Midnight Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Midnight Oil

Midnight Oil, simply The Oils to us longtime fans, is a true legend in Australian rock music, of the past four decades. Formed in 1972, and originally called Farm, the founding members from Sydney, Rob Hirst (drums), Jim Moginie (lead guitar/keyboards), Martin Rotsey (lead guitar) and Andrew James (bass), later (in 1976), recruited Peter Garrett 'the Giant' as vocalist and renamed the band Midnight Oil. They've had a few personnel changes in the band later, but what soon became plainly evident is the band's extremely inventive, impressive musicianship which quickly culminated in the near-cult status that the Oils achieved among Australia's alternative/hard rock fan community. Midnight Oil often infuse several different musical influences into their own distinct style. It never felt gimmicky, but very original and memorable. Their sound and style has been called many different things, but at bottom, they are a straight-up hard rock band with an attitude and vibe that set them apart from many of their peers. The only thing that makes them "alternative" (as in the common alt-rock label affixed to them) is their distinctiveness from the 'mainstream' rock that got more love and attention from the 'mainstream' music press in Australia.

This is a band with an extremely eventful history for over the past 30+ years, which I wouldn't wanna recount here in any real detail. What's important though, is that Midnight Oil has always been a highly creative bunch of rockers, blessed with superb playing skills, standout songwriting craft, provocative, powerful, compelling lyrics, absolutely phenomenal live performances, and an avowed anti-establishment, anti-music industry manipulators defiance that has earned them 'streed cred' among many fans, everywhere, in and outside Australia. Another one of the enduring appeal of the Oils among fans has been their very convincing and classy ability at expressing a certain all-Australian ethos via their music. A highly politically-minded band, and when the singer Peter Garrett decided to quit music to pursue politics full-time, Midnight Oil apparently disbanded with the other members straying off to side-projects. They had reconvened on and off for benefit concerts, wowing fans, and increasingly articulating and advocating some of their strongly-held political beliefs on local and international affairs----a habit which has inevitably made them the object of scorn and hatred by their opponents and of staunch admiration and support by their backers (like myself). They have a slew of so-called 'political' hit songs. Garrett got back for a brief band reformation early last year, after the calamitious bush fires here in Australia, and the Oils performed in a series of shows to raise funds to donate to charity
    trusts in aid of the fires' victims.

Midnight Oil has released 13 varyingly praised and successful studio records to date, have stormed rock/pop charts in Australia and overseas, resulting in several smash hit singles, and ironically for a band that has battled and brazenly defied the music industry, the mainstream media and label bosses, the Oils have still been awardedd a bevy of various critics' awards, including that from the prestigious Australian Recording Industry Association (ARIA), a body that formally inducted Midnight Oil into its own Hall of Fame, in late 2006.

I have all their albums, save one (Capricornia). And it's kind of hard to name a personal firmfavourite, cos I reckon I like them all in sometimes special and separate ways, though all have the Oils' genius stamped on them. For new fans just starting out with the band, I'd happily recommend any of the following records as a good introduction to this legendary Aussie rock act.

Head Injuries
    10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1
    Red Sails in the Sunset
    Diesel and Dust
    Blue Sky Mining
    Earth and Sun and Moon

Bottom line: for anybody that's ever heard or has any interest in Australian rock music, or even somehow strangely thinks that there's not much beyond AC/DC from Down Under please check out Midnight Oil sometime.

http://www.midnightoil.com/
    http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...ifqxqe5ldte~T1
    Last edited by RLP4ever; 01-18-2010, 08:28 AM.
    "Actors really are the scum of the earth. Their behavior makes arrogant, overpaid rock stars appear positively noble' - Buzz Osborne

I remember Midnight oil - thought they were a good band & saw them once in Austin back when they had the song Beds are burning on the radio - I have greatest hits CD & a couple of their LP's (diesel & dust & Blue Sky mining) - I was always curious as to what happened to them - thanks for letting me know what happened to them - any recommendations as to some of their other LP's to check out?
    At least my hair is all mine, My teeth are my own, but everything else is on a permanent loan I'm on a low budget - Ray Davies

Comment

hey Tom, glad to know that you are acquainted with Midnight Oil and actually liked them, too. Yea, they had disbanded in late 2002, before briefly reuniting, in early '05, to perform fund-raising benefit gigs in aid of the victims of the catastrophic 2004 tsunami, in Asia. And, like I said, they seemed to give the fans a real hope of reforming and hitting the studios and the road again, when they got together and performed early last year in benefit of the victims of the devastating Australian bush fires. Alas, it wasn't to be and the band is currently not giving anybody any hope of reforming and resuming a full-time career in rock, again. Hope they change their mind.

Mate, I see that you have already got the excellent Diesel and Dust and Blue Sky Mining among my earlier 'recs'...Well, you might wanna also give patient, proper listens to the other four of my favourite Oils records I recommended. And, as for some of the other very good Oils albums you might eventually come around to buying, or at least listening to at leisure sometime, are: the s-t debut album, Place without a Postcard, Breathe, Redneck Wonderland, Capricornia (I have to get that one myself), and Flat Chat (an excellent compilation release ('06) of some of the Oils' heavy rock material).

MO also have a few real quality live albums, Scream in Blue from '91-'92 which is a must-have, The Real Thing which is another good one, and the classic Best of Both Worlds featuring complete footage of two separate Oils concerts from the '80s.

Think about what you wanna get next!
      Last edited by RLP4ever; 01-19-2010, 02:56 AM.
      "Actors really are the scum of the earth. Their behavior makes arrogant, overpaid rock stars appear positively noble' - Buzz Osborne

Comment

Originally posted by kamikazetom View Post
        I remember Midnight oil - thought they were a good band & saw them once in Austin back when they had the song Beds are burning on the radio - I have greatest hits CD & a couple of their LP's (diesel & dust & Blue Sky mining) - I was always curious as to what happened to them
        Same here. I remember really liking them as a kid during the 80s. They were huge and they had several big singles, but they seemed to have vanished sometimes during the 90s. Thank you for reminding me of this great band. I'm still singing "Bed are Burning" or "Truganini" under the shower these days. Great songs these two
        Tony Iommi Fact #216: In fact, most demolition companies donít use explosives to collapse buildings, only a good stereo and a copy of ďDehumanizerĒ.
        "Black Sabbath : la BÍte venue de Birmingham"

Comment

I love the band's politics & passion. I was still in London when the Beds Are Burning single hit so new a little before I moved to Sydney. I never really got into the band heavily... the only time I saw them live that I can remember (did they ever play at the Aria's? I went every year during the 90's but the memory is foggy...) was at a secret album launch up at (I think) Whale Beach in the early 90's.

I still chuckle when I see Peter Garrett looking like this

http://www.aph.gov.au/house/members/member.asp?id=HV4

but fuck... how many 'rock stars' truly put their money where their mouths are and really do something, not only to help but actually DO something, give up a career & lifestyle and everything..? Huge kudo's for that Mr Garrett.

On another level, Rob Hirst's mum is/was quite good friends with my mother-in-law... which didn't exactly do much to quell my missus' HUGE crush on him!

Comment

Too funny to see Peter Garret in a suit but I definitely give him props for walking the walk - I have a ton of respect for someone who will run for office to make a change rather than just talk on TV about it

RLP - on your sugguestions I have ordered the scream in blue live CD & Red Sails & 10, 9, 8. I look forward to hearing these & will work on getting the others later - thanks for the sugguestions
            At least my hair is all mine, My teeth are my own, but everything else is on a permanent loan I'm on a low budget - Ray Davies

Comment

^^ Oh, that's swell to hear, Tom. I really hope you find all the discs you just ordered upon my ringing recommendations of them, to be very worth your money and time, and that you enjoy them as greatly as I do. ..I'm gonna order Capricornia this week-end.

You and devilmaycare are stating the obvious about how it's remarkable and stand-out special that Peter Garrett actually acting upon what he believes and preaches. And that he he had the convictions, courage and sincerity to move beyond mere rhetoric or slogans, and actually take the plunge into public service via politics to try and effect the change and progress that he envisions and has always stridently advocated. For me, the Oils' music, though, is above and beyond everything else they have ever said or done.

Comment

Midnight Oil is a classic band! Peter Garrett is one gutsy talented bloke. To know the reservations people have about celebrites moving into politics and to make that jump, and believe he will put into effect what he stands for, which after several years in politics he is currently doing, it is totally inspiring and excellent to see.

Comment

Bloody great band(at least early on), it's like a doctorate thesis listening to those early albums, cramming all kinds of great stuff into a single song. Intelligent but heartfelt music,imho!.

A band for the rocker/post-punker alike, I stand by the early stuff(77-82)...Struggled with Red Sails....Don't want to say it was more commercial then previous stuff, but....

Comment

Saw them in Brisbane back in '87 (I think- its a bit hazy back then) and still love their music and political thoughts. Diesel and Dust is their stand out album for me.

Comment

Working...
                    X