Announcement

Collapse

Logins with New Software

If you are having problems staying logged in since the Jan 15 change to the new version of vBulletin, please go to your browser's configuration area, and delete the cookies for this website, and reboot your browser.

-- Joe
See more
See less

World's Greatest Drummer according to Rhythm Magazine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World's Greatest Drummer according to Rhythm Magazine

I just laughed my ass off after seeing this list...My favourites/the ones I appreciate are marked red. I don't have the interest to say anything more about this, I just laughed my ass off that's it.

1. Joey Jordison (Slipknot, Rob Zombie)
    2. Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater, Avenged Sevenfold)
    3. Gavin Harrison (Porcupine Tree)
    4. Neil Peart (Rush)
    5. Dave Grohl (Nirvana, Them Crooked Vultures)
    6. Travis Barker (Blink 182)
    7. Nicko McBrain (Iron Maiden)
    8. Vinnie Colaiuta (Frank Zappa, Sting, Jeff Beck)
    9. Phil Collins (Genesis)
    10. Chad Smith (Chili Peps, Chickenfoot)
    11. Brann Dailor (Mastodon)
    12. Steve Gadd (Eric Clapton, Paul Simon)
    13. Thomas Lang (solo)
    14. Stewart Copeland (Police)
    15. Terry Bozzio (Frank Zappa, solo)
    16. Josh Freese (NIN, Devo)
    17. Cozy Powell (Rainbow, Black Sabbath, Whitesnake)
    18. Jeff Porcaro (Toto)
    19. Stephen Morris (New Order)
    20. Steve White (Paul Weller)
    "He is the King of all kings, the keeper of light...He holds eternity's wings"

While there are loads of drummers on that list whose bands I am
    Not necessarily a fan of, there's no denying the talent of a guy like Mike Portnoy or any of the other guys on the list. It is however suffering from a distinct lack of Jimmy Chamberlin. I don't know how many people here are Smashing Pumpkins or Zwan fans, but that guy can do some sick things behind the kit.
    http://www.last.fm/user/sirkenneth

http://xkcd.com/386/

Comment

Where the fuck is Inferno?

Hellhammer?

Varg? (may not have been the most technically proficient drummer but he could sound fucking frantic when he wanted to).

Only drummers of worth on that list, IMO, are Peart and Travis Barker. :/

Comment

This list sucks, anything other spot other than number 1 for Peart is rediculous!
        Originally Posted by Monster Boy

Depends on who is doing the rating. If they agree with me, they've rated it just right.

Comment

Originally posted by Pink Led Rush Dio View Post
          This list sucks, anything other spot other than number 1 for Peart is rediculous!
          Bassically.

1. Joey Jordison (Slipknot, Rob Zombie)
          2. Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater, Avenged Sevenfold)
          3. Gavin Harrison (Porcupine Tree)

I've not heard of/listened to Dream Theater or Porcupine Tree, however, the other bands on that list are utter shit and a waste of sound space. Don't bother bitching me out for it because 1, I'll lose respect for you, and 2, you're wasting your time.

Neil Peart=Canadian. Do you think that has anything to do with the fact that he's behind two American drummers and a Brit? I think it's all bullshit. Fuck this list.
          "i'm 12 and i love dark sabboth"

Comment

I found it amusing that for once, John Bonham was not listed. Otherwise I could give two shits about the list.
            "Even with so much bad blood between us... It's funny... Now that I'm actually face to face with him again... The hatred is gone. All I feel is a deep sense of longing. And pity. Did Zero really hate me? Or... Did he fear me?" - Big Boss

Comment

The ignorance of this list is manifested in the absence of names like

Louie Bellson, Jon Hiseman, Billy Cobham, Carmine Appice, Keith Moon, John Bonham, Ian Paice, Bill Ward, Tommy Aldridge, Simon Phillips, Joe Franco...
              "He is the King of all kings, the keeper of light...He holds eternity's wings"

Comment

Are we not also shocked/dismayed by the lack of Bill Ward or John Bonham or Keith Moon?
                How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them.
                --Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Franklin View Post
                  Are we not also shocked/dismayed by the lack of Bill Ward or John Bonham or Keith Moon?
                  I suppose so, but let's face it: If we took 3 random people out of that list and put those 3 guys in, somewhere else on the interwebs people would start bitching and moaning
                  http://www.last.fm/user/sirkenneth

http://xkcd.com/386/

Comment

Wait... no Bob Dylan???

Blasphemy!!!

The best blueberry muffins I ever had landed 6 people in prison, three for life.

Comment

That list is The 20 greatest drummers of the last 25 years: http://www.musicradar.com/rhythm/gre...are-in-270334/

That's why the likes of Bonham, Moon and Ward aren't there.

I don't know every drummer on the list, but the ones I do aren't exactly shit at playing the drums.

For example, Stephen Morris of New Order, previously Joy Division, a band who I rate very highly. I love Joy Division for the same reasons I love Black Sabbath. They're one of those bands where every member was important, not least of all the drummer.

Joy Division - Day of the Lords: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BP-LIntM6c
                      >>TECHNICINS F SPCE
                      SHIP ERTH THIS IS
                      YR CPTIN SPEKING
                      YR PTIN IS DEA˝D<<

Comment

Or no uber-cool Lars Ulrich. I could cry a river of tears for that alone.

Gosh, yet another awfully lame list of alleged 'Greatest' ones of these very meh bands.
                        "Actors really are the scum of the earth. Their behavior makes arrogant, overpaid rock stars appear positively noble' - Buzz Osborne

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Kenneth View Post
                          While there are loads of drummers on that list whose bands I am
                          Not necessarily a fan of, there's no denying the talent of a guy like Mike Portnoy or any of the other guys on the list. It is however suffering from a distinct lack of Jimmy Chamberlin. I don't know how many people here are Smashing Pumpkins or Zwan fans, but that guy can do some sick things behind the kit.
                          Yeah, Chamberlin is an awesome and very underrated drummer, IMO.

But lists like these, they're always very subjective. Personally, I can't take a list that features Nicko McBrain very seriously and there are a few names I'd like to see on this one, like Dave Lombardo and Gene Hoglan. But what can you do...
                          Riffs
                          ________

If I had to make a list, I'd write Cozy Powell somewhere on there and then 43,084 drummers later, Vinnie Appice - hipster doofus

Comment

Working...
                          X