"paul rodgers done with queen"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "paul rodgers done with queen"

"The next time Rodgers tours, it probably won’t be with Queen. After spending a lot of time with them the past couple years, it seems he’s amicable parted ways with the legendary group. "
    http://www.brianmay.com/queen/queenn...may09a.html#01

*Gasp, shock, horror!*
    I wonder if the 10 ton ghost of Freddie was too heavy for this band to bear... unfortunately. Just when they seemed to have found a new beginning... or am I delusional?
    "There's only one Black Sabbath... I like to call him Tony Iommi" - racer

I wondered how long it would last. There are very few singers whose shoes I would call unfillable, but Freddie was one of them.

I have nothing against Paul Rodgers at all. He's a fine singer, and I like Free and Bad Company, though he's done some odd stuff (The Law) and some over-rated stuff (The Firm). However, he's much, much more in the British hard-blues vein, gravel-whisky-ciggies voice, and Freddie was anything but that.

I'm glad it was an amicable split with Brian and Roger, though.

Maybe he'd be up to doing a guest vocal on Tony Iommi's next solo effort?
    He is not here. He has risen!

Comment

that was the best thing he could do!!!!!!!!!!
      i really like Paul Rodgers as vocalist of Bad Company...
      but as Vocalist Of QUEEN, i must say that i really Hated him!!!!!... i can't stand him doing QUEEN songs...
      its not just because FREDDIE MERCURY is unreplaceble!!!!... I saw Elton John and George Michael singing QUEEN songs but they were much better than Paul... he did a terrible sing with The Show Must Go On...
      i hope that Brian and Roger don't try to do that again, but if they really wanted to, its just better to do it with someone better than Paul, like Geroge Michael....
      whatever, i can' t promise that i would like him doing QUEEN songs too...

Comment

i know of this, it's a shame, i like him, his voice, his stage presence. if it wasn't for him i never would have seen brian and roger. he wasn't replacement for freddie, how can you replace irreplacable?

Comment

Hopefully Ritchie Blackmore will reform Rainbow then and finally get to work with his favourite singer! I know that the chance of that happening are akin to that of a snowman in hell, but one can always dream
          http://www.last.fm/user/sirkenneth

http://xkcd.com/386/

Comment

I got to say that I liked the new album, but it was still weird hearing him sing the classics. Freddie is one of those you just can't replace.
            http://www.last.fm/user/MusicFan91

Comment

The Queen + Paul Rodgers thing reminds me of what some people say about Black Sabbath after 1979. There are many people complaining that it just isn't right without Freddie.

Well, Freddie is no longer with us, so the Queen lineup we all know and love will never make new music again.

However, I am very happy to have been treated to new music by Brian May, Roger Taylor, Paul Rodgers, and Danny Miranda. I don't care if they called it Queen or Mashed Potatoes - Thanks to them for making such fine music.

Comment

I respectfully disagree about the comparison. Sabbath never ceased to exist only to be reborn later - it was, more or less, a continuous flow of albums (and lineups of course).
                I think that comparing Queen to Led Zeppelin would be more accurate... and it was amplified by the facts that:
                a) the deceased member in question was not the drummer but the frontman, and an iconic one to boot;
                b) the bass player has also changed;
                c) the band in question showed every intent of continuing, including the studio album released.
                So it was predictable that the resurgence of the band would be met with far greater backlash than the Sabbath continuing with new members. I'm not into Queen at all so I don't know how the record they put out lately compares to their previous output, but I think that both the band's nucleus and Rodgers were fed up of the "it aint queen without freddie" attitudes. Once again in music history the past gets in the way of the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                  I think that both the band's nucleus and Rodgers were fed up of the "it aint queen without freddie" attitudes. Once again in music history the past gets in the way of the future.
                  agreed

Comment

He looked bored during the shows of the last tour. I just knew he wasn't going to come back, and Bad Company have reformed.
                    www.myspace.com/phille_666

Comment

Originally posted by Lemmy Butler View Post
                      He looked bored during the shows of the last tour. I just knew he wasn't going to come back, and Bad Company have reformed.
                      For only 10 shows in 2009.
                      http://www.last.fm/user/MusicFan91

Comment

I'm quite glad really. Although the music ranged from Great to Meh on the album, using the name Queen in any sense was a big mistake - when you think Queen you think Freddie. It wasn't like Freddie quit or was sacked - for me circumstances play a big part.

I always viewed it as being a May/Rodgers/Taylor project and in that context it was ok and with the album gained alot of credibility but it was never Queen - the Queen name was being used because neither Brian May nor Rodger Taylor succeeded as solo artist's so this was a way to top-up the pension kitty.

Another plus is that this might end May's/Taylor's bastardisations of classic songs - why ruin classic songs when you have Paul Rodgers as a frontman? Nobody should have touched "Days of our Lives" but if it had to be sung - why not PR? His voice would have worked very well here but no - Rodger Taylor killed this song along with Radio Gaga - heck the only goodthing there was the drum machine

I will admit that Paul Rodgers did well on some Queen classics (Fat Bottomed Girls, Tie Your Mother Down, A Kind of Magic and Another One Bites The Dust come to mind) - he is a great singer but ultimately I don't think he was really that comfortable and he always looked happier covering his own earlier works.

Paul Rodgers will have more success solo/with Bad Compamy because there will be no stigma and he won't be in someone elses shadow. He deserves the success, he is a great singer and fronman with strong presence and charisma - a constant hard-worker who sounds better now than in the seventies - but this project didn't suit him and I think he has finally admitted it.

This is a case for a band changing names with frontment even if the older material was still to be played - as it would at the very least reduce the stigma.
                        "But that is not the question. Why are we here, that is the question. And we are blessed in this, that we happen to know the answer. Yes, in this immense confusion one thing alone is clear. We are waiting for Godot to come."
                        - Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

“Music does not influence research work, but both are nourished by the same sort of longing, and they complement each other in the release they offer.”
                        —Albert Einstein --- To Paul Plaut, October 23, 1928. AEA 28–065

I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.
                        Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Lemmy Butler View Post
                          I wonder if that one has any future, or is it just another old band reforming to reap some cash off the nostalgic fans?

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                            I wonder if that one has any future, or is it just another old band reforming to reap some cash off the nostalgic fans?
                            I think its a cash grab. A limited 10 city run could possibly maxamize any profits that the band makes from the tour.

It's a shame that Rodgers has been such a journeyman vocalist since he left The Firm. He's in insanely good shape for his age and obviously takes excellent care of himself.

I know Boz is dead, but is this Mick, Simon and Paul with a new bass player? A credible Bad Company, for me, requires those three involved.

Comment

Yeah, these 3 are present.

Comment

Working...
                              X