Lost Van Halen album - "Love Again"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost Van Halen album - "Love Again"

I was reading the Wikipedia entry on Van Halen today, and in the bit about the Gary Cherone album, I read this:

The album was followed by a tour. The III Tour saw Van Halen playing in new countries, including first ever visits to Australia and New Zealand.

Shortly afterwards, Van Halen returned to the studio. In early 1999, they started work on a new album, rumored to be called Love Again. Working titles of songs included "Left for Dead," "River Wide," "Say Uncle," "You Wear it Well," "More Than Yesterday," "I Don't Miss You...Much," "Love Divine," and "From Here, Where Do We Go?".

Van Halen's new album was finished when Cherone left amicably in November 1999.
    That was ten years ago, and I don't remember hearing about that before. I don't follow Van Halen nearly as well as I do Sabbath, but something like that you'd think I'd remember. I don't.

Anyway, I'm rather partial to the Gary Cherone album. It's no "VH1", or "Fair Warning", but it's not like it's a shit album. I also saw them on that tour, and it was great, actually. They brought out a lot of old tracks they hadn't played in forever - one of which is an all time VH favorite, "Unchained".

That aside, the fact that there's a completed album with the Gary Cherone incarnation of the band that is unreleased intrigues me. It sort of reminds me of the "Carnival of Souls" situation with Kiss somewhat. But that got widely bootlegged. As far as I know, the "Love Again" album has never appeared anywhere outside of Eddie's studio.

So I decided to read around a bit, and found a few decent links about it. First is this old archived link from the official Van Halen site about it:

http://web.archive.org/web/199910130.../newalbum.html

Second is this thread on a VH fan forum that gets into detail about the album:

http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/say-...ad-t25285.html

The best link in there is this one, which gets into detail about other places tracks have shown up. There's no facts to back that post up, but if authentic, it's a good one.

http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/show...9&postcount=29

Anyone here remember this stuff? I don't.
    Joe Siegler, Webmaster - Black Sabbath Online
    View my CD collection | View my movie collection | What I've been listening to

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels." (Matthew 25:41)

I caught the III tour too... in Sydney. I thought Cherone was pretty much unwatchable but the setlist was - as you say - awesome with Cherone doing what Hagar was unwilling to do & Roth unable, and tackling a lot of stuff from all the era of the band.

I thought the album itself was an absolute crock though.

The Tribe of Judah album that is spoken about "Exit Elvis" is pretty good. EVH certainly doesn't show up on the writing credits though, which begs the question just how much these songs changed from the VH recordings...

Comment

This is news to me about the album, but I am a bit more casual of a VH fan.

VHII is a decent album. I liked Extreme, so Cherone was not that big a deal for me. It does not feel or sound like a traditional VH album, and I understand how many dislike the CD. Kind of like BS "Seventh Star," or Zeppelin's "Presence."

I have always looked at the CD as an EVH project with Gary Cherone that happened to include Alex & Mike. Interestingly enough, reading the Wikipedia page, Mike only appeared on 3 of the songs, with Eddie handling most of the bass, so even more support for the project feel of the CD.

I would really like to hear this "Love Again" CD and see if the band was going to stay where they were or go back to a more traditional sound.
      "I can honestly say it’s truly been an honor to play at his side for all these years, his music will live on forever." ~ Tony Iommi (Speaking of Ronnie James Dio)

Comment

The "Exit Elvis" album is SO DIFFERENT to anything VH ever did... If these songs did indeed start their life in the hands of VH, it would have been a much better album than III.

Comment

I had not heard this either, and I think I was reading some Van Halen forums around that time.

Cherone was really set up to fail, band management issues, the album was produced by the guy that wrote the theme to the Rockford Files, songs written for Sammy's voice, which is not comfortable for Gary, and the album had How Many Say I on it.

And despite Gary being considered "too gay" for VH by many of the fans, he gave a lot of himself for the fans, not just pushing for old songs to be performed, but answering fan mail, and always making time for autographs.

---------- Post added at 09:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:07 AM ----------

And if Rock and Roll Cliché did later became It's About Time, well I like that song.

Lot better than the new Van Halen music released since then...since there hasn't been any.

Comment

Odd.

Even more odd is this Warner advance promo I have that includes the song "That's why I love you".

Wonder why they left it off of the final release?

I understand this promo is rare as hell. I recieved mine from a friend in Las Vegas when I lived there. I used to recieve so much free promo shit when I lived there. Now it's hard to find a CD that is still in print!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SabbathAll View Post
              Odd.

Even more odd is this Warner advance promo I have that includes the song "That's why I love you".

I understand this promo is rare as hell. I recieved mine from a friend in Las Vegas when I lived there. I used to recieve so much free promo shit when I lived there. Now it's hard to find a CD that is still in print!!!

My understanding is that it was released on the Japanese version of the CD, as the record label in the US wanted Josephina instead.

Comment

I would have loved an album with David Lee Roth in 1996. "Can't get this stuff no more" and "Me wise magic" was the classic Eddie and Alex solid sound powerhouse groove, great guitar and drum meshing with some inventive dynamics thrown in! Eddie can be a great artist as well as virtuso, getting those sounds and tones out of the guitar.

Comment

1998 Metal edge mag I have with Aerosmith on the cover says in the news report column. After a lukewarm response to the bands first album with Gary Cherone 'III' the band will continue with Gary on a new album in 1999. Also mentions some make up shows due to storms. Hitparader mag in early 1999 mentions them working on a new album and reports at least 2 finished songs are ready to go.
                  Pain and Poison Roses

Comment

Originally posted by SabbathAll View Post
                    Odd.

Do you still have the promo CD?

If so, please email me!
                    Last edited by panama jack; 01-22-2015, 10:50 PM.

Comment

Van Halen III is a really terrible album. I struggle to listen to it all the way through, and I consider myself a pretty big Van Halen fan.

Comment

Working...
                      X