 諪 SP臗E
            SHIP E臨TH THIS IS
            Y周R C腜T臝N SPE腒ING
            Y周R 嘏PT臝N IS DEA˝D<<

Comment

Originally posted by TheElfoid View Post
              That would be up to Pagey... but I don't think he would...

Heard of Echo Vault/Chickenfoot? Sammy Hagar, Michael Anthony, Joe Satriani, Chad Smith. They'll be doing Van Halen songs (Hagar sang and sometimes played rhythm guitar for Van Halen, Michael Anthony provided bass and backing vocals), Satriani songs (on which he played the guitar) and Red Hot Chilli Peppers songs (Smith is best known for drumming with the RHCPs).

They'll be doing their own material too. But personally I am not gonna hear them do a VH song and say "It's not Van Halen without Eddie". I'm gonna probably end up thinking "Wow, I love Satriani's take on that".
              Nobody is questioning Page & JPJ's right to play the songs... Just the naming of the project if it happens. Satriani & Hagar aren't going under the name Van Halen are they? Page did a whole tour and two double live albums with the Black Crowes doing Zep stuff & it was fantastic but they didn't call it Led Zeppelin!

It's a band of great musicians playing great songs with creative control resting in the hands of the main creator of those songs (Page) and one of his closest collaborators (Jones). I mean, if Page's history is anything to go on (playing Zeppelin songs without a vocalist other than on tours with Plant or Coverdale), he's gonna pick someone who sounds similar to do it rather than a significantly different singer (like when Blaze Bayley joined Iron Maiden or in the case of Queen+Paul Rodgers) and can pull it off.
              Page doesn't really have a history of touring without a vocalist... John Miles sang Zep tunes on the Outrider tour. He did Stairway & a couple of others in instrumental form on that tour plus a couple of charity shows (I remember the Ronnie Lane tribute show in London), but he's never been particularly shy of letting other vocalists loose with LZ numbers...

I think the jury may be out on whether Queen/ Rodgers can 'pull it off'... the gig I saw was shocking & May/Taylor sang a LOT of the Queen stuff... What I've heard of the new album is just horrible, which is a shame because I love Rodger's voice. His Hendrix stuff with Neal Schon is awesome.

There's been stories about Tyler doing it? http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=uQhsiUR9CPU. That's a rough, not very rehearsed performance by a line-up of musicians without a lot of experience playing together without the direction and guidance of Page and Jones. And it's still good enough to leave me thinking someone could pull this job off. Tyler might not even be the best fit for the job, but that's an example of how a vocalist can do the job well enough to make it enjoyable. Sure it's not as good as Plant could do it, but it's still damn entertaining.
              I've seen Tyler jam with Page a few times... It works... and I'd go see them, but I don't think either would be comfortable calling it Led Zeppelin.

Yeah... Seen 'em. okay, but nothing special. I was at one show where they played Led Zep 1 from start to finish... when the (very ordinary) guitarist got out the violin bow during Dazed & Confused, it was truly embarrassing.

I'd love to see Page & JPJ go out and play Zep stuff with a great vocalist but the fact remains that no matter what those desperate enough to call it Zeppelin say (usually those who didn't get a chance first time round, or even last November)... IT AIN'T!
              Last edited by devilmaycare; 11-06-2008, 11:04 PM.

Comment

There's no Zeppelin without Plant just like there's no Zeppelin without John Bonham. They need to stop tarnishing their legacy and just let their music they recorded keep on captivating people and inspiring people. Why do they even feel the need to reunite under the name Led Zeppelin?

Comment

Originally posted by soonerfan28 View Post
                  Why do they even feel the need to reunite under the name Led Zeppelin?
                  $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$
                  How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them.
                  --Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Franklin View Post
                    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$
                    All the more reason to find them more overrated than any other band then...to me anyway.
                    "Even with so much bad blood between us... It's funny... Now that I'm actually face to face with him again... The hatred is gone. All I feel is a deep sense of longing. And pity. Did Zero really hate me? Or... Did he fear me?" - Big Boss

Comment

Well my take on all of this mess is the dollar signs. I would really like to see what the sales of Zepplin and the solo stuff from the members have increased the past few months since the Zepplin reunion talk began. I belive Jimmy Page is close to if not 70 years old and the rest of them are into their 60's. Could they be doing this stuff so they can sell a few million units of Zepplin stuff to re fill their bank accounts?!?!?!?! Just a thought.

ps Plant is on tour with a real HOTTIE why would he join up with the rest of the old dudes when he has her for " fishy " time after each show?!?!?!?!

Comment

Originally posted by 8bit Fighter View Post
                        All the more reason to find them more overrated than any other band then...to me anyway.
                        yeah... cos Ozzy drags out Iommi and Butler every couple of years out of pure brotherly love right?

Comment

John Paul Jones talking about the situation recently: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=dsilRki99fk
                          >>TECHNICI腘S 諪 SP臗E
                          SHIP E臨TH THIS IS
                          Y周R C腜T臝N SPE腒ING
                          Y周R 嘏PT臝N IS DEA˝D<<

Comment

cool. thanks for that Ady... The silent one speaks!

Comment

At least they tour. And one concert? Please, a year of touring and I would let them call it quits afterward.

And while I'm at it, what's the big deal about the younger generation saying that they did see Zeppelin when they probably only saw three guys and the drummer's son. Let them think what they want, you're making sound like it's a crime.
                              Last edited by 8bit Fighter; 11-07-2008, 11:54 PM.
                              "Even with so much bad blood between us... It's funny... Now that I'm actually face to face with him again... The hatred is gone. All I feel is a deep sense of longing. And pity. Did Zero really hate me? Or... Did he fear me?" - Big Boss

Comment

Would have to be under a different moniker, and im sure many would consider it a cover band instead of Zeppelin. Personally, im not much of a zeppelin fan anyways, and it not even having bonzo to begin with is already to much.
                                http://wickedinquisition.bandcamp.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X