Any Fans of Overkill?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Fans of Overkill?

I know there's some thrash fans around here. Any body else think these guys are awesome. I'm especially loving their latest effort, Ironbound. I've been on a huge thrash binge here lately. I started out with the big four bands, but I've started to expand further and have been listening to these guys, Exodus, Testament, and some Death Angel.
    I make the devil laugh and angels wail. Forever I will reside beyond the pale.

Love OverKill. I can't decide if their my favorite Thrash band or if their just behind Megadeth. OverKills been a lot more consistent in their album out put then Megadeth. I like Blitz's vocals, probably the best Thrash singer imo. My favorite OverKill song is "Crystal Clear" followed by "Horrorscope".
    Words laced with blasphemy, drip with sincerity. Falling into the plan, like sacrificial lambs. Hearing the words, and said rings like nail to the head. Now I can see the stars, I know we have gone too far.
    - OverKill, "Horrorscope"

Comment

Only heard some songs there and there - but I might give them more listen at some point. Trash Metal with Dan McCafferty's (Nazareth) vocals
      "The consequence of conscience/Is that you'll be left somewhere/Swinging in the air"-Ronnie James Dio (1942-2010) R.I.P. King Of Metal
      "Just take a look around you what do you see/Pain, suffering, and misery/It's not the way that the world was planned/It's a pity you don't understand" - Geezer Butler
      "If god is in heaven/How can this happen here" - Phil Lynott (1949-1986)

Comment

Seen these guys 3 times in concert. awsome show and great cd a must if a big thrash fan and if not at least get the live cd's.

Comment

Although I like loads of other thrash bands much more---and have even occasionally, semi-jokingly said that Overkill should have been called Overrated instead , fact is, I consider myself an Overkill fan. I've seen them 'live' a few times, and they were certainly one of my own major gateways into full-throttle thrash metal, in the late-80s.

I reckon my favourite Overkill albums remain their first few: Feel the Fire, Taking Over (especially so), The Years of Decay, Under the Influence, and Horrorscope. Then they needlessly followed the prevailing trend and went down 'groove' metal avenue. I like some groove metal, but not everybody--certainly not pioneering thrash acts like Overkill were able to pull it off too well, at all. I felt Overkill really sucked badly on their latter albums, I Hear Black or W.F.O onwards, though Necroshine was pretty good, I think. The only ones I haven't heard are ReliXIV and Killbox 13. So yea, after another disappointing last one, Immortalis, I had scarcely much hope for anything cool from Overkill again. But no, Ironbound, while breaking no new ground or blazing trails, is a strong, satisfying slab of thrash that took me by surprise. Overkill seemed to make a real rebound with Ironbound

Have you guys heard any of their live albums?? Wrecking Everything--Live is an especially entertaining one you might wanna get hold of, soon. I have an old fondness for metal EPs, and I remember liking Overkill's 'Fuck You' ep a lot.

For all the copious credit Metallica forever gets for being a pioneering legend in thrash, I'd say Overkill ought to get just as much , for its own contributions, in that regard.
          "Actors really are the scum of the earth. Their behavior makes arrogant, overpaid rock stars appear positively noble' - Buzz Osborne

Comment

Originally posted by RLP4ever View Post

I reckon my favourite Overkill albums remain their first few: Feel the Fire, Taking Over (especially so), The Years of Decay, Under the Influence, and Horrorscope. Then they needlessly followed the prevailing trend and went down 'groove' metal avenue. I like some groove metal, but not everybody--certainly not pioneering thrash acts like Overkill were able to pull it off too well, at all. I felt Overkill really sucked badly on their latter albums, I Hear Black or W.F.O onwards, though Necroshine was pretty good, I think. The only ones I haven't heard are ReliXIV and Killbox 13. So yea, after another disappointing last one, Immortalis, I had scarcely much hope for anything cool from Overkill again. But no, Ironbound, while breaking no new ground or blazing trails, is a strong, satisfying slab of thrash that took me by surprise. Overkill seemed to make a real rebound with Ironbound

Have you guys heard any of their live albums?? Wrecking Everything--Live is an especially entertaining one you might wanna get hold of, soon. I have an old fondness for metal EPs, and I remember liking Overkill's 'Fuck You' ep a lot.

For all the copious credit Metallica forever gets for being a pioneering legend in thrash, I'd say Overkill ought to get just as much , for its own contributions, in that regard.
            I just got Wrecking Your Neck and Wrecking Everything. Gonna listen to them at work tonight. I haven't checked out the EP's yet either because I have most of the tracks on them. Are they worth checking out? Btw, I think Killbox and ReliX are worth checking out, but you might not like them because I think they are kind of along the same lines as Immortalis, which you said you didn't care for. I however enjoyed the album myself. But to each his own. lol Glad to see I'm not alone in my love of Ironbound.
            Last edited by cwilder86; 10-17-2010, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Yes. xxxxxx
              How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them.
              --Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I like Overkill. Not my fave thrash band, but solid, enjoyable - happy to call myself a fan
                I don't need wings to reach the sky
                And I don't need hands to hold you tight...
                ~~~ Coroner ~~~

Comment

cwilder, you definitely aren't alone in liking 'Ironbound' so much. I know of a few people who are new to Overkill, and had raved about the album for weeks afterwards. It really is a swell one hour of thumping thrash by these vets. Hey, have you heard the early Overkill albums I mentioned as my favourites? You really should.

And, both those live albums are very cool; 'Wrecking Everything--Live' is arguably the better one. As for the EPs, I just have a weakness for them, and always end up buying them. Re: Overkill, there's an early self-titled ep that is just a fun listen to the band's efforts when they were just starting out. 'Fuck You' ep (four songs--two each from the first two albums and another extra track----four of the songs are 'live' versions) is a terrific listen. A 1990 re-release of the EP even has a live version of the title track, i.e 'Fuck You'. I have another cool EP, 'Live to the Core', with six songs, including an opening 'cover' track of Sabbath's Hole in the Sky.

Also, since you mention being on a thrash metal listening binge lately, and have already checked out ace acts like Death Angel, Testament and Exodus, I reckon you should soon try out albums by other heavy-hitters like Dark Angel, Forbidden, Sepultura, Sadus, Sodom, Nuclear Assault, Destruction etc....
                  "Actors really are the scum of the earth. Their behavior makes arrogant, overpaid rock stars appear positively noble' - Buzz Osborne

Comment

Originally posted by RLP4ever View Post
                    cwilder, you definitely aren't alone in liking 'Ironbound' so much. I know of a few people who are new to Overkill, and had raved about the album for weeks afterwards. It really is a swell one hour of thumping thrash by these vets. Hey, have you heard the early Overkill albums I mentioned as my favourites? You really should.

And, both those live albums are very cool; 'Wrecking Everything--Live' is arguably the better one. As for the EPs, I just have a weakness for them, and always end up buying them. Re: Overkill, there's an early self-titled ep that is just a fun listen to the band's efforts when they were just starting out. 'Fuck You' ep (four songs--two each from the first two albums and another extra track----four of the songs are 'live' versions) is a terrific listen. A 1990 re-release of the EP even has a live version of the title track, i.e 'Fuck You'. I have another cool EP, 'Live to the Core', with six songs, including an opening 'cover' track of Sabbath's Hole in the Sky.

Also, since you mention being on a thrash metal listening binge lately, and have already checked out ace acts like Death Angel, Testament and Exodus, I reckon you should soon try out albums by other heavy-hitters like Dark Angel, Forbidden, Sepultura, Sadus, Sodom, Nuclear Assault, Destruction etc....
                    I definitely agree with you about their early albums. Feel The Fire all the way through Horrorscope these guys were on fire. I felt like they start to slide on I Hear Black, but I won't pass too much judgement on the album yet because I think I need more listens on it before deciding what I really think of it. I listened to the live albums at work last night and it sounds like these guys are also a good live band. It's been 8 years since their last live album. I think it's time for a new one, especially since Ironbound seems to be a hit among many. Hopefully, if they do put out a new live album soon, it'll be a double live album again. As for the EP's, I think I'll grab the "Fuck You!! And Then Some" since it features both their EP's in one disc. I will definitely look into some of those bands you suggested, but it might take awhile because I might be stuck on Overkill for awhile. These guys have an ass ton of albums!

Comment

I'm a bit of a Clifford. LOVE the EP, LOVE the first album, like a couple songs on the second album. And that was it, didn't like the rest at all - Until the most recent album, which is a total fucking masterpiece.

All the best,
                      PAULIE
                      http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-UoulA6r90n...ill%2Bward.JPG

Comment

Originally posted by Paulie 88 View Post
                        I'm a bit of a Clifford. LOVE the EP, LOVE the first album, like a couple songs on the second album. And that was it, didn't like the rest at all - Until the most recent album, which is a total fucking masterpiece.

All the best,
                        PAULIE
                        Wow, I'm surprised. Most people that I've talked to that like any Overkill, absolutely love The Years Of Decay and more than a few songs on on Taking Over. But every body's different. lol

Comment

Wow. I never thought there would be any other Overkill appreciators as me. For me, as MattSabb, Overkill is my favorite Thrash Metal band. Well, if I have a Top 3, you can include Overkill, Megadeth and Metal Church. Screw Mettallica, that is for kids.

Overkill is a solid band, with a huge repertory of neck wrecking songs. For me there is no weak album, only weak songs. I, for one, don't like The Year of Decay, but I know dudes who love it, so who knows?

Wrecking Everything is one of the most awesome live cds I've ever heard. I even avoid playing it while I'm driving 'cause I'm afraid of getting speed fines and even an accident due the violence and intensity of the songs.

So, summoning, Overkill does kill other thrash bands for me.
                          Can't you see what I see
                          You and I victims of Their word
                          As the master of power
                          Try to poison our world
                          ----- Eternal Idol ~ 1987

Comment

I have been delving into Overkill's catalogue lately and yep they are good. For me, they are a band that took a while to get good and find their identity, but once they did boy did/do they ever cook. The new album is amazing. One of the things that is good about them is that even though they are "thrash" they don't fully pigeonhole themselves there; they explore other heavy directions and are always tuneful (that is, there is something to "hum", which is different from some thrash-and-heavier bands). They mix things up and keep things interesting, while still always sounding like Overkill. I dig that.

Comment

It's been a while listening to them on Satellite Radio, but from what I heard, I'm considering in digging deeper into their catalog sometime soon.
                              "Even with so much bad blood between us... It's funny... Now that I'm actually face to face with him again... The hatred is gone. All I feel is a deep sense of longing. And pity. Did Zero really hate me? Or... Did he fear me?" - Big Boss

Comment

Working...
                              X