Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds

Another acclaimed Australian rock act, from the early'80s to the present day, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds was one of my early 'local' rock heroes here in Oz. I grew to be very fond of their music as a young boy, and later into my teens. I still love them, especially after being floored by their fantastic 2008 album, 'Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!!'. I always sensed that Nick Cave and his Australian and other alternating foreign (Brits, Germans, Americans, Canadians, Swiss) bandmates and collaborators were highly gifted and creative artistes--- that together contrived to make some truly riveting rock music that, besides keeping us locals in thrall, also travelled famously well out of Australia to other shores, wowing and winning over other fans, overseas.

This band is labelled as 'progressive', 'alternative rock', 'post-punk', 'roots'-rock, and a few other epithets that I can't quite remember now. Fact is, the Bad Seeds, like many talented acts with multi-faceted musical influences and interests, incorporate and wear their influences on their sleeves extremely well. So, they can sound all of the above labels, but at bottom remain a 'rock' act, pure and simple. They never sound derivative, but almost always very original and unique. Having varying uses of pianos, organs, strings, keyboards, harmonica, flutes etc, should seemingly make such a band pretty much a very big turn-off to my particular passions in rock/metal, but no...Nick Cave's band is a rare exception to all that I know I like and what I don't. I love this band for what they do---with the instruments they play and the songs they write. Besides, the electric and acoustic guitar playing of Mick Harvey and another partner always ensured that the band was able to lay down rude rock guitar riffage, throughout. And it's always been an absolute treat watching them pull out all the stops, on stage. I had a lot of fun watching them live just twice, last January here in Australia, when they actually did a slew of shows in a summer festival of music, with other acts around the country.

It was very sad to see the exit of founding member and, along with Nick Cave, the only constant member in all the different band line-ups, Mick Harvey, last year. Nick and Mick, as a dynamic duo, so defined this amazing Australian act. Here's hoping that Nick continues to keep his band----with the new crew----willing and able to give us fans new great records to come.

Meantime, I'm spoilt for choice making the required 'recs' of Bad Seeds records to you all. They have a considerable career catalogue of at least a dozen studio records.

However, lemme mention some automatic personal favourites that keen new fans would do well to check out, sometime soon.

Kicking Against the Pricks
    Your Funeral, My Trial
    The Good Son
    Henry's Dream
    No More Shall We Part
    Abattoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus (double disc release)
    Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!!

And while I'm normally the last person to be buying or touting 'Best Of' releases, I'd say that The Best of Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds 'special edition' release (2008) with a separate bonus 'live' cd titled, 'Live at the Royal Albert Hall' (1997) with 9 extra studio tracks tacked on, to boot. I had bought this as an indulgence, last year. And new fans might wanna get this, first.

http://www.nickcaveandthebadseeds.com/
    http://www.myspace.com/nickcaveandthebadseeds
    Last edited by RLP4ever; 01-19-2010, 04:57 AM.
    "Actors really are the scum of the earth. Their behavior makes arrogant, overpaid rock stars appear positively noble' - Buzz Osborne

NIch cave is good, particularly the Let Love In period. Same with PJ Harvey's Bring you my love, has the same sort of feeling.

Murder Ballads was OK-ish!

Aftewr that he mellowed out, I don't like much later works

Comment

"Henry's Dream" is a must hear ! "I had a Dream Joe" is such a powerful song (The video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFc-f5K2alk).
      Tony Iommi Fact #216: In fact, most demolition companies donít use explosives to collapse buildings, only a good stereo and a copy of ďDehumanizerĒ.
      "Black Sabbath : la BÍte venue de Birmingham"

Comment

I love Nick Cave in most of his guises... Birthday Party, Bad Seeds, solo... Grinderman...

And what a complete & utter gentleman.

and of course he had the balls to bring Kylie out in front of a rabid Big Day Out audience...

Comment

Originally posted by RLP4ever View Post
          Kicking Against the Pricks
          Your Funeral, My Trial
          The Good Son
          Henry's Dream
          No More Shall We Part
          Abattoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus (double disc release)
          Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!!
          Hey, you can't do a required listening list without The Boatman's Call and Murder Ballads. I forbid it Kudos for putting a lot of their more recent releases on the list though. It might be a bit different from their early stuff, but it's easily as good in my opinion.

Anyway I'm a huge fan and I love everything in their discography. Apart from Nocturama which I will have to confess I only "like".
          http://www.last.fm/user/sirkenneth

http://xkcd.com/386/

Comment

I like Nick Cave a lot - this is one of my wife's favorite bands - we both really like Murder Ballads a lot - great Cd
            At least my hair is all mine, My teeth are my own, but everything else is on a permanent loan I'm on a low budget - Ray Davies

Comment

Hey, great to see you fans pitch in with your own thoughts about this fabulous musician and his equally gifted and entertaining band of virtuosos. Not for nothing has Nick Cave, for long been regarded an Aussie legend in rock.

Originally posted by devilmaycare
              I love Nick Cave in most of his guises... Birthday Party, Bad Seeds, solo... Grinderman...

And what a complete & utter gentleman.

and of course he had the balls to bring Kylie out in front of a rabid Big Day Out audience...
              So very true, mate. Nick's always had a kind of musical Midas touch----everything he's ever attempted has generally turned out looking golden. And yea, he's a thoroughly urbane, gracious bloke, always. Haha, bringing somebody like Kylie out in that sort of setting sure reflected his 'devilmaycare' chutzpah and a certain generosity and assuredness of spirit. All of you should (if you haven't already done so) definitely try out their latest '.....Lazarus....' album.

Originally posted by Sir Kenneth
              Hey, you can't do a required listening list without The Boatman's Call and Murder Ballads. I forbid it Kudos for putting a lot of their more recent releases on the list though. It might be a bit different from their early stuff, but it's easily as good in my opinion.

Anyway I'm a huge fan and I love everything in their discography. Apart from Nocturama which I will have to confess I only "like".
              Darn, I never loved The Boatman's Call as much as I did the rest, though it's still a fine record, no question, but yea, Murder Ballads was pretty good. And Nocturama was the only one that I can think of that blew badly and bombed with me. But hey, like you, I'm basically a big fan of their complete career discography; my recs are just my strongest favourites, by far. I love the Bad Seeds of all eras and all musical stripes.
              "Actors really are the scum of the earth. Their behavior makes arrogant, overpaid rock stars appear positively noble' - Buzz Osborne

Comment

Nick Cave is fantastic. Went to see him years ago on (i think) 'The Mercy Seat' tour. Unbelievably good. Don't know if anyone has ever heard him in The Boys Next Door doing 'Shivers', very good early stuff.

Comment

^Yea, I have heard Nick in 'The Boys Next Door' before they (Nick and mates) became The Birthday Party. All that punk, rock, and other musical experimentation threw up some great, memorable tunes. Old, outright classics, no doubt.

*Anybody here ever heard of The Saints?? They are Australia's premier, pioneering punk rockers--and I love them as much as (or even more than ) I do The Sex Pistols and The Ramones, or The Clash and some of the other early legends. They have played alongside Nick Cave, much to the delight of us fans of both bands.
                  Last edited by RLP4ever; 01-23-2010, 02:12 AM.

Comment

*Anybody here ever heard of The Saints?? They are Australia's premier, pioneering punk rockers--and I love them as much as (or even more than ) I do The Sex Pistols and The Ramones, or The Clash and some of the other early legends. They have played alongside Nick Cave, much to the delight of us fans of both bands.
                    I actually mentioned The Saints in your Sex Pistols thread when I was mentioning my fave punk bands RLP... Missed that one eh?

Comment

^ Oh yea, my careless oversight then. I obviously hadn't noticed or remembered your mention of The Saints, earlier. Good to know that you rate that great band highly, too.

Comment

Nick Cave is an enigmatic force. I love a lot of his material going back to his 'post punk' days of the 70's. I don't listen to his music much, but have a deep appreciation. Still have not got around to listening to Grinderman yet. Strange as it seems, I really enjoyed his soundtrack to the Proposition, as well as the film itself.

Comment

^ Oh yea, my careless oversight then. I obviously hadn't noticed or remembered your mention of The Saints, earlier. Good to know that you rate that great band highly, too.

The Saints were very cool, This might throw some for a loop but the Monkeypuzzle(1981) album is my favorite of theirs!.

Comment

Working...
                          X