"Anvil: The Story Of Anvil"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Anvil: The Story Of Anvil"

Any fans of this cult Canadian '80s heavy metal band around?

I read in USA Today where there has been a movie done about them, like a real life Spinal Tap.

It amazes me, because they were virtually unknown in the U.S. (very few of their albums ever got released here; all the ones I have I bought in Canada), and I think they were even bigger in the U.K. and Europe than in their homeland (they played a couple of outdoor gigs with Black Sabbath in Britain during the Born Again era).

I have very fond memories of blasting Metal On Metal on the back of the school bus during my senior year of high school ('83-'84). We had a cool bus driver who allowed us to do such things as long as she didn't hear it up front. The preppies/jocks at the front of the bus didn't like it...like we cared.
    He is not here. He has risen!

I used to buy second hand records from this market stall during the early to mid-eighties. They were very cheap so I often used to buy blind because of this. One of these purchases was Anvil's debut album, Hard 'N' Heavy.

I remember I really liked its rawness and played it often. I knew next to nothing about them in those pre-internet days though, and don't remember seeing a feature on them in any of the magazines I used to buy. I never bought anything else by them because I never saw anything else by them in the shops.

I haven't played the album in years, but I just looked up the track School Love and it still sounds good: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loFdtPAlzO0
    >>TECHNICINS F SPCE
    SHIP ERTH THIS IS
    YR CPTIN SPEKING
    YR PTIN IS DEA˝D<<

Comment

I somehow really like Anvil, and enjoy their albums just as much today as I did when I first discovered them and began buying their stuff. I know how some people carp--not entirely fairly--- about Anvil being another one of those bands that, while pretty good, sound rather 'monotonous' and 'formulaic' heavy metal/thrash/power metal i.e all their albums sound very much samey-samey and make them an either love/hate sort of act. I don't believe that's much accurate, though. I've got eight of their albums, and I think there's just enough variety in and differences between them to make their full discography worth checking out, for any newbie that enjoys the first few discs.

Hard N' Heavy, Metal on Metal, Forged in Fire, Strength of Steel, Pound for Pound, Worth the Weight (perhaps my favourite), Plugged in Permanent, Absolutely No Alternative...That's all I have on me. I don't have their past 4-5 studio albums (post-'99) ...But I reckon I've got their 'best' ones anyway, so no regrets.

Now, the movie Anvil: The True Story of Anvil, is probably available in Australia, and DiosSword, now that you bring this up, I'm gonna have to seek out reliable info on it soon. I know I'd be interested in getting it. And DS, while there have been quite a bunch more of rather excitingly good yet under-rated Canadian speed/thrash/(power) metallers, since you mention Anvil, I'm instantly reminded of speed metal pioneering legends Exciter, a band I like even greater.
      Last edited by RLP4ever; 04-12-2009, 08:45 AM.
      "Actors really are the scum of the earth. Their behavior makes arrogant, overpaid rock stars appear positively noble' - Buzz Osborne

Comment

I like their early and classic stuff.Forged In Fire is one of the best heavy metal albums of all time!I'll try to find this movie.
        .:I HOPE I'LL DIE BEFORE I GET OLD:.
        ...fictional suduction on a black snow sky,sadness kills the superman,even fathers cry...

Comment

I saw Anvil back in the day at Donnington. Nothing special really, but an honest, fun band.

The movie is heartbreaking and funny and very very cool all at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by devilmaycare View Post
            I saw Anvil back in the day at Donnington. Nothing special really, but an honest, fun band.
            Coincidently...

The much talked about, greatly publicised Anvil come back to Donington after an incredible 27 year gap, having performed at 1982s Monsters of Rock Festival. Their film Anvil! The Story of Anvil directed by Sacha Gervasi, opened to great reviews last week, the story of real-life members of the band, Steve "Lips" Kudlow and Robb Reiner, touching the hearts of every single rock-wannabe. Their Download performance is sure to be very, very special.
            http://www.downloadfestival.co.uk/li...a-8546513eab84
            >>TECHNICINS F SPCE
            SHIP ERTH THIS IS
            YR CPTIN SPEKING
            YR PTIN IS DEA˝D<<

Comment

Originally posted by RLP4ever View Post
              Now, the movie Anvil: The True Story of Anvil, is probably available in Australia, and DiosSword, now that you bring this up, I'm gonna have to seek out reliable info on it soon. I know I'd be interested in getting it. And DS, while there have been quite a bunch more of rather excitingly good yet under-rated Canadian speed/thrash/(power) metallers, since you mention Anvil, I'm instantly reminded of speed metal pioneering legends Exciter, a band I like even greater.
              Both of these Canadian outfits must have had at least a cult following in Australia, right? I remember my Victorian '80s penpal Michele (; what is it in your country's genetics that produces beautiful women?!) being a fan of both.

I have owned Hard 'N Heavy, Metal On Metal, Forged In Fire, Backwaxed, and Strength Of Steel, all on vinyl, except Strength Of Steel on cassette. Currently I just have Metal On Metal and Forged In Fire on CD. I bought all of those, except Strength Of Steel, in Canada. I think the only Anvil that got U.S. release was Strength Of Steel and Pound For Pound. I will probably have to see the new movie in Canada; fortunately, I live a border-crossing away from a major cineplex.

Exciter - I remember getting Heavy Metal Maniac when I was 17 (1983) and annoying hell out of people by playing it full blast. No production to speak of, but man, it was heavy! I've also owned Violence And Force, Long Live The Loud and Unveiling The Wicked. Oddly, those all had U.S. release, so I don't know what the problem was with Anvil, especially considering how many bands (Metallica, Slayer, Anthrax, etc.) have acknowledged their influence.
              He is not here. He has risen!

Comment

I loved Exciter

and just got their new one today !!

Comment

Working...
                X