Your favourite AUSTRALIAN rock band?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your favourite AUSTRALIAN rock band?

Because people have been talking about a poll like this in some of the other threads, I decided to get it over with and actually make it

PS.

I know that there are tons of popular/great Aussie bands which did not make it to the final 9. Silverchair probably deserved to be in the poll and so did Powderfinger, Crowded House, Billy Thorpe and the Aztecs, and the list goes on and on and on. I tried to nominate bands which I've seen people talk about here, so hopefully I didn't miss the favourite Aussie band of too many members
    AC/DC
    61.82%
    Rose Tattoo
    5.45%
    Buffalo
    7.27%
    Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
    3.64%
    INXS
    3.64%
    The Swans
    0.00%
    Midnight Oil
    3.64%
    Cold Chisel
    0.00%
    Wolfmother
    5.45%
    Other (please specify)
    9.09%
    Last edited by Sir Kenneth; 11-23-2010, 04:30 AM.
    http://www.last.fm/user/sirkenneth

http://xkcd.com/386/

Voted AC/DC but thought hard about voting for Wolfmother (hadn't actually realised they were Aussie!) love what I've heard but really need to hear a little more of them. Love some of Nick Caves stuff too ... then again some of it sucks!

Off Topic - Australia ... time to kiss the Ashes goodbye!
    My name is Lucifer please take my hand.

Comment

Hey, anyone know the hot looking blond chic's name form Australia who plays guitar, I was looking at some Sturgis Bike Rally pics last night that my brother took, and he had some killer shots of her, her band played at Sturgis this year... I've been out to Bike Week a couple times, but they have new huge stages now, and mutiple big name bands playing throughout the week. She was real cute, young, and played a killer guitar...my bro couldn't remember her name or the band, anyone know who Im talking about?
      "Music is so sacred to me that I cant hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
      R. Blackmore

Comment

Been listening to Fraternity a lot lately, so I'll pick "Other (please specify)".
        We dont see things as they are; we see them as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Kenneth View Post
          Because people have been talking about a poll like this in some of the other threads, I decided to get it over with and actually make it

PS.

I know that there are tons of popular/great Aussie bands which did not make it to the final 9. Silverchair probably deserved to be in the poll and so did Powderfinger, Crowded House, Billy Thorpe and the Aztecs, and the list goes on and on and on. I tried to nominate bands which I've seen people talk about here, so hopefully I didn't miss the favourite Aussie band of too many members
          Oh, cheers to ya, Ken, for swiftly starting this thread on Aussie rock bands,...right after DiosSword and I talked about it, in his Canadian rock bands thread, yesterday. Cool to see this poll.

Now, excepting AC/DC, I honestly like/love all the rest of the bands on your list. I even have forum threads here, on three of them.

I'd have thought The Bee Gees, (despite being born and mostly raised in England, but they are still aussie) and phenomenally popular abroad, would figure here. A lot of Australian country music is pretty darn original and wildly popular, at home and away. Guys and gals like Keith Urban, Lee Kernaghan, Kasey Chambers, Gina Jeffreys would be fair contenders to appear on any poll. Mental As Anything, Noiseworkds, The Angels, Regurgitator, Spiderbait, Icehouse, Peter Allen are a bunch of highly reputed bands/artistes that spring to mind as worthy mentions had the poll allowed more than ten choices.

You're also right on the money about some of the other acts that you cite here, but didn't include in your final list of nine bands. I'm very tempted to choose 'Other' and mention any one of the several superb Australian 'extreme metal' bands that I've loved most, from the start. However, I'd rather not...and instead vote for one of the nine bands I see here.

At any rate, the Australian music scene (and there are reputed acts of nearly every genre here in this country) has long ago largely stepped out of the shadows of American/British influence and dominance. Today, there are tons of very talented, original, and successful Australian artistes, in every genre, many of whom are little-known outside our shores. Our annual 'The Big Day Out' festival has got to be one of the greatest musical expositions in the world, of local and foreign acts. Ken, I hope you have been there at one, in your time in Oz. There are very many music academies (and universities, and even philanthropists) to which many popular, successful Aussie bands owe a whole lot, for all kinds of sustained support they have got from them.

The Q Club in Melbourne has been one of my favourite hang-outs for seeing and savouring quality aussie rock and other music, since my high school years. And my own Adelaide has been the city of origin of the famed Australian 'pub rock' scene, that has spawned several top bands, over the years.

Anyway, I won't rudely ramble and bore you all any further.

After a desperately difficult tug-of-war between Rose Tattoo, Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, The Swans, Cold Chisel, Midnight Oil and Buffalo, all bands I adore, to varying extents...I'm gonna sweat over it no more....and sincerely vote for pioneering Aussie heavy metal honchos, Buffalo.

edit: Ady is right, Buffalo is just awesome, all on its own.
          Last edited by RLP4ever; 11-23-2010, 07:29 AM.
          "Actors really are the scum of the earth. Their behavior makes arrogant, overpaid rock stars appear positively noble' - Buzz Osborne

Comment

I didn't even have to think about this, Buffalo.

Volcanic Rock is one of the best hard rock albums of all time. Dave Tice is one of the best hard rock vocalists of all time. Amazing.
            >>TECHNICINS F SPCE
            SHIP ERTH THIS IS
            YR CPTIN SPEKING
            YR PTIN IS DEA˝D<<

Comment

Originally posted by KiloDeltaCharlie
              Off Topic - Australia ... time to kiss the Ashes goodbye!
              Hey Charlie, that's ridiculously premature, mate....Don't get too far ahead of yourself before the Ashes have even begun, eh. Last time Glenn McGrath predicted we'd win 5-0, we actually did. But ok, this time I'm punting that even with this very ordinary, inconsistent side we've got, we'd still pummel the Poms 2-1, eventually...in our backyard, this summer. So, tell Strauss and lads to kiss their wives and girlfriends real good, before embarking on their long--losing--summer tour Down Under.

edit: Ken, did you vote for the incomparable Nick Cave? I would, too, if Buffalo didn't get in the way, you know.
              Last edited by RLP4ever; 11-23-2010, 07:33 AM.
              "Actors really are the scum of the earth. Their behavior makes arrogant, overpaid rock stars appear positively noble' - Buzz Osborne

Comment

Gonna have to familiarize myself with Wolfmother, Buffalo, The Swans and Cold Chisel before I vote. HATE AC/DC after Back In Black. Love Midnight Oil, Icehouse (Electric Blue, right?), INXS, Nick Cave...

Gotta go do some listening... Oh what a shame, huh?
                The blind men shout "Let the creatures out, we'll show the unbelievers."
                The napalm screams of human flames, of a prime time Belsen feast ... yeah!
                As the reasons for the carnage cut their meat and lick the gravy.
                We oil the jaws of the war machine and feed it with our babies.

Comment

Originally posted by RLP4ever View Post
                  Hey Charlie, that's ridiculously premature, mate....Don't get too far ahead of yourself before the Ashes have even begun, eh. Last time Glenn McGrath predicted we'd win 5-0, we actually did. But ok, this time I'm punting that even with this very ordinary, inconsistent side we've got, we'd still pummel the Poms 2-1, eventually...in our backyard, this summer. So, tell Strauss and lads to kiss their wives and girlfriends real good, before embarking on their long--losing--summer tour Down Under.
                  Risen to the bait like a true Aussie!

In all seriousness I think it could be close this time. But we'll be playing with 10 men since Pietersen has done sod all in ages, and they'll still pick him for his past glories!
                  My name is Lucifer please take my hand.

Comment

MEN AT WORK!

kidding, I do like "Land down under" though. Went with AC/DC.

Comment

Was into Destryer 666 a while back, but as most extreme metal bands they get somewhat repetitive & more expense with headache pills.

I have I Killed The Prom Queen & Alchemist albums, the only INXS album i had was Kick '87 & Rose Tattoo's Assault & Battery '82, & did buy a copy of Buisiness As Usual from Men At Work, Acca Dacca get the vote i 'spose although their roots are from Scotland...not much is there Lol!

Think their music output's more pop 'aint it, Savage Garden, Delta Goodram, Holly Valance, Nat Imbruglia, Dani & Kylie, Tina Arena not forgetting the mighty Rolf Harris, complete with didgereedoo, wobble board, Two Little Boys & crap paintings

Shout to Bob Daisley though

Comment

Yet another poll that isn't really my thing! Since I don't know most of these bands either!

But I'll still go with AC/DC...simply put, they rock.

Comment

I voted AC/DC, Powerage is a great album, my favourite of theirs... but I wasn't familiar with Buffalo before now, who sound great from what I've heard today.

I like a bit of Virgin Black occasionally, but like a lot of gothic stuff it's variable.
                          I don't need wings to reach the sky
                          And I don't need hands to hold you tight...
                          ~~~ Coroner ~~~

Comment

I'm only familiar with AC/DC and Wolfmother. Went with AC/DC.
                            Monty Python and the Holy Grail pic extravaganza! http://www.black-sabbath.com/vb/showthread.php?t=31523

Comment

That one band with the lightning bolt in the name.
                              "The lover of life's not a sinner
                              The ending is just a beginner
                              The closer you get to the meaning
                              The sooner you know that you're dreaming..."

RIP Ronnie James Dio

Comment

Working...
                              X