Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ACCEPT: Heavy metal heroes to anybody else?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great band, saw them with Iron Maiden. Udo has a great and unique voice. I like Restless and Wild best.

Comment

They were a good band, just nothing they ever did grabbed me. They seemed far too predictable to me, but still a talented group of musicians.

Comment

I wouldn't call them heroes to me, but I used to really like them.

Although Balls to the Wall was the first song I heard and Balls to the Wall was the first album of theirs I bought, Metal Heart was the album that really did it for me. The guitar solos were GREAT!!!

Then Russian Roulette came out, and that left me cold outside of Monsterman, so I started buying the earlier albums. The songs that I enjoyed were Princess of the Dawn , Fast as a Shark, and I'm a Rebel.

Later on I actually bought Eat the Heat, and despite Udo not being there, I did like D Train. That's the only song on it I liked, though.

Haven't listened to them much in the last decade, however.

Comment

one of the best metal bands from the 80's (i know their first album is from 70's but everyone thinks of them as 80's metal band). easily top 3 metal bands of 80's

Comment

I'm German - so no doubt about Accept being a Metal Legend. I like their precise and heavy riffs that hit you straight into the nu.. Singer Udo Dirkschneider still does great albums with his own band named "U.D.O.". They took the heavier parts of Accept and still keep on rockin'.

Good old Hard Rock made in Germany. That's how it sounds like. I think I have to listen to "Fast as a shark" now. What a killer!
            Program the brain not the heartbeat

Comment

Originally posted by Scar View Post
              I'm German - so no doubt about Accept being a Metal Legend. I like their precise and heavy riffs that hit you straight into the nu.. Singer Udo Dirkschneider still does great albums with his own band named "U.D.O.". They took the heavier parts of Accept and still keep on rockin'.

Good old Hard Rock made in Germany. That's how it sounds like. I think I have to listen to "Fast as a shark" now. What a killer!
              I'm not German, but am German-descended (Rhineland, Alsace and Swiss-German, actually) and speak the language well enough to get by.

For many years, DEUTSCHLAND was indeed the centre of the heavy metal world:
              • Accept (of course!)
              • U.D.O.
              • Scorpions
              • Michael Schenker
              • Trance
              • Grave Digger
              • Ulrich Roth

So many excellent guitarists came out of Germany - the Schenker brothers, Ulrich Roth, Joerg Fischer, Wolf Hoffmann, Matthias Jabs, Hermann Frank...

Rock 'N Roll may have been born here in America but Germany helped perfect it.

I didn't know that Udo still had his U.D.O. band together. I used to have the Animal House album.

I have Restless And Wild, Balls To The Wall and Metal Heart. The other albums are very hard to find here except on import. I want to add Breaker, Russian Roulette, Objection Overruled, Predator and Death Row to my collection, but they're very expensive here.

I was fortunate enough to see both Accept and Scorpions live back in the '80s.
              He is not here. He has risen!

Comment

Hey man, cool thing you speak German. All the dudes and band you mentioned are still in business in Germany (well, don't know about Trance, but the others are still rockin').

Yeah, U.D.O. ist still alive. The Band releases new albums every 2 years. Udo's Guitar Player ist Stefan Kaufmann, the former Accept - Drummer who had to stop drumming because of health problems. They both are very much into this Metal - based riffing and still rock hard. The last Album "Mastercutor" was released back in 2007, last year there was a live Double - CD called "Mastercutor alive" and a DVD. At the moment, they're in the Studio to work on a new album.

This is U.D.O.s backing catalogue:

Animal house 1987
                Meanmachine 1989
                Faceless world 1990
                Timebomb 1991
                Solid 1997
                No Limits 1998
                Holy 1999
                Man and Machine 2001
                Thunderball 2004
                Mission No. X 2005
                Mastercutor 2007
                Metallized - The Best of 2007

Oh you lucky guy saw Accept and Scorpions when they had their great days. Must have been nice. The Scorpions still are a great band and do albums, but I have th impression that they become more and more famous in Asia. It's a shame that German Music Fans don't care about them, they are more popular outside their homecountry.

Yes, Uli John Roth is a great guitar player, my father's hero. But I must say that his solo works are not my favourites. His style is very different.

Oh and Michael Schenker now became a drunken bastard...what a shame.

What do you think about other German Bands like Edguy or the Avantasia - Project for example? Are they known in the U.S.?
                Program the brain not the heartbeat

Comment

Accept are legends, end of story. Just listen to Staying a Life (Live)..

Even the album they did with another singer, American David Reece - god could that guy sing, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Nightwing View Post
                    Accept are legends, end of story. Just listen to Staying a Life (Live)..

Even the album they did with another singer, American David Reece - god could that guy sing, too.
                    I never heard Staying A Life, but I did have Kaizoku-Ban on cassette.

There was horrible hostility toward David Reece, undeserved I felt, the guy certainly gave it a try, but Udo's growl was so much a part of Accept that anyone trying to slot into his position was going to catch flak.

If Reece would have sang with almost any other band, I think he would have been more appreciated. Like Judas Priest when Halford left (and I like Ripper Owens)...I remember reading a review of Eat The Heat that said it was "the best Judas Priest album Malice never made."

Comment

Reece was invited to audition for Priest but I guess he turned it down, because he didnt want to go into another band as a 'replacement' again.

Staying A Life is just simply a powerful live album by Accept in their prime. Some of the songs on the live album are better than the studio recordings of those songs.

Look on youtube for 'Accept metal heart live' 1985

Comment

My favourite 80's Metal Band . Wolf Hoffman is the most underrated guitar player of all times! Breaker, Restless & Wild, Balls To The Wall, Metal Heart, Russian Roulette, Eat the Heat and Objection Overruled are masterpieces IMHO. I love David Reeces voice ...one of the best voices in hard rock and hugely underrated.

Comment

Originally posted by rideon77 View Post
                          My favourite 80's Metal Band . Wolf Hoffman is the most underrated guitar player of all times! Breaker, Restless & Wild, Balls To The Wall, Metal Heart, Russian Roulette, Eat the Heat and Objection Overruled are masterpieces IMHO. I love David Reeces voice ...one of the best voices in hard rock and hugely underrated.
                          Did anything ever come of Reece after his ill-fated Accept stint?

Joerg Fischer was no slouch either, but since quite a few Accept albums were recorded with only Wolf Hoffmann playing guitar, he's kind of shoved in the background. The same with Hermann Frank Jnr - I don't think he's actually on any Accept studio recording.

Comment

Working...
                          X