Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stevie Ray Vaughan (Oct. 3,1954-Aug. 27, 1990-RIP)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stevie Ray Vaughan (Oct. 3,1954-Aug. 27, 1990-RIP)

It's been exactly twenty long years, since Stevie Ray Vaughan, that irreplaceable American icon and brightest blues legend, tragically passed away in a freak copter crash, while travelling from state to state, between sell-out live gigs. It was on this date, August 27th, that Stevie left us forever. I was just short of 14 years old, at the time, but I was already a big SRV fan. I vividly remember the moment I had heard the news and just how demoralised and devastated I felt at losing one of my greatest musical heroes of all time. And the sadness and sense of loss only deepened as I grew older, and learned to appreciate the true power and majesty of Stevie's talents and musical output, even more than I did, at the time of his untimely demise. I still remember Stevie a lot of the time, and listen to his stuff, from time to time. Of my many musical idols, across genres, that have passed away, leaving me saddened and deprived of the joys I always got from them, I gotta say that SRV's death had hit me particularly hard, and I suspect that I probably never really got over it, in some sense.

Anyway, I know there are/have been some avid SRV fans, in these forums. Spare a prayer for Stevie, if you will.
    "Actors really are the scum of the earth. Their behavior makes arrogant, overpaid rock stars appear positively noble' - Buzz Osborne

I was 24, my (then) Brother-In-Law and I were getting ready to go fishing- talking to each other on the phone. I had Pride & Joy playing on my boombox (cassette tape of course) & he had Life By The Drop playing in the background. (We were both HUGE into the Blues and stripped down R & R music scene then.) Suddenly, Kurt F-ing Loder came on MTV and dropped the bomb that Stevie was gone. What a shitty day. 20 years, wow. We still play your music SRV!
    The blind men shout "Let the creatures out, we'll show the unbelievers."
    The napalm screams of human flames, of a prime time Belsen feast ... yeah!
    As the reasons for the carnage cut their meat and lick the gravy.
    We oil the jaws of the war machine and feed it with our babies.

Comment

I'm not much of a fan, but I will give credit to him where credit is due. A friend of mine from work cried his eyes out hearing about the news that day. Losing someone like that to an unnatural circumstance is a hard thing to accept. RIP Vaughan.
      "Even with so much bad blood between us... It's funny... Now that I'm actually face to face with him again... The hatred is gone. All I feel is a deep sense of longing. And pity. Did Zero really hate me? Or... Did he fear me?" - Big Boss

Comment

I remember the news coming in & hoping it was Clapton on the chopper & not SRV as the rumours spread...

We lost a great one that day...

Comment

I wasn't a huge fan, though I remember seeing him in a hot, sweaty small hall in LaPorte, Indiana in 1987. I'm glad I did. I remember he played a long show.

The guy was good, no doubt about it, though I never really saw the Hendrix comparisons. SRV wasn't as experimental as Hendrix. When I saw SRV live he had a very typical classic Texas blues Stratocaster-through-Twin Reverb sound.

The odd thing was, when he was killed he had just got clean of booze and coke a year or so before...

RLP: I seem to remember my then-penpal/heartthrob Michele from Melbourne saying that SRV had toured Australia at least once? She used to notice things like that...it really annoyed her that so many bands would go to Japan but ignore your country (can't say I blame her).
          Last edited by DiosSword; 08-27-2010, 12:27 PM.
          He is not here. He has risen!

Comment

to SRV!

I remember that day vividly. I'll be popping in Couldn't stand the weather as soon as I post this.
            The best blueberry muffins I ever had landed 6 people in prison, three for life.

Comment

I just loaded up the Boxed set into the CD player at my restaurant. No coffee house stuff tonight, SRV from now until close!!!!
              The blind men shout "Let the creatures out, we'll show the unbelievers."
              The napalm screams of human flames, of a prime time Belsen feast ... yeah!
              As the reasons for the carnage cut their meat and lick the gravy.
              We oil the jaws of the war machine and feed it with our babies.

Comment

One of THE best blues gutiarist ever. Sad day when he passed.
                "Dumb Ass" Red Foreman That 70's Show

Comment

I was on my honeymoon when Stevie Ray Vaughan died. I remember seeing the headline on a newspaper one morning when we stopped at a gas station. Yes, I was sad at the news. But truthfully, I was very busy enjoying my own life then.
                  How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them.
                  --Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Thanks a lot guys, for sharing your sentiments about SRV. It feels good to know that some of you admired and adored Stevie, the man and his music, so greatly. Cheers to that!

Originally posted by IommiRules
                    We still play your music SRV!
                    and:

I just loaded up the Boxed set into the CD player at my restaurant. No coffee house stuff tonight, SRV from now until close!!!!
                    Oh, mate, you can say that again. That's gotta be so true of us SRV die-hards, twenty years and onwards. I wish Stevie would know that we still remember and rejoice in the music and legacy he left us with. Hats off to you, IommiRules...Maybe, tonight, Stevie rules, for you!

Originally posted by devilmaycare
                    I remember the news coming in & hoping it was Clapton on the chopper & not SRV as the rumours spread...

We lost a great one that day...
                    Aw, no...c'mon mate, you can't be dead serious, eh? Why would you have hoped (at the time), that it was Eric Clapton instead, who got killed in the crash? Well, as things stood, Eric wasn't inside the chopper---neither were Buddy Guy, Robert Cray and some of the other players who played with Stevie just a few hours prior to the accident, that night. Gosh, as incredibly painful and impossible to comprehend and accept as Stevie's death was to me, I sure wouldn't want Clapton, (or anybody else) to have been the one, either. As it is, Stevie wasn't the only one killed in that tragedy.

Btw, dmc, have you ever seen SRV play 'live', anywhere?

Originally posted by devstorm
                    to SRV!
                    I remember that day vividly. I'll be popping in Couldn't stand the weather as soon as I post this.
                    I clearly remember you being a big SRV fan, dev. And yes, 'Couldn't Stand the Weather' is a great record to rock out to, in Stevie's memory. Something like The Things That I Used to Do, sends chills through my body. I must have said this before, but you know dev, Stevie's undoubted guitar-playing genius apart, I always especially adored his voice and singing. To me, Stevie was not only a better blues guitar player than many of his blues peers, but was also a superb, uniquely soul-stirring singer---better than Clapton, Buddy Guy, B.B King, Robert Cray, Albert Collins and all of the rest that I know.

Originally posted by Franklin
                    Yes, I was sad at the news. But truthfully, I was very busy enjoying my own life then.
                    That's alright, Franklin. You just described your situation, during the time....and it's perfectly natural and understandable for you to have been getting it on, with your own life. Besides, not every fan had to sob for weeks, or bring their daily lives to a near halt, to prove that they loved SRV and mourned his passing.

Originally posted by DiosSword
                    The guy was good, no doubt about it, though I never really saw the Hendrix comparisons. SRV wasn't as experimental as Hendrix. When I saw SRV live he had a very typical classic Texas blues Stratocaster-through-Twin Reverb sound.

The odd thing was, when he was killed he had just got clean of booze and coke a year or so before...

RLP: I seem to remember my then-penpal/heartthrob Michele from Melbourne saying that SRV had toured Australia at least once? She used to notice things like that...it really annoyed her that so many bands would go to Japan but ignore your country (can't say I blame her).
                    Well, I think Stevie wore his myriad influences (including Hendrix's) pretty prominently in his own playing, from time to time. And yes, he wasn't as 'experimental' (especially the psychedilic, funk and other elements) as Jimi Hendrix obviously was, in his own brief career. But, DS, I'd argue Stevie was actually pretty eclectic in his tastes, and it sure showed in his playing. There was plenty of quality jazz, swing, soul, R&B etc....in SRV's music to suggest that he wasn't just strutting straight-up Texas blues, and little else. Sure, his playing was quite rooted in traditional styles, but he was also a daring innovator who blazed the trail for 'modern' Blues-Rock by adeptly infusing his blues identity with other styles, to make compelling, unforgettable music that has many of us fans, still in his awe. I can't help but always wonder what all Stevie would have done, music-wise, had he lived. I honestly feel that, despite being a late starter, Stevie was yet to hit his musical heights, at the time of his premature passing.

I think that SRV actually toured Australia, not once, but thrice. And he became a phenomenon, in no time at all. He was right at home here, from his appearance (clothing and all), laid-back attitude, and awesome musicianship. Chris Layton, Tommy Shannon and Reese Wynans were much admired by the Aussie fans, as well. What makes Stevie's death more poignant is how he had just defeated his drug and alcohol dependence that was pushing him to near-ruin, and seemed to have found and started a new life and direction, all over again. He would regularly talk of making 'amends' with people he had hurt and let down---and urge everyone of us to take control of our lives, look out and care for each other and stuff like that. And with 'In Step', he must have made his biggest fans believe that we were all set for many more years with Stevie......Talkin' about good things...and singin' the blues.
                    "Actors really are the scum of the earth. Their behavior makes arrogant, overpaid rock stars appear positively noble' - Buzz Osborne

Comment

What's most memorable about his passing to me is that the summer after my sophomore year in college (summer 1987) a group of friends and I went to see him at what was then called Great Woods in Mansfield, MA. It was probably about 8-10 guys. We forgot to include one guy who, like the rest of us, was a big SRV fan. He called me after he heard we went to the show and laid into me for not calling him when we were getting tickets (I actually didn't organize the thing, or get the tickets for everyone, but whatever). I told him to calm down, we'd get him the next time. There was no next time. I always try to remember that when putting something off.

I'm going to go for a run and throw on Live Alive. One of the all time great live albums.
                      "But I don't want to go among mad people."
                      "Oh, you can't help that, we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
                      "How do you know I'm mad?"
                      "You must be or you wouldn't have come here."

Comment

Man, I can remember hearing the news like it was yesterday. I had just arrived at college to start a new year. Despite having several chances to see SRV, I unfortunately never did.

I'd been to Alpine Valley many times, including a few Ozzfests. It's a great place to see a show.

One of my friends is good friends with a guy who used to work as the head of entertainment hospitality for the major concert promoter in Milwaukee during the 80s and 90s. This dude's job was to take care of and entertain all of the artists who were in town. His friend was the person that shuttled SRV and some of Clapton's crew, including his manager, into that ill fated helicopter. His last words to him as he closed the door were, "Great show Stevie, see you again next year!". The he closed the helicoptor door, went back to his hotel room at Alpine Valley and was awoken by a phone call at 3:30 am, from the Chicago hotel where they were staying at, asking him where in the hell were they. He went outside and saw that emergency personnel were already on the scene of the accident.

Evidently, Clapton's manager really like this guy from his years of taking care of EC's group when they were in town that he gave him a special EC tour leather jacket.

Comment

Originally posted by RLP4ever View Post
                          Aw, no...c'mon mate, you can't be dead serious, eh? Why would you have hoped (at the time), that it was Eric Clapton instead, who got killed in the crash? Well, as things stood, Eric wasn't inside the chopper---neither were Buddy Guy, Robert Cray and some of the other players who played with Stevie just a few hours prior to the accident, that night. Gosh, as incredibly painful and impossible to comprehend and accept as Stevie's death was to me, I sure wouldn't want Clapton, (or anybody else) to have been the one, either. As it is, Stevie wasn't the only one killed in that tragedy.

Btw, dmc, have you ever seen SRV play 'live', anywhere?
                          Yeah I'm serious. I remember I was just a couple of steps up from a runaroundfortuppance record company gig & we were in the office as the rumours spread. First they said it was EC that bit the large one... then it filtered through that it was Stevie & I was thinking "Noooo... this guy has it all to do, and Clapton's a boring has-been..."

It wasn't that I wanted EC dead (can "God" die?? ) per se as I would have preferred it to be him than SRV... And let's face it... in retrospect, in would have saved us from that fucking hideous "Tears In Heaven" bullshit we had to endure...

I caught Stevie live at the Reading Festival (I'd have to check, but it may have been 83... the infamous Sabbath Stonehenge year) and also at a smaller London venue... I'm thinking Hammersmith, but not the Odeon... maybe the Palais(?) in the mid 80's sometime...

Shit. Sometimes it pays to be in your mid 40's!!!

Comment

Saw him open for Robert Plant once great show , killer player , RIP !
                            The worst Sabbath era , is when theres NO Sabbath era !

Comment

Originally posted by devilmaycare View Post
                              Yeah I'm serious. I remember I was just a couple of steps up from a runaroundfortuppance record company gig & we were in the office as the rumours spread. First they said it was EC that bit the large one... then it filtered through that it was Stevie & I was thinking "Noooo... this guy has it all to do, and Clapton's a boring has-been..."

It wasn't that I wanted EC dead (can "God" die?? ) per se as I would have preferred it to be him than SRV... And let's face it... in retrospect, in would have saved us from that fucking hideous "Tears In Heaven" bullshit we had to endure...

I caught Stevie live at the Reading Festival (I'd have to check, but it may have been 83... the infamous Sabbath Stonehenge year) and also at a smaller London venue... I'm thinking Hammersmith, but not the Odeon... maybe the Palais(?) in the mid 80's sometime...

Shit. Sometimes it pays to be in your mid 40's!!!
                              Early that morning the victims had not all yet been identified and I remember there being rumors that possibly Clapton was also among the deceased.

After the crash there were a lot of music fans engaging in the black humor of "God took the wrong guitarist". It was similar to when John Lennon was shot and killed, many were saying that they shot the wrong Beatle. At the time of Stevie's death, his reputation in the US was at it's peak. He was the man. At the same time pretty much every guitarist I knew had nothing but contempt for Clapton as someone who was peddling bland soft rock going through the motions in his Armani suits for the past 15 years.

Comment

Working...
                              X