Maiden hindsight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cosmiceddie View Post
    Apparently, some people here can't stand the fact that Iron Maiden are more popular and successful than Black Sabbath.
    Yea, riiight...And man, I can't stand you cos you're so much more 'popular' and 'successful' than I am. Cosmic, you jump in here out of the blue, and this is the best you can manage?? I know the one thing I can't stand right now, is guys like you traipsing in to some thread, to trot out these extremely snooty and silly attitudes about 'popularity' and 'success', and hence, the comparative 'greatness' of bands.

I'm fully aware of the fact that AC/DC are more popular and successful than Iron Maiden. Nevertheless, I prefer the latter to the former.
    There you go again! I guess you ought to be at any given American Idol show, instead...and come back to brag to us that you'd seen the greatest gigs, in your life. You know what, I think Slipknot have more albums sales and actual fans than Iron Maiden and AC/DC. That must make Slipknot much 'better' than those two, eh? But hey, just for the record, I do like Slipknot better.

Originally posted by nunoni
    Butt: my comment was as reportable as the previous ones on me banging undergrads. I dind't report that, but feel free to report mine.
    Then, I invite.....no, implore you to now belatedly 'report' my earlier 'undergrad' comment to whoever you want.

It's a shame that you are too stuck in your 90s prejudices to get what this topic was about... but it's your choice.
    I know that The Butt can decide to reply to this or not, since you direct this accusation at him.

Nevertheless, I can't help but retort that, if anything, it's YOUR own blatantly snobbish, pseudo-intellectual attitudes regarding '80s Metal, that has become more than a little ludicrous and wearisome, around here, lately.
    Last edited by RLP4ever; 10-31-2010, 04:41 AM.
    "Actors really are the scum of the earth. Their behavior makes arrogant, overpaid rock stars appear positively noble' - Buzz Osborne

Comment

Originally posted by RLP4ever View Post
      Then, I invite.....no, implore you to now belatedly 'report' my earlier 'undergrad' comment to whoever you want..
      mate, this isn't kindergarten. I report racist or other truly offensive comments, and spam, and that's about it. If I have strong opinions and argue them strongly, I have to be prepared to get some in return.

I wonder, it's strange that you were enfuriated what I had to say here, which was pretty uncontroversial (re-read my very first post and tell honestly to yourself that it's a load of crap); it's the sort of attitude I expect from young arrogant nkotb, which I thought you weren't. I actually thought you'd find a different view interesting. After all, both the Butt and Cosmic Eddie may have a point, some people see red with the faintest criticism of Maiden, while others see red with any praise.

Is there anything left to discuss here? THis was a (mostly) fun thread, but it ran it's course a long time ago.

Comment

This isn't kindergarten, but your recent juvenile tantrums, in the forums, make me seriously have second thoughts, I admit. I found your comment about not reporting the 'undergrad' remark to be oddly amusing. I just wanted you to know that you did nobody---certainly not me---any fucking favour, by holding back and not reporting my earlier jovial jibe at you.

You have a tendency to talk in convoluted, confusing ways in your posts here..so it isn't always easy to respond to you altogether accurately, or occasionally, wholly fairly even, perhaps. At any rate, I sure didn't think you were saying utter crap in your OP, not at all; but later, you did unravel and make a bit of a nuisance of yourself, no question. This isn't merely about THIS thread, though. My gripe about your amusing conceit about '80s metal, is that you seem to dish out some of the same old snobbery, and all-knowing condescension on this issue, over and over again, at the slightest pretext that presents itself to you. I have more reason to complain about this silliness than the next guy, in the forums, because I have had to directly deal with your attitudes, and the exasperating bollocks that you like to frequently lay out, from thread to thread, from time to time.

Lastly, while you may have started, (and tired of) this thread, I don't think it's for you to decide or declare whether it has run "its course a long time ago". Leave that to the mods---and to the other posters' willingness to say anything more here, at all.
        "Actors really are the scum of the earth. Their behavior makes arrogant, overpaid rock stars appear positively noble' - Buzz Osborne

Comment

I'll put my post as briefly and bluntly as I can.

Originally posted by nunoni View Post
          It's a shame that you are too stuck in your 90s prejudices to get what this topic was about... but it's your choice.
          I have no 90s prejudices. I enjoy metal from all decades, the 80s included. Debate fail.

Originally posted by Cosmiceddie View Post
          Apparently, some people here can't stand the fact that Iron Maiden are more popular and successful than Black Sabbath.
          No, what I can't stand is pretentious Maiden fans who tout the band off as "gods", when they most definitely are not, and who jump in with silly nonsensical retorts whenever anybody mentions the band in anything less than a positive light.

Also, popularity means nothing to me. I like black metal, ferfucksakes.

Originally posted by nunoni View Post
          After all, both the Butt and Cosmic Eddie may have a point, some people see red with the faintest criticism of Maiden, while others see red with any praise.
          I don't even "see red with any praise". Maiden are a praised band and I've grown to accept it. What I don't accept, however, is that the band are musical gods that I'm somehow too biased, jealous of, or dense to appreciate.

Comment

Maiden England, spandex 'an all

Children of The Damned BOTR '82

To Tame A Land WPT '83

Rime Of The Ancient Mariner WST '84/85

Stranger In A Strange Land SOT '86

The Evil That Men Do STOAST '88

& more recently was @ this one with the missus in the US Rime of The Ancient Mariner pt1 ~ Rime of The Ancient Marine pt2 SBIT '08

\m/

Comment

^^
              Ironsabb, now this must come as some really cool Maiden 'hindsight' or nostalgia, for the band's biggest fans.

Ever since I've been posting on this thread, two random Maiden songs have been buzzing in my ears, almost constantly. Charlotte the Harlot (Iron Maiden) and Another Life (Killers)---two of the many cool old tunes, off the only two Maiden albums I quite enjoy.
              Last edited by RLP4ever; 11-02-2010, 02:59 AM.

Comment

^
                Charlotte > 22 Acacia Avenue > Hooks In You > From Here To Eternity & as herself on Twilight Zone/Art.

The Di'Anno era was cool, Ides/Wrathchild, Phantom, Running Free, Remember Tomorrow, Transylvania/Strange World, Drifter & of course Iron Maiden (played on every tour).

What draws you to the first 2 albums, just curious ?

Comment

Ha, I think I already mentioned the reason(s), in one of my earlier posts here.

Anyway, I reckon the major reason why I still like the first two Maiden albums...IS...Paul Di'Anno. He isn't in my all-time Top 10 best metal singers, or anything like that. BUT, I remember liking Di'Anno's voice when I first heard him sing, and I still dig the unabashed punkish/rockish angle to his heavy metal vocals, on those two albums. The lyrics, the attitude and whole vibe of the band with Di'Anno was quite laid-back, organic, natural and infectiously fun. The playing, too, while not complex and 'epic' and all that jazz, was just unpretentious, straight-up early heavy metal---cool solos and all. The guitars were not lamely synthesized, there wasn't the tacky use of keyboards, the lyrics were not awash in fantasy, and we didn't have the over-rated operatic overkill of Bruce Dickinson...etc..etc..

So yea, call me a silly, ignorant idiot but although I am no Iron Maiden fan, I can own up to liking, and living with just 'IM" and 'Killers' by this band.

Comment

There was an element of complexity & great timing with Burr's stickwork,, 'arry's speed Bass & twin guitaring of Murray/Stratton > Murray/H of say POTO, Live @ The Rainbow '80 & the Japan live recordings '81 highlighted this.

Di'Anno was a Punk Rocker, as early with a band called Rock Candy, & traces of the self-destructive youths were still present in their minories on occasions @ the earlier Maiden gigs, yeah the attitude suited Paul, although boyish antic's as a performer @ times, which was prolly a weakness leading to demise, but yeah he had that raw street Punk image suited vocals to establish the band.

From the Punk vibe, Gallows covered Wrathchild well enough, had they been around with the track as their song back then they'd have done well...

\m/

Comment

I like Maiden and know this thread is old, instead of starting a new one, which doesn't make sense, I would just like to add that Maiden are one of the biggest and greatest Metal bands of all time.

I never gave the Bayley era a chance and now that I have the two Bayley albums, I have to say they're phenomenal, love these two albums and they get regular spins from me.

Such good songs and the vocals just grasp me, Blaze's voice is just incredible and I think he was a good choice for Maiden, gave them a new energy and he was full of energy on stage.

Anyone else here like the Maiden/Blaze albums?
                      "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
                      "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
                      ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Comment

Iron Maiden is definetly one of the greatest metalbands of all time. No doubt about that.

I agree with you about the Blaze-era. I dig those two albums as well. I have love for all eras of the band, as I do with Sabbath, and there's a lot of great stuff to discover outside of the "classic" eras.
                        http://struggle021hc.bandcamp.com
                        http://www.facebook.com/struggle021hc
                        http://pike.bandcamp.com
                        http://www.facebook.com/PikeSweden
                        http://www.facebook.com/DeathValleyRecords

Comment

Originally posted by Ala View Post
                          Iron Maiden is definetly one of the greatest metalbands of all time. No doubt about that.

I agree with you about the Blaze-era. I dig those two albums as well. I have love for all eras of the band, as I do with Sabbath, and there's a lot of great stuff to discover outside of the "classic" eras.
                          There isn't one song I dislike on the Blaze/Maiden albums.
                          "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
                          "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
                            I like Maiden and know this thread is old, instead of starting a new one, which doesn't make sense, I would just like to add that Maiden are one of the biggest and greatest Metal bands of all time.

I never gave the Bayley era a chance and now that I have the two Bayley albums, I have to say they're phenomenal, love these two albums and they get regular spins from me.

Such good songs and the vocals just grasp me, Blaze's voice is just incredible and I think he was a good choice for Maiden, gave them a new energy and he was full of energy on stage.

Anyone else here like the Maiden/Blaze albums?
                            I've not listened to them for ages, but I know I liked them and can remember being totally blown away by "Sign of the Cross". Classic Maiden.
                            >>TECHNICINS F SPCE
                            SHIP ERTH THIS IS
                            YR CPTIN SPEKING
                            YR PTIN IS DEA˝D<<

Comment

Originally posted by Ady View Post
                              I've not listened to them for ages, but I know I liked them and can remember being totally blown away by "Sign of the Cross". Classic Maiden.
                              Sign Of The Cross is a great song along with the Clansman, there isn't one song on either albums that I skip.

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
                                Sign Of The Cross is a great song along with the Clansman, there isn't one song on either albums that I skip.
                                They played both of those on the "Legacy Of The Beast"-tour. Absolutely brilliant.
                                http://struggle021hc.bandcamp.com
                                http://www.facebook.com/struggle021hc
                                http://pike.bandcamp.com
                                http://www.facebook.com/PikeSweden
                                http://www.facebook.com/DeathValleyRecords

Comment

Working...
                                X