Announcement

Collapse

Logins with New Software

If you are having problems staying logged in since the Jan 15 change to the new version of vBulletin, please go to your browser's configuration area, and delete the cookies for this website, and reboot your browser.

-- Joe
See more
See less

Operation: Mindcrime

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Operation: Mindcrime

what an album queensryche released. just got this out again and cant believe how much better its got. loved it before, absolutely drool over it now. anyone else love this album?
    Try your hardest, you'll still be a loser
    The world will still be turning when you're gone

Yes this is a fantastic album. It has held up extremely well.
    The time it is coming when all life will end,
    With doomsday approaching to hell we'll descend.
    Religion won't save me, the damage is done.
    The future has ended before it's begun.

Comment

'Operation: Mindcrime' is without a shadow of a doubt one of the best Metal albums ever. There's just one song I don't like, 'Suite Sister Marie'.

Comment

Like many great bands, The Ryche's first few (5 for me for this band) albums just keep getting better and better. Arguably, Empire was the peak for the band- but Mindcrime is their Masterpiece.
        The blind men shout "Let the creatures out, we'll show the unbelievers."
        The napalm screams of human flames, of a prime time Belsen feast ... yeah!
        As the reasons for the carnage cut their meat and lick the gravy.
        We oil the jaws of the war machine and feed it with our babies.

Comment

Mindcrime is probably the best concept album ever written...followed closely by Magica and Tenth Dimension...

The story is just brilliant...very movie like...I always visualise the story in my head while listening the album...

Comment

I love Mindcrime. Used to listen to the shit out of this one back in the day. Hell I even enjoy Mindcrime II which I'm sure I'll probably be in the minority on here. Not as good as the first, but good.
            I make the devil laugh and angels wail. Forever I will reside beyond the pale.

Comment

I like Eyes of a Stranger and the 3 first minutes or so of Suite Sister Mary. Anything else on that album I can barely even remember, so yeah, not a huge fan!
              http://www.last.fm/user/sirkenneth

http://xkcd.com/386/

Comment

Originally posted by IommiRules View Post
                Like many great bands, The Ryche's first few (5 for me for this band) albums just keep getting better and better. Arguably, Empire was the peak for the band- but Mindcrime is their Masterpiece.
                "Rage for Order" is an epic masterpiece as well, I've had that album in my regular rotation for the last year.
                The time it is coming when all life will end,
                With doomsday approaching to hell we'll descend.
                Religion won't save me, the damage is done.
                The future has ended before it's begun.

Comment

I am a fan of Queensryche's earliest albums, including Operation: Mindcrime. As I seem to prefer some of the earlier efforts, however, there is an element of feeling Mindcrime might be a tad overrated, though as already said I do like it.

In the area of dark concept albums, I love Saga's Generation 13. This album, in my opinion, has a darker concept, carries the concept more cohesively throughout, and is every bit as good a listen as Mindcrime. Yet it remains painfully unknown. Put in perspective, at rateyourmusic.com it has 80 ratings to Queensryche's 2685 ratings.
                  How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them.
                  --Benjamin Franklin

Comment

My favorite concept album of all time and easily in my top 20 albums ever. It still pops up in my regular rotation. It seems about once a year i'll go through a long streak of listening to this album along with Queensryche's other great material. I still can't firgure out how a band can go from being as great as they were from '83-'94 to being so unlistenable and tunring out the garbage they have since Q2K. Easily the band that tops my list when it comes to a band I loved that has disappointed me the most with how average they've become.
                    Nobody will ever let you know
                    When you ask the reason why
                    They just tell you that you're on your own
                    Fill your head all full of lies

Comment

I liked it a lot when it first came out. And I still consider it one of their better albums. However in the last 10 years or so I prefer Rage For Order a little more. But it's a cool album for sure.
                      The best blueberry muffins I ever had landed 6 people in prison, three for life.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksabbath View Post
                        what an album queensryche released. just got this out again and cant believe how much better its got. loved it before, absolutely drool over it now. anyone else love this album?
                        To me it's one of my Top 5 albums of all time by anyone - ever. It's fucking fantastic. Here's what I wrote about it on my CD blog (referencing the 2003 Remaster edition):

Well, this is it. Ryche's best album. I said it back in 1988 that this was the best album they'd ever record, and as I write this in 2003, that statement holds. Mindcrime is brilliant, a concept album that works, the music stands alone when it has to, and works as a story when listened all the way through. The lyrics are great, the music is spectacular, and every song is a 10 for me. This is one of my Top 5 albums of all time by any band - and is definitely what I consider to be a "Desert Island" disc. Get this. NOW! This remaster was released in May of 2003, and has two extra (and useless, IMHO) tracks added on, but the base album is still just as great as it was 15 years ago!

This remaster was released May 6, 2003.
                        I bought this the day it came out in 1998, as I had been a Queensryche fan for a few years at that point. The press was making it out to be a metal version of Pink Floyd.

As long as we're talking about this, here's what I wrote about Operation Mindcrime II:

I've waited 18 years for this album to come out. In all that time I've had many a year to build up Mindcrime 1 onto the pedestal it's on in my mind.

Very VERY worthy sucessor. I was worried it was gonna be crap. I shouldn't have been - I liked it a lot. It's kind of hard for me to pick out specific reasons as to why. It's a gut feeling. It's easily their best album since the original Mindcrime. I really thought this wasn't going to work, and it does.

My favorites are "I'm American", "One Foot in Hell", "Hands", "The Chase", and "A Junkie's Blues".

The main reason Sabbath fans will want to hear is is Track 10, the one with Ronnie James Dio as Dr. X. That track is one of the better ones, and when Ronnie & Geoff harmonize, there's a good power in their vocals there. The biggest downside to me is that in a lot of places, Geoff's vocals are muddied - I think it's impossible to follow the story without a lyric sheet. I didn't have that kind of problem with the original album from 1988.

Update Sep 2007: Sometime during this summer, the album just "clicked" for me. It still isn't as awesome as Part 1, but this became elevated beyond my original opinion above. I'm now of the ilk of when I listen to both of them back to back, Part 2 isn't a letdown like it used to be. Sometime this summer, I "got it", and really started to love this album a lot. Definitely more than worth it.
                        Originally posted by Cosmiceddie View Post
                        'Operation: Mindcrime' is without a shadow of a doubt one of the best Metal albums ever. There's just one song I don't like, 'Suite Sister Marie'.
                        Suite Sister Mary (spell, dude! <g>) is by far my single most favorite Queensryche track - bar none. There's no 'ryche song I like better than that.

Originally posted by Charger View Post
                        Mindcrime is probably the best concept album ever written...followed closely by Magica and Tenth Dimension...
                        Magica? The only way I liked that album was to forget about the concept. That 18 minute speech at the end? Unlistenable. Once I forgot about the concept, I liked that album, but this isn't really a Dio thread.

I also suggest you look at Savatage (who now go under the name Trans-Siberian Orchestra). Their albums "Dead Winter Dead" and "Streets". Great concept albums.

But I digress... Back to Queensryche talk.

Originally posted by Franklin View Post
                        I am a fan of Queensryche's earliest albums, including Operation: Mindcrime. As I seem to prefer some of the earlier efforts, however, there is an element of feeling Mindcrime might be a tad overrated, though as already said I do like it.
                        If you count the original EP, it makes Mindcrime album #4. I wouldn't call that "earliest".
                        Last edited by Joe Siegler; 11-07-2010, 05:19 PM.
                        Joe Siegler, Webmaster - Black Sabbath Online
                        View my CD collection | View my movie collection | What I've been listening to

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels." (Matthew 25:41)

Comment

Originally posted by Sabbathfan78 View Post
                          I still can't firgure out how a band can go from being as great as they were from '83-'94 to being so unlistenable and tunring out the garbage they have since Q2K. Easily the band that tops my list when it comes to a band I loved that has disappointed me the most with how average they've become.
                          Have you given "Tribe" a try recently? I saw them 4 times on that tour, they were THAT on it. DeGarmo came back and helped in the studio for Tribe and his energy shows, for me. There is 1 song on it at the bottom of my Ryche pile (Doin' Fine) but there are 2 more close to their best ever (Open and the title track.) If you've got it, give it another try. I think you might be pleasantly surprised. Peace.
                          The blind men shout "Let the creatures out, we'll show the unbelievers."
                          The napalm screams of human flames, of a prime time Belsen feast ... yeah!
                          As the reasons for the carnage cut their meat and lick the gravy.
                          We oil the jaws of the war machine and feed it with our babies.

Comment

Aah yes, a reminder of Operation: Mindcrime. I haven't played the album for quite some time; although seeing this thread is making me want to revisit it again.

As for the discography now, for me anything between the EP up through Promised Land are all solid pieces of music. You see a slow evolution of their sound each record while still maintaining elements of Queensryche's core sound.

Have you given "Tribe" a try recently? I saw them 4 times on that tour, they were THAT on it. DeGarmo came back and helped in the studio for Tribe and his energy shows, for me. There is 1 song on it at the bottom of my Ryche pile (Doin' Fine) but there are 2 more close to their best ever (Open and the title track.) If you've got it, give it another try. I think you might be pleasantly surprised. Peace.
                            I know this wasn't addressed to me, but I just gave Tribe a listen this week. And I must say that those 2 tracks, along with Art of Life and Desert Dance are really good songs. And even though it didn't make it on, Justified (found on their Sign of the Times compilation) was originally intended for Tribe. It's just too bad that DeGarmo left again before they could finish the song.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Siegler View Post
                              If you count the original EP, it makes Mindcrime album #4. I wouldn't call that "earliest".
                              I would, but let me be more clear.
                              The "early" period would extend from 1983 to 1990 (7 years):
                              1983 Queensryche
                              1984 The Warning
                              1986 Rage For Order
                              1988 Mindcrime
                              1990 Empire

The 20 years since would constitute the not-so-early period.

It might just be my perspective, but that 20 years seems like a long time, and that earlier 7 years seems like a long time AGO.
                              Last edited by Franklin; 11-07-2010, 08:02 PM.
                              How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them.
                              --Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                              X