Best British Rock Band EVER!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best British Rock Band EVER!

Since I've been revisiting, and listening to quite a lot of classic British Rock lately---and I've even written related threads on the topic, in the forums, I just dreamed up yet another poll for personal strongest favourite British rock band---of all time.

I have to admit that 'Rock' (whether British or any other) is definitely a pretty broad term encompassing a truly diverse range of styles and various spin-offs and 'sub-genres' . Indeed, we owe the birth and development of 'heavy metal' to roots in Rock. Anyway, I reckon we all know what we mean when we start talkin' about Rock, in the forums.

Although I'm overwhelmingly a metal-mad fan, I still love a few of the legendary British rock acts, from the past. It's devilishly difficult to vote for a single outright favourite band here...but I'm gonna try really hard. You do the same...and let's see how the votes shape up.

edit: I'm gonna be the first to admit how, once again, with the maximum of 10 choices available, I had to reluctantly leave out many other worthy names in the annals of British Rock...e.g. The Animals, Cream, Fleetwood Mac, The Yardbirds, Genesis, Hawkwind, Traffic, David Bowie, Elton John, Jethro Tull, and possibly many more.

Nevertheless, I think I have put up ten of the strongest contenders here for any poll on British Rock, anywhere.

Now vote!
    Deep Purple
    25.58%
    Led Zeppelin
    23.26%
    The Beatles
    11.63%
    The Who
    2.33%
    The Rolling Stones
    4.65%
    Yes
    0.00%
    The Kinks
    2.33%
    Pink Floyd
    18.60%
    Queen
    6.98%
    Status Quo
    4.65%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by RLP4ever; 11-18-2010, 05:53 AM.
    "Actors really are the scum of the earth. Their behavior makes arrogant, overpaid rock stars appear positively noble' - Buzz Osborne

I'm having a really tough time voting, on every one of my polls. Lol

On this one, (and although I like some of the other bands a fair bit, too) it really came down to a crazy cliff-hanger between Led Zeppelin, The Kinks, and The Who. After five minutes of being torn into deciding among these three British rock legends, I ended up settling on Led Zeppelin.
    "Actors really are the scum of the earth. Their behavior makes arrogant, overpaid rock stars appear positively noble' - Buzz Osborne

Comment

Deep Purple for me.

Blackmore and Lord's report both on record and on stage was truly something special. In my mind they are both some of the finest musicians on their respective instruments and the way they play and compliment each other just sounds so effortless, beautiful and perfect. Ian Paice is hands down one of the most underappreciated drummers in the history of rock 'n' roll and David Coverdale and Ian Gillan are my 2 favourite singers in the world after Ronnie James Dio.

So Deep Purple for me. Also though Black Sabbath is my favourite band, Deep Purple is the only other band that occasionally makes me waiver in my faith, so I couldn't really pick anyone else
      Last edited by Sir Kenneth; 11-18-2010, 06:11 AM.
      http://www.last.fm/user/sirkenneth

http://xkcd.com/386/

Comment

DP by a long shot, they are in my top 5 bands of all time, whereas the other nominees don't even scratch the top 20.
        "The consequence of conscience/Is that you'll be left somewhere/Swinging in the air"-Ronnie James Dio (1942-2010) R.I.P. King Of Metal
        "Just take a look around you what do you see/Pain, suffering, and misery/It's not the way that the world was planned/It's a pity you don't understand" - Geezer Butler
        "If god is in heaven/How can this happen here" - Phil Lynott (1949-1986)

Comment

Went with The Who ,,, thought hard about Yes and Led Zep though.

Appreciate there's a limit of 10, still would have been nice to have got Emerson Lake and Palmer on there ... perhaps at the expense of Status Quo (lights fuse and steps well back ...).
          My name is Lucifer please take my hand.

Comment

Fab Four for sure.

Comment

Pink Floyd
              We donít see things as they are; we see them as we are.

Comment

Deep Purple
                http://wickedinquisition.bandcamp.com/

Comment

Jon Lord.

Lord's keyboard made the difference for me. I was torn between Zep, Queen, Purple & Floyd. Zep, what the hell can be said- they're Led Zeppelin- they rock. Queen was very British, Freddie ever the showman and a helluva underrated musician and singer/songwriter.

Pink Floyd Mk II, the classic lineup of Waters/Mason/Wright/Gilmour were just beasts. When you consider the influence of just Dark Side and The Wall, the fact that the individual songs are not traditionally commercial yet get played everytime you change a radio station, amazing. These 2 masterpieces are forever a part of the rock and roll psyche. Then throw in another 6 or 7 all time classic albums on top of that. They define so many aspects of rock music. Then to suffer the loss of Waters and all he brought to the band and put out 2 more incredible releases shows how talented the WHOLE band was. Top notch music always.

And then there is DP. Ritchie- world class guitarist. Ian G- world class vocalist. Roger- world class bassist/producer. Ian P- world class drummer. Jon- world class keys. But the way Purple's key's and guitar blended and made such a sonic wall is what tipped my vote to DP. Highway Star, Perfect Strangers, Burn, Stormbringer, Hush, Fire In The Basement, Anya... no matter the singer- as long as it was Blackmore and Lord with Paice and Glover behind them- magic was made.

Good poll question, I'm going to enjoy seeing people's responses.
                  The blind men shout "Let the creatures out, we'll show the unbelievers."
                  The napalm screams of human flames, of a prime time Belsen feast ... yeah!
                  As the reasons for the carnage cut their meat and lick the gravy.
                  We oil the jaws of the war machine and feed it with our babies.

Comment

Queen for me, by a long way.
                    I don't need wings to reach the sky
                    And I don't need hands to hold you tight...
                    ~~~ Coroner ~~~

Comment

Aha, cool to see the thread get so many hits already, but fewer responses (than votes) than I'd have expected.

So, unsurprisingly really, Deep Purple is the early front-runner right now. I actually expected DP and/or the Beatles to be leading, from the start. But IommiRules, while I also wanna see more responses coming in, a few people, so far, have only stated the band they voted for, and made no other comment. Great to read your own take, though, on your pick, Deep Purple, and the greatness of Pink Floyd. As for me, I know I like only 'select' DP, and ditto Floyd.

Originally posted by KiloDeltaCharlie
                      Went with The Who ,,, thought hard about Yes and Led Zep though.
                      Appreciate there's a limit of 10, still would have been nice to have got Emerson Lake and Palmer on there ... perhaps at the expense of Status Quo (lights fuse and steps well back ...)
                      Wow, kudos for nodding the way of The Who . Like I said, I was literally torn three ways apart, deciding between The Who, Zeppelin and the Kinks. Heck, I just went for Zeppelin, eventually.

Sorry mate, for having to leave out ELP here.....But hey, what's with lighting a live fuse and stepping back (over the comment about SQ) ? No imminent bar-room brawl over bands, on this thread, I reckon. lol....Seriously, Charlie, although I was never a big Status Quo fan, I decided I had to include them here, cos man, the Quo were pretty huge, highly popular, and critically and commercially successful, for most of the '70s.

Originally posted by -E5150 StarWanderer-
                      DP by a long shot, they are in my top 5 bands of all time, whereas the other nominees don't even scratch the top 20.
                      Oh really? That's an interesting revelation, Star. I mean, I guess you aren't much of a fan of Brit rock, but to learn that, save DP, none of the others even figures in your 'top 20' is quite startling, in a sense. I think DP will pick up several more votes, if more guys drop by to at least click and vote on the poll.

Originally posted by Sir Kenneth
                      Also though Black Sabbath is my favourite band, Deep Purple is the only other band that occasionally makes me waiver in my faith, so I couldn't really pick anyone else.
                      Although I don't feel similarly, but I can at least amply appreciate the stuff you described about the great appeal of Deep Purple to you. I know how there are tons of others like you, who see it exactly the way you do, about DP.

Now, to be savagely sincere, for all my lasting love for Black Sabbath, they have never really been my 'favourite' band. Despite being besotted with those early Ozzy-era classics, I think I've always had tons of other bands I love more than I do Black Sabbath. For the record, even on this poll, I suspect that I love Zeppelin, The Who and The Kinks, all three of them, a little bit more than I do Sabbath. Lol

Comment

The Beatles. I mean, come on man! As far as cultural impact, quality music, influence, nobody else comes close. Now if the question is "hard rock band" then the Beatles do not qualify.

Comment

Originally posted by RLP4ever View Post
                          a few people, so far, have only stated the band they voted for, and made no other comment.
                          I'll add a bit, in respect of being the only one (so far) to vote for Queen. I like Zeppelin now and again, Purple occasionally, but neither is even in my top 100 bands (...probably - I haven't actually written one down )

Queen, however have created some truly majestic music, and Freddie was an astonishing vocalist/frontman. I don't really consider them as being within the boundaries of my normal tastes, but when I revisit the early albums they just scream class in places... despite the quality being pretty patchy overall.

A band far from consistent, and far from being to my taste, their albums contain a large amount of crap, but the good stuff is just SO good it far transcends all others in this poll for me.
                          I don't need wings to reach the sky
                          And I don't need hands to hold you tight...
                          ~~~ Coroner ~~~

Comment

RLP you've done a good job of assembling the vast majority of bands that most people would traditionally think of as "British Rock Bands" although I have to admit I have no idea who Status Quo is. And, with the exception of Queen, and of course SQ, I own at least a little of every band's catalog. For me this could be close, with The Beatles and The Stones battling it out for supremacy. But the Stones' catalog has a few too many misses (Black and Blue, Dirty Work, Bridges to Babylon). And when both bands really nailed it ("the white album," Exile on Main St.) The Beatles had more going on in terms of variety. Zeppelin's third, although the gap between 2 and 3 is pretty wide, much wider than that between 1 and 2. I'd probably place Purple 4th and The Who 5th but those two are almost interchangeable. After that, I'd go with The Kinks, Floyd and Yes. Sometimes I can listen to some Queen. Other times I might put them 10th, after the band I don't even know.
                            "But I don't want to go among mad people."
                            "Oh, you can't help that, we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
                            "How do you know I'm mad?"
                            "You must be or you wouldn't have come here."

Comment

gotta be the beatles. i mean, what immediately comes to mind when you hear the phrase 1960's?
                              Try your hardest, you'll still be a loser
                              The world will still be turning when you're gone

Comment

Working...
                              X